IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Aesthetic Vedanta

Rate this topic

From another posting:

This is explained in

greater detail in my book, 'Aesthetic Vedanta: The Sacred Path of Passionate Love'

I was wondering if anyone who has read this book can give a review. I have seen discussion of it in various places but have never seen it in my local book store (I tend to go to Barnes & Nobles, which has carried other Mandala books). I like the title as I think Aesthetic (the philosophy of beauty) basically summarizes nicely the idea behind Gaudiya Vaisnavism. As the poet says "Truth is Beauty, Beauty Truth". So the supreme truth, God, must be supremely beautiful. And thats what Krsna means ("One who possesses all beauty or is all attractive").I'd be interested in your opinion.

Gauracandra

Dear Gauracandra,

I have read the book and I highly recommend it to anyone interested in a progressive view of Guadiya Vaishnavism. Of course, you should know that I am somewhat biased due to my affiliation with the author - but I did read it before taking diksha from him.

The first chapter deals with the indian science of aesthetics and how Rupa Goswami presented Vedanta using this language of love and poetic expression. It also goes into much detail regarding the Krsna conception and how 'truth is beauty'.

The second chapter deals with the rasa lila. It is very well written and goes into much detail showing the philosophical meaning behind the expressions of love found in this section of the Srimad Bhagavatam. I guarantee that you will find it a most rewarding read.

The final chapter deals with raganuga bhakti and the life of the practicioner. It shows how the sadhaka applies the knowledge and enters into a life of love with Krsna. This is presented very thoughtfully and will add much to all practicioners lives. This description is based on the line of practice as inculcated by Srila Bhaktissidhanta Sarasvati and will therefore not be considered acceptable by those who view the practice of raganuga bhakti from a different angle of vision - nonetheless it is a very thoughtfull and thorough presentation on the subject.

Your servant,

Audarya lila dasa

Thanks for the info guys. Perhaps I'll pick it up. From what I've seen Mandala makes some of the best looking publications out there. Is there by any chance a listing of up coming book projects that they are working on? Like a possible title and blurb about what it will contain?

Gauracandra

Gauracandra:

As a matter of fact, Swami Tripurari has written a commentary on the Bhagavad-gita, which is due to go to press any day now. You can find out more about his present projects at <audarya.org> and <dailysang.com>

Thanks for your interest.

-Citta