IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Sri Caitanya's Divinity

Rate this topic

Religious history in India along with their statistics is always dubious. One would expect to see only Madhva Brahmins in Udipi. But there are Smartha [shankara] Brahmins in Udipi too. If Madhva's influence could not even cover the whole of his own home town, what to say for the rest of India?

Typically each group claims majority. The same with the Indian history of polemics. Talk to the Dvaitin and he will say their group holds the maximum victories. Talk to an Advaitin or a Vishishtadvaitin and they will say their own group holds the record.

It follows that it is better to take Indian history written by Indians, with a pinch of salt.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by shvu (edited 05-20-2001).]

This is a very optimist and biased statement. Some unofficial statistics point out that 80% of the Bengal's population is sakti. Gaudiya-vaisnavas maybe gather 5 or 20% of the whole population according some evaluations made by Evangelic missionaries, considering if they are pure GV or mixed with saktas, muslins, and other groups.

I was speaking in regards to medieval times, not to the present. Many things have happened in the last 500 years to change to situation in these states; just like 500 years ago there were no Gaudiya Vaishnavas in America or Brazil. Posted Image

Guest guest

In the Vallabha-sampradaya his followers also call him Mahaprabhu and some consider him an avatara. In his biography is stated on his departure:

"After Sri Vallabha was ordained sannyasi by Madhavendra Puri, a recluse of the Madhva-sampradaya, he adopted a vow of silence. He remained in solitude and nobody was permitted to see him. He remained sat before a picture of Krsna and was concentrated on Him.

"At times he chanted the Gopi-gita from Srimad Bhagavatam, the song that the gopis sang during their separation from Lord Krsna, expressing their ardent desire for His darsan. While chanting this, tears shed from his eyes and he had many symptoms of divine ecstasy.

"We went to Benares and lived in solitude in a cottage of leaves on the Hanuman Ghat, in a deep samadhi. He knew that the time of his passing away was near, and the members of his family and followers were also aware of it. They assembled near him for his last darsan and humbly request him to give them his last message. As he had taken a vow of silence, he wrote a few words on sand by way of counsel. They were in the form of three verses and a half and were as follows:

"Listen to my last words. I foresee a time when you will forget Krsna and become engrossed in worldly matters. It is likely that you will become slaves of your passions that will turn you away from the path of bhakti. Instead of rendering service to Sri Krsna which is your primary duty, you will spend your time and energy in idle pursuits. But if you follow my advice, Sri Hari will not forget you. You should believe that Sri Krsna is our God and never slacken your faith un Him, and He will surely protect you.

"You should regard Him as the be-all and end-all of your lives. Your final good lies in serving Him, which should be done with all your heart, mind and soul. Trust in His protection. Remember Him always in all your thoughts, words and deeds."

"As soon as he ended, Sri Krsna manifested Himself visually on the spot and wrote in the forma of the half verse, completing Sri Acarya'' message and counsel thus:

"If you have faith in Me, you will be under My care and protection, and will not suffer fall down of any sort. Be free from sorrows and anxieties concerning your future, for, it is safe in My hands. You should only love Me with the love of gopis. If you do so, then you will surely secure My realm. That is the only means to attain Me, by which you will regain your original divine nature. Do not give your thoughts to worldly matters. Be devoted to Me and render service to Me by all the means at your disposal."

"Soon after this, Sri Vallabhacarya rose from his seat and entered into the waters of the Ganges singing to himself the Gopi-gita, the song of the gopis from Bahagavata. And all of sudden he disappeared in a brilliant flame assuming his divine form and arose from the waters in the sight of thousand of men, women and children congregated there to have his last darsan."

Dr. H. H. Wilson, in his "Hindu Religion" states:

"Having accomplished his mission he is said to have entered the Ganges at Hanuman Ghat, when stooping into the water, he disappeared and a brilliant flame arose from the spot and in the presence of a host of spectators ascended to heaven and was lost in the firmament."

dasa dasanudasa

Satyaraja dasa

Guest guest

I was speaking in regards to medieval times, not to the present.

That is a very interesting remark indeed. According your point of view, during the medieval period the whole population of Bengal, Orissa and Manipur were converted to Gaudiya-vaisnavism. Thereafter almost all this population became saktas!? Maybe some historians in a near future will state that GV were all transferred to Brazil and America and that's why they almost disappeared in Bengal.

(1) From the Caitanya Upaniñad (5): gauraù sarvätmä mahä-puruño mahätmä mahä-yogé tri-guëätétaù sattva-rüpo bhaktià loke käçyati. “Lord Gaura, who is the all-pervading Supersoul, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, appears as a great saint and powerful mystic who is above the three modes of nature and is the emblem of transcendental activity. He disseminates the cult of devotion throughout the world.”

mahän prabhur vai puruñaù

sattvasyaiña pravartakaù

su-nirmaläm imäà präptim

éçäno jyotir avyayaù

“The Supreme Personality of Godhead is Mahäprabhu, who disseminates transcendental enlightenment. Just to be in touch with Him is to be in contact with the indestructible brahmajyoti.” (Çvetäçvatara Upaniñad 3.12)

(3) From the Muëòaka Upaniñad (3.1.3):

yadä paçyaù paçyate rukma-varëaà

kartäram éçaà puruñaà brahma-yonim

“One who sees that golden-colored Personality of Godhead, the Supreme Lord, the supreme actor, who is the source of the Supreme Brahman, is liberated

tyaktvä sudustyaja-surepsita-räjya-lakñméà

dharmiñöha ärya-vacasä yad agäd araëyam

mäyä-mågaà dayitayepsitam anvadhävad

vande mahä-puruña te caraëäravindam

“We offer our respectful obeisances unto the lotus feet of the Lord, upon whom one should always meditate. He left His householder life, leaving aside His eternal consort, whom even the denizens of heaven adore. He went into the forest to deliver the fallen souls, who are put into illusion by material energy.” (Bhäg. 11.5.34)

Prahläda said:

itthaà nå-tiryag-åñi-deva-jhañävatärair

lokän vibhävayasi haàsi jagat-pratépän

dharmaà mahä-puruña päsi yugänuvåttaà

channaù kalau yad abhavas tri-yugo ’tha sa tvam

“My Lord, You kill all the enemies of the world in Your multifarious incarnations in the families of men, animals, demigods, åñis, aquatics and so on. Thus You illuminate the worlds with transcendental knowledge. In the Age of Kali, O Mahäpuruña, You sometimes appear in a covered incarnation. Therefore You are known as Tri-yuga [one who appears in only three yugas].” (Bhäg. 7.9.38)

(5) From the Kåñëa-yämala-tantra: puëya-kñetre navadvépe bhaviñyämi çacé-sutaù. “I shall appear in the holy land of Navadvépa as the son of Çacédevé.”

(6) From the Vàyu Puräëa: kalau saìkértanärambhe bhaviñyämi çacé-sutaù. “In the Age of Kali when the saìkértana movement is inaugurated, I shall descend as the son of Çacédevé.”

(7) From the Brahma-yämala-tantra:

atha vähaà dharädhäme

bhütvä mad-bhakta-rüpa-dhåk

mäyäyäà ca bhaviñyämi

kalau saìkértanägame

“Sometimes I personally appear on the surface of the world in the garb of a devotee. Specifically, I appear as the son of Çacé in Kali-yuga to start the saìkértana movement.”

(8), From the Ananta-samhita:

ya eva bhagavän kåñëo

rädhikä-präëa-vallabhaù

såñöy ädau sa jagan-nätho

gaura äsén maheçvari

“The Supreme Person, Çré Krisna Himself, who is the life of Çré Radharani and is the Lord of the universe in creation, maintenance and annihilation, appears as Gaura, O Maheçvaré.”

Ädi 2.23

By personally tasting the mellows of love of Godhead, Caitanya Mahäprabhu taught His direct disciples the process. Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu is a wealthy capitalist possessing the touchstone of love of God. Not considering whether one is a proper or improper recipient, He gives His treasure to anyone and everyone. Thus He is the most munificent.

No one, not even Lord Brahmä, can ascertain or even taste a drop of this confidential ocean of ecstasy, but Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu, out of His causeless mercy, has distributed this love of Godhead all over the world. Thus there cannot be any incarnation more munificent than Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu. There is no greater donor. Who can describe His transcendental qualities?

Having defined(determined) the basic moments of fidelity, it is possible to understand details. Probably some of them not so are important, but the details confirm or deny whose that "raised - not raised" rule(situation), therefore frequently such fights. So basically they also are used. Actually as a rule devoted comes in this or that organization and accepts rules(situation) of philosophy (Or looks for suitable), having understood in them later or not understanding absolutely. Krisna Speaks in Gita- gyanavan mam prapadyante-gyany comes to me, it(he) does not speak sradhavan, but gyanavan. Actually all others enter into the stayed three categories, but roads gyanavan, why, because such person is steadiest in fidelity. Is gyana, there are vigyana-realized aspects brahman. That the fanaticism - I means I accept something not understanding essence or not understanding the previous steps. Beginning very much to hurry up in the spiritual world, it(he) is inspired with the opened prospect, it(he) is declined to allocate one or several aspects of fidelity, not having mature interest to spiritual life. All aspects of spiritual life at the same level, what such mathurya race? Fight on Kuruksetra same mathurya, those who in mathurya everyone sees in mathurya, the power Krisna involves(attracts), in Dvaraca or on Kuruksetra. The secret realization Sukadeva Gosvami -om namo bhgavate tubhyam vasudevaya dhimahi pradyumnayaanirudhaya namah sancarsanaya ca, learns(teaches) it Krisna. Sukadeva Gosvami in santa to race and it(he) the spiritual teacher of all world, it(him) lila, it(he) to all to all races. That the sect in maximum sense I means I allocate one category and everyone I speak about it. That is higher than all - mathurya, That such mathurya- yes, it rasa lila, Kuruksetra is not present, Sukadeva Gosvami is not present, mathurya This perfection. Well, but if you already in mathurya rasa, describe that that below..... " I do not know, it not so is important ": (. Whether the soul from the spiritual world falls, is not present, it is not possible. Bhactivinoda Thacur writes: " Were in prison of the material world, we search here for what HAD, when PARTICIPATED in Vaicuntha rasa ". (Prema pradipa p. 96). It is not necessary to be the great scientist what to understand that freedom means. Nothing knowing about the spiritual world us have sent in the material world, it is freedom? The realized choice? Without a choice? Imperfect soul? What maya can not win an alive essence? The soul can not have separate desires? " Any alive essence at any moment can undergo to influence maya " Sri Caitanya- sicsamrita, ð. 48 Srila Bhactivinoda Thacur. That means Vaicuntha, Vaicuntha not Maha-Visnu. Well, have got here, now it is necessary to get out, not so it is important whence.

It is possible to describe all from Lord Nityananda, the new perfect understanding, revolution in spiritual life. is possible from Advaita. Not Nityananda, Krisna- sarva carana karanam. Qualities Krisna the reason bhakti. Krisna a source everything, well, Lord Caitanya source only. Internal energy not the God, therefore Krisna not so is concerned with separation and wants to learn(find out) that this such. The soul concerns to a category of internal energy and that perfection in that what the internal energy would worship internal energy?. We accept Protection in internal energy what to serve Krisna -Hare Krisna. At the centre Krisna, who enjoying? This is elementary Dr. Vatson. And in this mantra- om namo bhgavate tubhyam vasudevaya dhimahi pradyumnayaanirudhaya namah sancarsanaya ca, at the centre Krisna. And reason of soul Krisna- " Having received this knowledge, you will see that they (soul) belong to me. " In fidelity nobody can surpass Radaharany, and not only Her(it), we can not test emotions in that volume at all what test Visnu tatva or Supreme sacti tatvas, it as one of the reasons of fall (We are not equal to the God). ....But Its(her) rule(situation) differs from a rule(situation) Krisna, it is simple Krisna not probably to serve directly. Well, but is still kama rupa devoted, they can accept any form for Krisna (for Radhy? Posted Image,), it is even higher than simply mathurya. As Panca- tatva mantra is higher -Hare Krisna mantra, whether but there is a sense to speak about it in style "only Nityananda". The spiritual life is thousand both thousand components and all this is in harmony, including the glorification requires(demands) qualification, differently it leaves " only Nityananda, only Ramacandra ". If already to speak "only" that only Krisna or Sri Krisna Caitanya.

I offer my respectful obeisances unto the spiritual masters, the devotees of the Lord, the Lord’s incarnations, His plenary portions, His energies, and the primeval Lord Himself, Sri Krisna Caitanya.

Ädi 1.2

What the Upaniñads describe as the impersonal Brahman is but the effulgence of His body, and the Lord known as the Supersoul is but His localized plenary portion. He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krisna Himself, full with six opulences. He is the Absolute Truth, and no other truth is greater than or equal to Him.

Ädi 1.4

May that Lord who is known as the son of Çrématé Çacédevé be transcendentally situated in the innermost chambers of your heart. Resplendent with the radiance of molten gold, He has appeared in the Age of Kali by His causeless mercy to bestow what no incarnation ever offered before: the most sublime and radiant spiritual knowledge of the mellow taste of His service.

Ädi 1.5

......The loving affairs of Çré Radha and Krisna are transcendental manifestations of the Lord’s internal pleasure-giving potency. Although Radha and Krisna are one in Their identity, They separated Themselves eternally. Now these two transcendental identities have again united, in the form of Çré Krisna Caitanya. I bow down to Him, who has manifested Himself with the sentiment and complexion of Çrématé Radaharany although He is Krisna Himself.........

These three Deities of Våndävana [Madana-mohana, Govinda and Gopénätha] have absorbed the heart and soul of the Gauòéya Vaiñëavas [followers of Lord Caitanya]. I worship Their lotus feet, for They are the Lords of my heart.

Lord Krisna enjoys by manifesting Himself as the spiritual masters, the devotees, the diverse energies, the incarnations and the plenary portions. They are all six in one.

The six principles are differently manifested but all equally worshipable. Kåñëadäsa Kaviräja begins by offering his obeisances unto them to teach us the method of worshiping Lord Caitanya.

He explicitly mentions Bhagavän, who has peacock feathers on His crown, because the Lord of Våndävana, Krisna the cowherd boy, used to come to Bilvamaìgala to talk with him and supply him with milk. In his adoration of Çré Krisna, the Personality of Godhead, he describes that Jayaçré, the goddess of fortune, Çrématé Radaharany , takes shelter in the shade of His lotus feet to enjoy the transcendental rasa of nuptial love.

The ählädiné potency is Radaharany . As Svarüpa Dämodara Gosvämé has explained, rädhä kåñëa-praëaya-vikåtir hlädiné çaktir asmät (Cc. Ädi 1.5). The ählädiné-çakti is manifested as Radaharany , but Krisna and Radaharany are the same, although one is potent and the other is potency.

Antaù Krisna refers to one who is always thinking of Krisna . This attitude is a predominant feature of Çrématé Radaharany . Even though many devotees always think of Krisna , none can surpass the gopés, among whom Radaharany is the leader in thinking of Krisna . Radaharany Krisna consciousness surpasses that of all other devotees. Lord Caitanya accepted the position of Çrématé Radaharany to understand Krisna ; therefore He was always thinking of Krisna in the same way as Radaharany . By thinking of Lord Krisna , He always overlapped Krisna .

In the Gaura-gaëoddeça-dépikä, verses 147 through 153, it is stated: “The pleasure potency of Çré Krisna formerly known as Vrindavanysvare is now personified in the form of Sri Gadadhara Pandita in the pastimes of Lord Caitanya Mahäprabhu".

“By performing the sacrifice of congregational chanting of the holy name, learned scholars in the Age of Kali worship Lord Krisna , who is now non-blackish because of the great upsurge of the feelings of Çrématé Radaharany . He is the only worshipable Deity for the paramahaàsas, who have attained the highest stage of the fourth order [sannyäsa]. May that Supreme Personality of Godhead, Lord Caitanya, show us His great causeless mercy.”

Everyone was astonished to see the decorations on the Ratha car. The car appeared to be newly made of gold, and it was as high as Mount Sumeru.

When the saìkértana resounded, it filled the three worlds. Indeed, no one could hear mundane sounds or musical instruments other than the saìkértana.

Lord Caitanya Mahäprabhu wandered through all seven groups chanting the holy name,“Hari, Hari!” Raising His arms, He shouted, “All glories to Lord Jagannätha!”

King Pratäparudra also was astonished to see the saìkértana. He became inactive and was converted to ecstatic love of Krisna .

Madhya 13.57

When the King informed Käçé Miçra of the glories of the Lord, Käçé Miçra replied,“O King, your fortune has no limit!”

According to His need, the Lord sometimes exhibited one form and sometimes many. This was being executed by His internal potency.

In this way Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu danced in great jubilation and inundated all the people with waves of ecstatic love.

Madhya 13.69

When Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu danced and jumped high, roaring like thunder and moving in a circle like a wheel, He appeared like a circling firebrand.

When Caitanya Mahäprabhu danced, He displayed various blissful transcendental changes in His body. Sometimes He appeared as though stunned. Sometimes the hairs of His body stood on end. Sometimes He perspired, cried, trembled and changed color, and sometimes He exhibited symptoms of helplessness, pride, exuberance and humility.

Madhya 13.85

When Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu fell down with a crash while dancing, He would roll on the ground. At such times it appeared that a golden mountain was rolling on the ground.

Everyone was astonished by the dancing of Caitanya Mahäprabhu, and even Lord Jagannätha became extremely happy to see Him.

Madhya 13.99

His skin erupted with goose pimples, and the hairs of His body stood on end. His body resembled the çimulé [silk cotton tree], all covered with thorns.

Madhya 13.103

Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu’s whole body flowed with perspiration and at the same time oozed blood. He made the sounds “jaja gaga, jaja gaga” in a voice choked with ecstasy.

Madhya 13.105

When this refrain was loudly sung by Svarüpa Dämodara, Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu again began rhythmically dancing in transcendental bliss.

Madhya 13.115

“Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu danced down the main road in great ecstasy before Lord Jagannätha, the master of Néläcala, who was sitting on His car. Overwhelmed by the transcendental bliss of dancing and surrounded by Vaiñëavas who sang the holy names, He manifested waves of ecstatic love of Godhead. When will Çré Caitanya Mahäprabhu again be visible to my vision?”

Madhya 13.208

Originally posted by Satyaraja dasa:

>> It does not bother me that followers of Goraknath do not accept Sri Chaitanyas divinity. But keep in mind that certainly Ramakrisha did.....as did many many others!

It is said that Sri Hari cannot keep hidden from His devotees. In spite of being a secret avatara, Sri Caitanya would be noticed by them.

Not all of the Vaisnavas who were Sri Caitanya contemporary had accepted His divinity. Sri Vallabhacarya, for example did not. He established his own sampradaya postulating pusti-marga, that is the same of raganuga-marga, but he rejected rasa-tattva. His followers consider him as an avatara of Sri Gopala, and there are also thousands of witness of the manifestation of His divinity according them. It is unecessary to stress the personal relationship among Sri Vallabha, Sri Caitanya and all of Sri Caitanya main folloers such as Sri Rupa nad Sanatana, as Sri Caitanya-caritmrta describe it in some details.

Sri Tulasidasa also was a contemporary of Sri Caitanya, but he has never recognized Sri Caitanya's divinity. He was a very exalted Vaisnava and he is worship by some members of Sri Sampradaya as Visnu-tattva.

Srimati Mirabai, was also a exalted Vaisnavi, who had many dealings with Sri Caitanya's followers such as Jiva Goswami, bur she never has recognized Sri Caitanya's divinity.

Of the 4 Vaisnava-sampradayas of Kali-yuga, none of them recognize Sri Caitanya avatara. Not even Madhva-sampradaya, were Gaudiya-vaisnavas proclaim to belong to, what to say Sri-sampradaya, Vallabha-sampradaya and Nimbarka-sampradaya.

It's stated that Gaudiya-vaisnavas were an inexpressive group in Vaisnavism before the advent of Iskcon. Can some one give some info on this aspect, based in some statistics?

dasa dasanudasa

Satyaraja dasa

Looks like you're wrong again, Satyaraj prabhu. From Srimati Mirabai herself:

"ab to hari naam dhun lo laagee, saadho!

saba jaga bolata maakhan choraa,

naam dharo vairaagee!

kaha chaadi vahu mohan murali?

kaha chaadi saba gopi?

mora mundaayi gora kati bandhee,

maane na maanee gopi !

maata yasomati maakhan choran

baandhi jaaki baaha,

shyaama kishore bhaye nava goraa,

caitanya jaako naam !

pitaambar ko bhaava dikhaavai,

kati kaupeena base,

gore krishna ki daasi meeraa,

jasa na krishna bane na bane!

ab to hari naam dhun lo laagee! "

Meaning (Bhaavaartha) -

O pious souls! Now, my consciousness is absorbed into the

Divine vibration of the Names of my Hari! I surrender myself to

His Holy Name!

The entire world addresses Him as the 'Butter Thief'.

But now, He has earned another popular Name for Himself,

as 'Vairaagi'- the dispassionate wandering monk! (Sanyasi)

O my dearest Mohan ( Enchanter,Krishna)!

Why have You discarded Your intimate companion, (Priya-Sakhi)-

the Divine Flute?

And why have You renounced all Your eternal Sweethearts, Gopis?

You appear now with shaven head and ochre cloth at Your waist!

But this clever Gopi understands Your disguise and doesn't care

to conceal it !

Now it seems like Mother Yasoda has tied up the both arms of

Butter Thief !

Alas,no more mischievous tricks!

My Dark Beloved has now reappeared as the newly fresh Golden

Lord Whose blessed Name is 'Caitanya' !

Though clad Himself in skimpy rags, His Pitambara (Yellow

Divine Attire) as well as His inner most Divine Love Sentiments

are revealed to me.

Now Meerabai is the Hand-Maid of the Golden Krishna, whether

the Glory of My Krishna is recognized by all or not!

------------------

Radhe Radhe ALWAYS Radhe!

Guest guest

That is indeed a nice post Valaya Prabhu, thank you very much.

Our Gurudeva once stated that Srimati Mirabai was Jivas Goswami's diksa disciple. But she left his direction and finally end in Dvaraka as a queen of Sri Krsna.

When we posted this info in a forum recently, a disciple of Srila Shridhara Maharaja has contested this episode by stating that Srila Shridhara Maharaja told him that Srimati Mirabai has never accepted Sri Caitanya's divinity and the shelter of anyone in His line.

This verse by Srimati Mirabai demonstrates that at least at in one stage of her devotional life she may accepted Sri Caitanya's divinity.

As Srimati Mirabai doesn't have an organized parampara and her cult is mainly a tradition followed by Northern Indian people, we cannot known exactly her relationship with Sri Caitanya's cult.

Anyway, the absence of a strong link between Srimati Mirabai and Sri Caitanya's followers seems to be denied by Gaudiya-vaisnavas themselves.

dasa dasanudasa

Satyaraja dasa