IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Editing feature on forums...

Rate this topic

JNDas,

While the editing feature can be useful, I fear that it might be used inappropriately. I can understand that one may want to edit due to mistakes, or to clarify a point that was not fully thought out. However, it appears that individuals may make changes to postings days later. I find this troubling because it creates a false impression with regards to those postings that came after it. I realize that a little editing message pops up saying it was edited, but we have no idea, or new readers will have no idea, in what manner the changes occured. You may be debating a point philosophically only to find out that days later the posting you were referring to was changed. (with new additions, changes in wording etc...) I think this is a bit dishonest. Is it possible to set the editing feature on any given article to say 1 day from when it was posted. This way, if someone truly needs to edit a posting, they can. But it will block the ability to change the points of debate. I think this is important.

Gauracandra

It is true that this edit feature can be abused, and I have noticed it has happened at least once so far, where someone comes many days later and changes their statement. But I also feel most of the users here are mature enough to be trusted. The editing feature is to correct spelling, grammar, or general mistakes in a post - or to remove an offensive statement that one wishes to take back. It is not to be used to secretly insert another line of argument into an old thread, to make it appear that the other side was not able to reply to that point. And it is not to be used to change one's words so that the later replies look foolish. If one has accidentally forgotten to mention a key point in a message,they should post a second message saying, "One more point...". They should not add the new point into an old message where replies are already there.

When ever someone edits a message, a note is sent to the moderator informing him, and the edited post will be compared to the archived version. Thus it will be very simple to check who has changed the context of their messages. If anyone continues to do this, we will have to take appropriate action.

For the time being, everything will be left to the discretion of the users. I trust everyone, and they are mature enough to make their own destinies so to speak.

That would be me, I guess.

One should not edit his post, if his is not the last one on the thread. That will avoid any confusion. A couple of days back I was trying out the search feature and came across an old post of mine, that I do not agree with, anymore because I am older and wiser now Posted Image. Since that was the last posting on the thread, I removed it. In retrospect, what I should have done was, add a line to that post like 'I take this back'.

Anyway now I know what to do.

Cheers

[This message has been edited by shvu (edited 05-13-2001).]

Actually I wasn't refering to you Posted Image

So we have multiple culprits. Posted Image

The problem with the editing feature and old threads is the thread will not appear as new (at the top of the list). So no one knows the thread has been changed.

Anyway, these features are new, so it may take a little time to get use to.

I'm guilty too! Posted Image

I did it when we were giving ideas for new names for the forums. I went in and added a name to my list after a while.

Sorry about that.

Originally posted by jndas:

Actually I wasn't refering to you Posted Image

So we have multiple culprits. Posted Image

The problem with the editing feature and old threads is the thread will not appear as new (at the top of the list). So no one knows the thread has been changed.

Anyway, these features are new, so it may take a little time to get use to.

Guys,

Don't take this too seriously. To me the only problem is if the editing is done in a dishonest way. Like if you were to put in your list "Audarya Fellowship", and then follow up and say "Hey, I won, I'm glad you liked my suggestion" Posted Image

I think we all are mature and won't stoop to those levels. Now lets go have som fun Posted Image

Gauracandra

Like if you were to put in your list "Audarya Fellowship", and then follow up and say "Hey, I won, I'm glad you liked my suggestion".

Hey, don't give such ideas. My corrupt mind can catch such ideas very fast. If you want to teach me something, please teach only good, because bad I will myself learn. Posted Image

Well, there went that idea! Posted Image

Originally posted by Gauracandra:

Like if you were to put in your list "Audarya Fellowship", and then follow up and say "Hey, I won, I'm glad you liked my suggestion" Posted Image

Gauracandra