IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
dennis_s

Fasting...

Rate this topic

Hare Krsna!

Why do we fast? To reduce the requirements of our body? And what happens, when we're fasitng?

I've heard, that we begin to receive some kind of a "life energy" (prana?) from space... that there're some centres in our body which open and begin to suck that energy from space when we're fasting.

Your servant,

Dennis.

I was thinking about this posting and came to realize that fasting to attain spiritual enlightenment it a fairly common (if not universal) practice among the world religions. I know for instance that there are Native American tribes who, as part of the ritual to attain manhood, require that their young remain far away separated from the tribe, and must fast until they get certain visions. I believe in the Jewish tradition, Moses fasted before he received the 10 commandments (I'm not positive about this). In Islam, they fast during Ramadan. And in Christianity, the example of Jesus fasting for 40 days in the forest before he had to undergo the temptations of the devil. And of course in the Vaisnava tradition we have ekadasi, and also various days for fasting.

I think to some degree it is about strengthening the ties to the spirit and away from the body. Again, in Christianity, Adam fell because he couldn't control his tongue. And yet when Jesus fasted for 40 days, physically he would have been very weak, yet he rejected Satan's offering him the wealth of the world. This was based on strength of spirit and not strength of body. The urges of the belly are perhaps second only to the sex urge. And so if we can control our tongue, it makes controlling other aspects (including sex desire) stronger.

But it should be noted that fasting for spiritual growth is different than starvation fasting (anorexia, or for a political cause). The intention is one of tempering the desires, and to attain a greater level of physical, mental, and spiritual humility. If one approaches it in a serious manner the results of one's spiritual practices will be enhanced.

On a physical level, I think fasting say once or twice a month is a great way of removing the toxins that build up in the body over the years. By drinking plenty of water, and juices, one can remove many of these by-products that build up in the intestines, and the rest of the body. Personally, I have always found controlled fasting, of 1 to 2 days, to make me feel lighter, healthier and more energetic. I think one key is to drink plenty of water and not over do it. Don't go off into the forest for 40 days just yet. Just be judicial and approach it in a controlled manner.

Gauracandra