IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
shvu

Divine Images

Rate this topic

It is interesting to observe how condtioned we all are. If Krishna appeared before us now with a hair-cut, t-shirt and jeans, we would not react at all.

However if we had a hallucination about a dark figure, with a peacock feather and a flute, we would get all excited. That is conditioning to an image. We are in love with the image.

There was a Rishi who lived in a desert. He had a boon from Krishna, that whenever he felt thirsty, Krishna would get him water to drink.

Once when this Rishi felt thirsty, he remembered Krishna, and Krishna decided to give his devotee Amrutha [Nectar] instead of water. Indra stopped him and said that was not a good thing to do. But Krishna insisted and then Indra relented with the condition that he would personally carry the nectar.

Indra then appeared before the Devotee as a Chandala [low caste guy] and offered him the nectar. The devotee was apalled by the sight of the Chandala and refused it accept it, in spite of Indira's insistence. Indra vanished and Krishna appeared before the devotee and explained things to him. The devotee then realized his folly.

That is a good example of Conditioning.

Cheers

Hare Krsna

We have tendency to cheat.

We have tendency to be mislead.

---------

It is interesting to observe how condtioned we all are. If Krishna appeared before us now with a hair-cut, t-shirt and jeans, we would not react at all.

----------

Some of us accept, by choice, Krsna’s appearance from Vedic Literature. If Krsna appeared in Jeans and T shirt, naturally we will not recognize him or accept him as Krsna, simply because people can cheat.

----------

However if we had a hallucination about a dark figure, with a peacock feather and a flute, we would get all excited. That is conditioning to an image. We are in love with the image.

----------

Unfortunately, we can only behold what we can see and read. Krsna’s image is associated with dark figure, flute and feather. If Krsna decided to come as door knob, are you suggesting we ought to recognize him. Naturally, it is the Krsna’s image we see therefore it is that image we love.

----------

Indra then appeared before the Devotee as a Chandala [low caste guy] and offered him the

nectar. The devotee was apalled by the sight of the Chandala and refused it accept it, in spite of

Indira's insistence.

---------

So are you suggesting that we should take every thing on it’s face value. Wrong or right the Devotee only wanted to accept nectar from the Krsna so he refused from Chandala. Morally, this may be wrong, but you cannot be suggesting that Devotee should have known that was Indra or Krsna.

When one opens the front door of his home, he will only allow entrance to the people he knows and refuse to the one he does not. Perhaps you may regard this as conditioned mind too.

I am sorry Shvu I really do not understand the point you are trying to make. : )

PS thanks for your other replys.

Hello Ggohil,

-----

I really do not understand the point you are trying to make. : )

-----

There is no specifc point here. :)

I was reading that story about the devotee and that set me off, thinking. If you ask, 'So what should we do ?', the answer is 'I don't know'. There is nothing we can do about it, I guess.

The moral of the story is : Under any circumstances we sholud not differentiate humanbeings because of their births. What is the use of being a devotee if you do not have the tolerance? Education or wisdom which does not bring politeness is waste.