IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Vedic Egypt...

Rate this topic

Does anyone have any information on the relationship between ancient Egypt and the Vedic culture? The reason I ask this is because of a program I was watching on the History Channel regarding ancient Egypt. At one point they described the Egyptian story of creation and I could hardly believe my ears because everything they said was almost exactly the Vedic version. In the Egyptian story, a golden lotus grows out of the cosmic ocean and reaches to the top on the universe. At this point it unfolds and thus is born the sun god. Now substitute the sun god for Brahma and it matches perfectly. I had never heard of the Egyptian creation story but this really got me interested in how Vedic culture influenced ancient Egypt. Any info would be appreciated.

Gauracandra

haribol Gauracandra prabhu,

You could find some information about ancient Egypt in a book called Spiritual Warrior Vol 1, written by Swami Krishnapada (H.H. Bhakti Tirtha Swami).

Very good book.....I'll look it up when I get home.

ys,

Nitai

Interesting...

The Egyptians worshipped the Sun with the name of Ra, which is close to Ravi, one of the Indian names for the Sun.

They apparently believed in Life after death. Some Theories say that their civilisation started with the last few people of Atlantis after it was destroyed.

There are theories according to which Atlantis is the Atala and Patala Loka described in Hinduism, because it was on the other half of the earth.

Lots of theories...

More things of interest.

1. The American native Indians had a Myth, where a lady once came down from the sky and told them about the 4 Ages, comparing them to a Cow with 4,3, 2 and 1 legs, similar to the Hindu way of describing Virtue in the different Yugas.

2. Mesopatamia or Babylon, I am not sure which, also has the concept of Yugas and the same figures of 432,000 years.

Perhaps there is some forgotten link somewhere.

Very interesting.... I have also heard of a tradition by some Native Americans (American Indians) with relation to killing animals. Traditionally, when they would kill a Buffalo for instance, part of the ceremony would be to whisper in its ear something to the effect of "Today I am killing you for food, but in your next life you may kill me". Several points on this. First, it brings up the idea of karma and reincarnation. I have also heard of a similar Vedic procedure that allowed eating meat. If someone couldn't control their tongue and had to eat meat they were allowed to eat goat meat (or something similar but never cow). They would perform various rituals and before slaughtering the animal they would whisper the sanskrit word for meat, which I can't remember but is basically composed of two words "you" and "me". The significance is that "I am killing YOU, and you may kill ME". It would be very interesting to note how many points of similarity there are in various cultures.

For instance, it is an established fact that Sanskrit in the root of the Indo-European languages. I took several years of Russian in college and studied a bit of Sanskrit, and you wouldn't believe how many words are EXACTLY the same. My Russian teacher confirmed that Sanskrit had a big influence on Russian. I have also seen studies that compare english, spanish words etc... to Sanskrit and the commanlities in words are very striking.

Gauracandra

yes, indeed Gauracandra Prabhu. I also found out some similarities, I read some articles of how the Egyptians described death. The descriptions almost exactly fits of that of when the yama dutas come and get a sinful person. It was very interesting. Also the whip that Lord Yamaraja carries was described that which catches the subtle body and drags it out of the gross body.

The Bible says that in the beginning, all the people on Earth spoke one language. Then God scattered them across and they started speaking different languages.

I have heard of a book, which explains how Sanskrit gradaully dwindled down from being the language of the world. When we have as many as 4 distinctly spearate languages in South India itself, it is little suprise that we have so many languages around the world.

There is also the story of the flood and the Arc, which is found in almost all religions.