IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Gauracandra

Stages and Varieties of Faith - Part 1

Rate this topic

The following is an excerpt from Sri Caitanya-siksamrta by Srila Saccidananda Bhaktivinode Thakura. I will not post the entire article due to its very long length. However, I will post some nice portions from the article (though not necessarily in chronological order). This article was first published in 1886.

People in various countries on various continents have a wide variety of natures. Although their principle nature is only one, their secondary characteristics are many - you will not find any two people in the world who have identical secondary qualities. Since even twins born of the same womb have some difference in form and quality, can one expect that people born in different countries can ever have exactly the same qualities? Different countries have different water, air, mountains, forests, and different eatables and clothing. Because of this, the people of these places have naturally developed different physiques, complexions, customs, clothing and food. Similary, peoples mentalities differ. Thus various people's ideas of God, though being basically similar, will differ in secondary details. When men in different places surpass the uncivilized stage, they then step by step come to the civilized stage, then the inquisitive stage, the moral stage and finally the devotional stage. In the civilized stage differences will arise in language, in the inquisitive stage differences in dress, in the moral stage differences in food, and in the devotional stage differences in mentality. This gives rise to differences in the mode of worship of God. Considered objectively, there is no harm in secondary differences. If there is an agreement concerning the essential nature of God and his worship, there should be no obstacle in attaining the same result. Thus Mahaprabhu has taught that we should instruct everyone to worship the pure form of the Lord, but at the same time we should not criticize others's modes of worship.

Because of the above reasons, we see the following differences amongst the religions of different countries:

1) Difference in teachers

2) Difference in the worshipper's mentality and consequent expression of reverence

3) Difference in the method of worship

4) Difference in the conceptions and conventional actions concerning the object of worship

5) Differences in God's names and teachings due to linguistic differences

[Note: I have cut out a lengthy explanation of each of these 5 points]

Because of these five differences it is only natural that various religions will appear quite different. However, it is improper and detrimental to argue over these differences. If one goes to visit someone else's place of worship, while there one should think, "These people are worshipping my Lord, but in a different way. Because of my different practices I cannot quite enter into this system of worship. However, through this experience I can deepen my appreciation for my own system of worship. The Lord is only one, not two. I offer my respect to the form I see here and pray to the Lord in this new form that he increase my love for the form I am accustomed to."

Those who do not follow this procedure but instead criticize other systems of worship and show hatred, violence and envy, are worthless and foolish. In proportion to their lack of interest in the Lord to that degree they have affection for useless arguments.

Gauracandra