IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
shvu

The Avaduta Gita

Rate this topic

The Avaduta Gita is an ancient Advaitic classic attributed to Lord Dattatreya. Krishna explains the Avaduta Gita to his friend Udhava in the Bhagavtam.

-------

1.24 Birthless, pure, bodiless, equable, imperishable Atman that know yourself to be. How then can you say: I know Atman, or I know not the Atman ?

1.34. Some there are that prize non-dualism, others hold to dualism. They know not the Truth, which is above both.

2.1 Hold not the immature, the credulous, the foolish, the slow, the layman and the fallen to have nothing good in them. They all teach something. Learn from them. Surely we do not give up a game although we have mastered it?

2.29. The teacher cannot teach Atman; the disciple cannot learn it.

3.11 Atman is not the Knower Nor is It the known. It is not accessible to inference. Words cannot describe.

3.17. The saying of the Shruti,not this, not this, does not apply to Atman. How can it be said when all is subtracted Atman alone remains? It is symbolical but not a symbol; Yet even this cannot be said of Atman.

4.18 I have told you, O disciple, the essence of Truth. There is no you nor I, no world, no Guru, or disciple.

4.21 Renounce, renounce the world, and also renounce renunciation, and even give up the absence of renunciation.

6.7 The statement that Atman is describable or indescribable cannot stand. Neither is It the knower nor the known. It cannot be imagined or defined.

6.33 The wise man strives not for anything, not even for Dharma or liberation. He is free from all actions and movements, and also from desire and renunciation.

7.17. All you lovers of wisdom, protect your minds from feelings of pleasure, and engage them in spiritual wisdom.

7.18. This is the song of the great Dattatreya Avadhut. Those who read it and hear it with respectful attention, they are not reborn on this earth.

Avaduta Gita is taught to Uthava by Krishna when Uthava comes to know that Krishna is leaving the earth after fulfilling His mission of avatar. Uthava feels sorry to part Krishna, then God teaches him Avaduta Gita which is replica of Bhagavat Gita with out repeatation of certain facts again & again as given in Bhagavad Gita.