IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
pcdorey

help needed on faith culture - uk

Rate this topic

I am a student police officer and have to do a presentation on how the Hindu faith could effect a search on a Hindu's property in the UK. Could anyone help me? I am having trouble finding specific instructions on the subject. Many thanks

The project I have been tasked to do is to prepare a presentation on the procedures that a police officer going into a Hindu household would have to take in order not to upset any of the householders of a Hindu household.

The problem I have is, that as a westerner, I have no in-depth knowledge of the beliefs that I would need to adhere to or respect.

I have managed to find out the basics from easy-to-access web-sites, but is there anything specific that you can suggest?

Many thanks

Richard Dorey

Guest guest

Hello Richard

I am in Hindu living in the UK so maybe I can be of some help. Firstly I think it's wonderful that the police force are sparing a thought toward Hindus, as the majority of steps taken to integrate the ethnic minority groups in the UK seem to be set for Muslims.

Hindus are mostly very law abiding and also one of the most integrated of ethnic minority groups within the UK. One of the main lines of consideration within a Hindu household that I can think of is that of respecting elders. This means no offending language (which I'm sure police men and women would not use), no intimidating gestures or raised voices (obviously dependent on the situation).

Also many older Hindus view the visit of any member of the police force to their house as an occasion of great embarrassment, possibly due to the implication that something negative has happened. Therefore, a correct explanation of the visit should be provided. Many elderly Hindus, as is true for many ethnic minorities, may be uncomfortable or have limited understanding of the English language. This should be taken into consideration and appropriate translations provided where necessary.

Hindu families are usually very close-knit so incidents such as serious injury or death of a loved one should be dealt with an added sense of sympathy.

Hope this is of help.

Your reply is really helpful and much appreciated. Unfortunately you did not include your name in your reply, but rest assured your helpfulness will be mentioned during our presentation which is happening on Tuesday 31st January. It has given us a bit more of a personal insight into the considerations that we as police officers must have. Again, many thanks. Richard

Guest guest

If you go into a Hindu household and do a search, you should be very respectful when entering the area of worship in the house. The temple, its idols, etc. should be given the utmost respect as they are sacred to Hindus. Also, it is generally required in most Hindu households or Hindu temples to remove the shoes before entering the area of worship, which is usually designated by the presence of a temple.