IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

CHANTING MANTAS....

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I used to chant mantras in Mind - while walking or working or on bed before sleeping or early morning whenever wake up early, but just after formal cleaning tooth and facewash.

Is it okay to do so? I read somewhere that mantras should be chanted in mind or slow only in a specific place and time, not while walking with shoes and all..

Please clarify. Should we not chant OM NAMASHIVAYA also during waliking?

Guest guest

Sage Narada concluded by saying, "O Lord, hearing the further eulogy and the narration of details of more benefits, it is quite appropriate that no special rule be followed in the matter of muttering this sacred name, which can be done at all times whether in a clean or even an unclean state. Salutations to thee." (Kali Santarana Upanishad, Upanishad No. 103 of The Krishna Yajurveda)

Narada Muni was referring to the Maha Mantra: Hare Krsna, Hare Krsna, Krsna Krsna, Hare Hare/Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare.

------------------------

Sri Caitanya Mahaprabhu once went to pass stool, and Gopala-guru was carrying water. Mahaprabhu caught hold of His tongue very tightly, and Gopal-guru, like a boy, asked, "Prabhu, why are you doing like so?" Mahaprabhu

told him that His tongue was out of control. "When I am going to pass stool, this chanting of 'Hare Krishna Hare Krishna' will not stop. I want to stop, but it never stops. So I am doing like this." Gopala-guru told Mahaprabhu, "If anyone is going to die, and stool and urine are coming uncontrollably, should he not chant? I think it is better to chant." Mahaprabhu said, "Oh, you are not only Gopala. You are Gopala-guru." He left His tongue and began to chant.

Anyone can do this. Here Mahaprabhu is telling that there are no rules and regulations. It is not that you should only chant in a certain way. It is not that you cannot chant sitting on a bed or walking. You can remember the Name, you can chant it, you can sing it - in any way you can do it. You can pray, "But I am so wretched that I can't chant - even though you have given so much facility. Prabhu, I cannot control my senses. You should be merciful and help me." In this way we should chant.

jai hind

narottam das