IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
nem

How to be a Hindu

Rate this topic

Even though hindu is an english word. The correct term is really: Santana Dharma (please corect if im wrong)

However the above is off-topic. How would you say a hindu should live? Practices etc... ?

Should it all just be meditation on the one surpreme lord? Whats your view?

Guest guest

Santana Dharma

--hinduism is a name for many and sometimes opposite practices and philosophies. So everything cannot be sanatana dharma, so hinduism is sometimes sanatana dharma sometimes not. Sanatana dharma is not hinduism

How would you say a hindu should live? Practices etc... ?

--basically a sanatana dharmi is one who surrenders to a bona fide spiritual master and follows, initiated and instructed, under an authentic sampradaya to get a real connection with god

in vedic philosophy (search for the verse "tad viddhi pranipatena..." in the gita) who is not on this plane cannot be called spiritualist, religious man... what to say of sanatana dharmi?

om namo bhagavate vasudevaya... jaya sri krsna bhagavan...... jaya sri ram

<< --hinduism is a name for many and sometimes opposite practices and philosophies. So everything cannot be sanatana dharma, so hinduism is sometimes sanatana dharma sometimes not. Sanatana dharma is not hinduism >>

i have said it many times here and will say it again being a hindu myself, and not like many HKs who hate their mother culture and the soruce culture from which they learned krishna bhakti:

Although Hindu was a name given by the Muslims to the Vedic people and their religion who lived east of River Sindhu, some 1000 years ago, we hindus have accept that new name only because it is now well known all over the world.

so, Hinduims is just a new name of sanatana dharma, and it is defined in gita. no one should define what it is by the malpractice of it in the pat and present if any. there are many hindus who have given up the malpractice and many more will give up and follow hinduism as it is in gita.

i am writing this for the benefit of many readers, not the "guest" whose post i am responding to.

Jai Ganesh

Re

( How would you say a hindu should live? Practices etc... ?)

Hinduism is a way of life, should practice what he preaches, based on four pillars of Dharma truthfulness purity, cleanliness and amhinsa follow the shastra, sadhus and gurus, this is our parampara not necessary an institute.

Re

(Should it all just be meditation on the one supreme lord? Whats your view? )

Yes the goal is one supreme Lord, but the paths are many, Lord Krishna speaks of various paths by which people approach him what to speak of Vedas

Ref.: http://www.geocities.com/lamberdar/brahman.html

Hinduism is a monotheistic religion with one God (Brahman) assuming many forms and names. Brahman, as Nirguna, has no attributes (is formless and unmanifested), whereas as Saguna (or Iswara) is manifested and with attributes. People use many different names for God. Consider for example the following hymns from Rig Veda.

"They call him Indra, Mitra, Varuna, Agni, and he is heavenly nobly-winged Garutman.

To what is One, sages give many a title they call it Agni, Yama, Matarisvan." RV (Book 1, Hymn 164.46)

"He in his might surveyed the floods containing productive force and generating Worship.

He is the God, and none beside him. What God shall we adore with our oblation?" RV (Book 10, Hymn 121.8)

Thus various forms (names and perceptions) symbolizing Brahman reflect different visions according to many sages and seers. Note that, like any particular prophet, each sage advances his own concept of God which seems unique (in name and form / image) and may be classed as monomorphic (one view). This concept of divine -- monotheistic and monomorphic -- is usually accepted and followed by the adherents of that particular sage. This is just like any monotheistic religion after a certain prophet. But in Hinduism, this situation is further augmented due to accumulated visions of God from many sages -- each sage's vision being separately monotheistic and monomorphic -- resulting in monotheism with a polymorphic view where one God is perceived in many different ways. Note that this is not polytheism, because God is still one, even though He is portrayed differently according to different people (sages, etc.) and situations.

Hinduism is also not henotheistic, where people believe in one god but are not concerned if he is the only god. Note that Brahman is one even though He has many names. For henotheism, there should exist a parallel (or competing) deity against Brahman but such is not the case. In addition, even the different Avtars (reincarnations) are not considered as independent of Iswara.

Hinduism is not pantheistic either, since there is no direct identification of God with universe. Note, God and universe (belonging to the Absolute or Reality -- which also consists of souls) are considered as distinct from each other in Hindu religio-philosophy.

Furthermore, polymorphically speaking, God may be worshipped, for example, by a farmer as Varuna (meaning the lord of water) and by a carpenter as Vishvakarma (meaning architect of the world). Since water -- potential boon from Varuna -- is important in agriculture for bringing good harvest etc., the farmer easily, conveniently and even inadvertently is drawn towards the deity known as Varuna. Meanwhile, the carpenter identifies himself professionally more closely with Vishvakarma (the Constructor). People thus have a tendency to assign and accept various functional or phenomenal labels for God, and perceive, worship, and meditate on Him accordingly. In spite of having different names, Brahman (God) still remains one and the Hinduism monotheistic. Note also that worshipping Varuna and Vishvakarma just amounts to worshipping God in two different aspects of water and construction, respectively. In reality, worship of either Varuna or Vishvakarma or both of them together still amounts to -- including the potential benefits -- the worship of one Brahman. The Real, possessing various attributes (i.e. God as Varuna or as Vishvakarma), should not be seen as accumulating them mathematically. Thus, one (as Varuna) + one (as Vishvakarma) is not to be construed as two, but still One (God).

Depending on the basic attributes, God (Hari or Savior) is called Om -- the creator (Omniscient, Brahma, the chaturmukh); Tat -- the preserver / master (Omnipotent, Vishnu, the chaturbhuj); and Sat -- the destroyer (Rudra or Shiva -- good and righteous; RV: Book 5, Hymn 44.2).

Furthermore, in the earthly regions, Iswara (and His power) may manifest as Agni; in the mid-air, as Indra; and in the heavens, as Savitar. Note that the personality or symbol used as a deity in meditation or worship is mainly for spiritual significance and to reflect the real power (God) behind it. Physical and material aspects of the symbol used in worship are less important.

True bhakti (devotion) and the type (method) of worship depend on a person's nature and temperament. Moreover, even if the object of adoration remains the same, there may be several ways to approach it. In addition, Brahman as Nirguna (unmanifested) is simply believed in. The direct worship of Nirguna Brahman is not possible, because it is not known (as Nirguna) and therefore can not be worshipped. The believer therefore simply recognizes the entire creation as a reflection of God and acts accordingly (Gita: Ch 12).

In the case of Saguna Brahman, there are two types of worship -- one is of a personal God as the Immanent, and the other by using symbols. In case of the Immanent, worship usually occurs in the form of pure meditation and at the spiritual level. On the other hand, when a worshipper views God as being external to him, then the worship is symbolic. Here, symbols (objects and deities etc.) used are generally prakrit (comprising of prakrti / nature and therefore involving three modes or gunas -- sattva, rajas, and tamas). Note that the worshipper in this case needs to be careful as to what exactly the object of adoration (such as the deity) and the method of worship (yajna etc.) stand for, because that will determine the outcome (fruits) of such worship.

Object of meditation (worship) should be beyond or above the Law of Karma. It should not become part of the sansara (world) -- as a soul or the constituent matter -- and be not existing at times in the mode of darkness or ignorance (Tamas). Note that only Brahman is above and beyond Karma, is changeless, and meets these conditions (Gita: Ch. 5 - V. 29). On the other hand, if the meditation (worship) is intended towards a secondary figure (such as a guru or a deity) who is subject to the Law of Karma, the results from such effort will also be secondary (Gita: Ch. 9 - V. 25). The meditation (worship) symbols and methods should be therefore carefully selected.

Note also that the religious offerings and gifts, though important, are voluntary and motivated by faith and love. Moreover, worships and rituals should not be performed miserly and with a desire for vainglory (RV: Book 7 - Hymn 32.9; Gita: Ch. 9 - V. 26, Ch. 16 - V. 17, Ch. 17 - V. 13).

Jai Shree Krishna

Guest guest

Hi ganeshprasad,

I like ur detailed reply and agree the concept of everyone worshipping their fav god like farmer worshipping varuna.Canu tell me which god to worship to be a attractive person...a all attractive one that would be irresistable to women...for people who call me a pervert or anything..let me forewarn u..if i was a pervert then what do u call Lord Krishna as..sorry for being early in reply for that,i say so cause i asked someone this before and that is what they branded me..i hope mr ganeshprasad doesnt think that way.

Jai Ganesh

Re

(Canu tell me which god to worship to be a attractive person...a all attractive one that would be irresistable to women...for people who call me a pervert or anything..let me forewarn u..if i was a pervert then what do u call Lord Krishna as..sorry for being early in reply for that,i say so cause i asked someone this before and that is what they branded me..i hope mr ganeshprasad doesnt think that way.)

You do not want to know what I think; your futile attempt to malign Lord Krishna does not wash with me,

Do us all a favour and go away, only come back when you really want to learn but I guess that is not what you are here for.

May that all attractive one favours you in due course of time

Jai Shree Krishna