IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
krishnadasa

Vimanika purana - The book of Aeronuatics written down already

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Oke the topic is vimanaka sastra.

There is nothing ancient about the Vimanaka sastra( its not a purana ).It's a 20 century book, written in 1918 ( in sanskrit by Subbaraya Sastry who credited it to a ancient saint Maharshi Bharadwaja. He said he went in a trance where he saw images from the past. Proces also called channeling. Like the books itself says, it is written in 1918 ( many years after the first balloons and american and european aeroplanes).

As far as its usefullness. No scientist can take the book seriously.

"there is no exposition of the theory of aviation (let alone antigravity). In plain terms, the VS never directly explains how vimanas get up in the air. The text is top-heavy with long lists of often bizarre ingredients used to construct various subsystems. This includes items such as monkey skin, eagle bones, sea-foam, and many that are only named in Sanskrit..." ( quote preface ).

" The 1923 technical illustration based on the text (all of which are reproduced here), are absurdly un-aerodynamic. They look like brutalist wedding cakes, with minarets, huge ornithopter wings and dinky propellers. In other words, they look like typical early 20th century fantasy flying machines with an Indian twist."

( quote preface )

Anyone he makes a thing like these vimanas and jumps of a cliff will be in serious danger. At least, nobody should try that at home /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Propellor drawings were done centuries ago. Leonardo vinci, jules verne etc etc. and every culture produced legends and tales about flying like birds and flying vehicles.

Hey,

i do agree with what u said, but guess the scholarly shown in the language out ther is just marvelous. I mean i am not sure whether he got realised thru Rsi Shri Bharadhwaj to write this book , but still a good pice of work in sanskrith. And many of the facts like Different types of Vimaanas in different yugas have infact made it more appreciable.

Yes as u said it did not fully give the physics of flying but i guess that was not reqd at that time as things were moving with mantras rather than artificial means

anyways commments are welcome

hari hari bol

p:S At least i m happy that the Mod did not delete the thread considering it as useless or nonsensical