Guest guest

Murder in Vrndavan

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://buddhiyoga.org/

Murder in Vrndavan

By Deena Bandhu Das

Posted April 23, 2005

All the devotees in Vrindavan are furious. One of their oldest and dearest friends in Vrindavan a gigantic ancient neem tree standing next to Sadhana Kunj has been mercilessly buthchered by Dr. Samik Rishi Prabhu. Everyone is coming telling me how he outright lied to them in February and said he would never cut down this tree, maybe cut few branches in the way of making a guesthouse. I also had advised him not to cut this tree, but build around it and let it shade the courtyard.

One devotee counted 350 rings on one of the main branches. Another visiting Godbrother who knows trees said that if that many are on the branches, then the tree could be 500 years old! It may have been here when Chaitanya Mahaprabhu visited Vrindavan.

This tree has been my friend for the last 21 years. I used to gaze on this magnificent tree from the roof of the Gurukula while chanting my rounds in the morning. Later before the MVT Guesthouse went up, I would have his darshan doing rounds around the MVT pathways. All the devotees say the same thing that this tree is their old friend. Nobody can believe what just happened. Everyone tells me it is like their hearts have been ripped out from their breasts. This was such an enourmous noble magnificent neem tree.

Not that the devotees didn't put up fight. They went to the Forest Dept. and got it stopped as it is totally illegal to cut down trees in Vrindavan. That slowed things down for a month. But later one of the merchants of Loi Bazaar told the devotees, that his lawyer met Samik Rishi's lawyer in the court and showed him the order of the court allowing them to murder this old resident of Braja. They asked well can't we appeal, and he replied that obviously he paid some money. Then you can pay some money. He will pay some money. Where will it end.

If I hadn't have been in Mayapur and on Safari, I would have done something about this senseless slaughter. I have very good contacts in the Forest Dept., but I only found out about it during the wonderful 30th anniversary festival we just had in Vrindavan. By the time I got there to see my friend, it was too late....

You can even see in the pictures, how all the symbols of Vishnu are on this tree. Near the base you can clearly see the Gada, then above and to the left is the Shanka, about midway is a small chakra, and near the left top a beautiful lotus.

All the devotees are so angry, they told me they have cursed that he will never be able to stay in Braj. They have cursed that he will never be happy. They have cursed that this project fail. They have vowed to boycott any opening ceremony should anything be built there. They have cursed that nobody will feel happy to stay there. And everyone told me they will encourage all devotees to boycott staying in this guesthouse. Without the mercy of the Vaisnavas, then what is the use?

And we had just heard from Kishori how she complained to Srila Prabhupada that they were going to cut down the tamal tree in the courtyard of Krishna Balaram Mandir and he was furious.

They cut down an old tree in the Dallas Gurukula since it was leaning on the roof and they thought it posed a danger to the students. The next time Prabhupada came, he immediately missed his old friend and asked what happenned to the tree. When they informed him, he said just see, this tree has stood here for a hundred years and in a few minutes you have finished him. He was so furious, that no one could enter his room the rest of the day. And this tree in Braja was 500 years old!

And finally a quote from Gaura Kishore Das Babaji Maharaja about a so-called sadhu who cut a tree down in Navadvipa:

Babaji Maharaja told those nearby, "This atheistic person has informed me that he has cut the wish-fulfilling trees and creepers of Navadvépa. Alas! Alas! Just see! Just see! It grieves us to cut even a solitary dry tree of Navadvépa. These trees and plants are our eternal friends. They assist Lord Gaura in His eternal pastimes. These cruel persons never achieve the qualification to perform devotional service to Lord Hari. By making an outward show of being a Vaisnava, they bring misfortune to themselves and to others as well."

In service of Sri Sri Krishna Balaram,

Deena Bandhu dasa