IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Eggs...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

If some kind hearted soul can post some relevant links or points as 2 why we shud not eat eggs, i will be obliged. Thx. in advance. Happy

Guest guest

Though one may argue like from eatable egg no live chicken can come and all,the very thought of egg,its smell etc reminds us the killing of hens.

Also egg is Tamasic food in nature and strict Shastric followers will avoid onion and garlic also.The point is that they are able to produce some passionate qualities in due course of time which are a sure impediment on the spiritual path.

Leave and let others live.

Hare Krishna

Guest guest

all foods including vegetables produce karma...

so at absolute level every food force us to take a new birth ad suffer again..

the only way is to offer before eating our food in sacrfice to god..

in this way thisfood ceases to be karma and becomes yoga, connection with the absolute, prasadam, god's mercy..

god in bhagavad gita explains what he accepts in sacrifice, and we find wich foods are moral (satvik)..

among moral foods there's not meat, fish, eggs, intoxicants, alcohol...

that's the real reason to use some foods and to reject other ones..

but let us remember thatwe have to offer our satvik food to god, otherwise all our effort is almost useless

Guest guest

egg not for bringing life on earth. chicken requries male hen to produce egg with offsprign. otherwise chicken lays empty unfertilized egg, no life at all? so where is the confusion?

Jai Ganesh

RE

(egg not for bringing life on earth. chicken requries male hen to produce egg with offsprign. otherwise chicken lays empty unfertilized egg, no life at all? so where is the confusion?)

How do you know which egg is impregnated?

in any case unfertilized egg is menstrual cycle of the hen, enjoy, not my Recommendation.

Jai Shree Krishna

Guest guest

Dear Happy,

Hare Krisna Please read the below verse from Bhagavat Gita and you can understand cleary why devottees do not eat eggs.

Hari Bol

Jai Goura Nitai

YS

Pita das

Chapter 9. The Most Confidential Knowledge

TEXT 26

patram puspam phalam toyam

yo me bhaktya prayacchati

tad aham bhakty-upahrtam

asnami prayatatmanah

SYNONYMS

patram--a leaf; puspam--a flower; phalam--a fruit; toyam--water; yah--whoever; me--unto Me; bhaktya--with devotion; prayacchati--offers; tat--that; aham--I; bhakti-upahrtam--offered in devotion; asnami--accept; prayata-atmanah--of one in pure consciousness.

TRANSLATION

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.

PURPORT

Here Lord Krsna, having established that He is the only enjoyer, the primeval Lord, and the real object of all sacrificial offerings, reveals what types of sacrifices He desires to be offered. If one wishes to engage in devotional service to the Supreme in order to be purified and reach the goal of life--the transcendental loving service of God--then he should find out what the Lord desires of him. One who loves Krsna will give Him whatever He wants, and he avoids offering anything which is undesirable or unasked for. Thus, meat, fish and eggs should not be offered to Krsna. If He desired such things as offerings, He would have said so. Instead He clearly requests that a leaf, fruit, flowers and water be given to Him, and He says of this offering, "I will accept it." Therefore, we should understand that He will not accept meat, fish and eggs. Vegetables, grains, fruits, milk and water are the proper foods for human beings and are prescribed by Lord Krsna Himself. Whatever else we eat cannot be offered to Him, since He will not accept it. Thus we cannot be acting on the level of loving devotion if we offer such foods.

In the Third Chapter, verse thirteen, Sri Krsna explains that only the remains of sacrifice are purified and fit for consumption by those who are seeking advancement in life and release from the clutches of the material entanglement. Those who do not make an offering of their food, He says in the same verse, are said to be eating only sin. In other words, their every mouthful is simply deepening their involvement in the complexities of material nature. But preparing nice, simple vegetable dishes, offering them before the picture or Deity of Lord Krsna and bowing down and praying for Him to accept such a humble offering, enable one to advance steadily in life, to purify the body, and to create fine brain tissues which will lead to clear thinking. Above all, the offering should be made with an attitude of love. Krsna has no need of food, since He already possesses everything that be, yet He will accept the offering of one who desires to please Him in that way. The important element, in preparation, in serving and in offering, is to act with love for Krsna.

The impersonalist philosophers, who wish to maintain that the Absolute Truth is without senses, cannot comprehend this verse of Bhagavad-gita. To them, it is either a metaphor or proof of the mundane character of Krsna, the speaker of the Gita. But, in actuality, Krsna, the Supreme Godhead, has senses, and it is stated that His senses are interchangeable; in other words, one sense can perform the function of any other. This is what it means to say that Krsna is absolute. Lacking senses, He could hardly be considered full in all opulences. In the Seventh Chapter, Krsna has explained that He impregnates the living entities into material nature. This is done by His looking upon material nature. And so in this instance, Krsna's hearing the devotee's words of love in offering foodstuffs is wholly identical with His eating and actually tasting. This point should be emphasized: because of His absolute position, His hearing is wholly identical with His eating and tasting. Only the devotee, who accepts Krsna as He describes Himself, without interpretation, can understand that the Supreme Absolute Truth can eat food and enjoy it.

Guest guest

Thx Pitaji for yr shastric reply. I do understand meat & fish not being consumed. But why eggs r considered improper? Is there any bonafide reason mentioned by Srila Prabhupada or the scientific community which we cud present 2 the common people for convincing them. Pl hit me w/ facts as much as possible. Personally i don't eat eggs, but i am having hard time convincing others as to why we shudn't eat eggs, onions & garlic. Is it just because of the smell? Is there any other factor involved? What substitute do u recommend for these?

Thx 2 u in advance. Happy

Guest guest

Hare Krishna Happy

Eggs are not considered foodstuff for human beings

There are 3 modes of nature goodness ,passion, and ingroance.

Within these 3 modes there are substances that take on or place one much more under or within these modes.

Meat fish eggs preserved and rotten foods,are within the modes of ingroance.

foods which are very hot or very salty ,oinions ,garlic,

are within the modes of passion.

And food like milk,fruits,vegetables,grains are within the mode of goodness.

Foods within the modes of goodness are suitable to be offered to Lord Vishnu.

Other foods are not and because of this we do not take them .

One who offers thier foods to Lord Vishnu is freed from any sinful reactions as even in eatting vegetable some slight volence is there.

And also is released from so much sinful reactions because he eats foods which were frist offered to the Lord in sacarfice.

One who eats just to saisfiy the tounge does not eat food but according to Lord Krishna eat pop, karma ,sin...

The mind becomes effected by the ill effects of such diets

and one can not understand Dharma

Guest guest

In mahabarath Bhima has drunk the blood of Human (Dussashan). Who said eating egg is prohibited.. if possible you can also drink blood that too of a human being. it doesnt make any big difference...

Guest guest

Can u be like bhima to lift a tree?

Answer responsibly otherwise keep ur mouth shut

Guest guest

if you kill humas and you drink human blood your consciousness will be not so much disturbed by eating eggs

of course i hope that you'll be soon captured by the police and given death penalty

Guest guest

pitaji, thx for yr input. i appreciate it. One might say that onions & garlic then can b taken in very little amount so that it doesn't arise the passion in us. how do we counter this argument? Also some people r allergic 2 dairy products. What is the substitute for them?

Thx again in advance. happy

Guest guest

One might say that onions & garlic then can b taken in very little amount so that it doesn't arise the passion in us.

If one wants to eat onions and garlic then do so separately as these foods are not offerable to Lord Vishnu

There is some karmic reactions

A strict practioner will not take onions and garlic .In China the Buddhist also do not take these

The point is That we want to take foods which are only first offered to Krishna and not any thing else.

We are against eating boga food which has not been offered to Krishna .

We are for takeing the Lords mercy Prasad

For medical reason sometimes garlic is precribed for aliments like amebas in the stomach .This ofcourse can be used to cure these things

You said....

----------------------

Chapter 9. The Most Confidential Knowledge

TEXT 26

patram puspam phalam toyam

yo me bhaktya prayacchati

tad aham bhakty-upahrtam

asnami prayatatmanah

SYNONYMS

patram--a leaf; puspam--a flower; phalam--a fruit; toyam--water; yah--whoever; me--unto Me; bhaktya--with devotion; prayacchati--offers; tat--that; aham--I; bhakti-upahrtam--offered in devotion; asnami--accept; prayata-atmanah--of one in pure consciousness.

TRANSLATION

If one offers Me with love and devotion a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it.

--------------------------

Your interpretation says krishna says "i will accept it", but it does not say "i will 'only' accept that".

The actual interpretation is "If one offers Me with love and devotion 'even' a leaf, a flower, fruit or water, I will accept it."

You have missed the word 'even'. Here when asked to Krsna what is to be offered to him - the Lord says that even a simple leaf, a flower, a fruit or little water when offered with love, he will accept it, meaning, there is no need to show your affection by way of showering gold and money to impress him.

It does not in any way mean / be interpreted - that you have to only intake leaves, flowers fruit and water as food....it refers to the simple offerings the commonest of man can make.

People always interpret things to suit / justify their stand. Meat, fish and eggs can be eaten, for eg., what would fishermen eat for their livelihood, what would people living at the polar regions eat for living, where they cannot cultivate. Jesus was a vegetarian, but he didn't stress it to his followers, he inturn helped hundreds of hungry fisherfolks whose staple diet was that of fish, by giving them bread and fish......religion and society is there to help people and show them the right way and not suppress their natural feelings by impressing and putting forth silly interpretations.

Guest guest

Hi I am not a Hindu I was on this site as a result of a discussion about onions and garlic and had remembered that they were not suitable for the Hindu diet. I am a vegetarian and a Christian and I was interested to see Jesus described as a vegetarian here. I know that following the Christian bible in the beginning mankind was meant to eat herbs, grain, fruit and vegetables and it was only after the biblical flood story that meat and fish were considered allowable, I assume this was due to the failure of crops due to the deluge of water. However I have never honestly considered Jesus to be vegetarian so I was interested in your view on this.

Thank you for your reply,

Julie /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

there's plenty of scriptures (puranas, mahabharata ecc.) where's written krsna's diet and there's no meat, fish and eggs

krsna is called GOVINDA... the protector of the cows, so GOVINDA does not accept any offering of meat...

so the bhagavad gita's verse has to be taken as literal..

---

people who are forced to eat fish, eggs, meat etc. are not guilty as the ones who can be easily vegetarian, but they are also guilty because they live in such places having committed various sins in the previous lifes..

if in the prison no vegetarian food is served and i go in the prison, i am not as guitly as one who is free and who can choose his food freely, but i am guilty because i am there being a criminal

did i say that krsna eats meat or will accept meat as offering?

I pointed out that, when you are interpreting, you interpret it in full and correct way, understanding the real meaning lying therein.

Here the importance is not about the type/value/size/shape of the material offered, but the will to offer.....you go to a temple, pray and thank god, that is the best offering, even though no material offering is made.....

----------

people who are forced to eat fish, eggs, meat etc. are not guilty as the ones who can be easily vegetarian, but they are also guilty because they live in such places having committed various sins in the previous lifes......

----------

So you mean to say that those who have access to vegetables were pure souls in the last birth ???? If they were pure, they should never have born again, because once you attain purity your soul becomes one with the Lord and you are free from the cycle of birth.

Also what about these so called vegetarians (non-sinners in their last birth), who never touches meat and fish, but the moment they open their mouth they only have ill and foul things to say about others, breeds hatred and jealousy in their mind.....so, did God made a mistake by making them vegetarians this time??? Or did they trick God in their last birth to be born in a good place???? God being the knower of all should have known this.

Your deeds in the last birth never determines your birth in a certain family or place. That's a misconception.

The fact is that, whether you are born a priest or a fisherman, if your mind is not clear you will never attain salvation.

Whether you stay a vegetarian or no its your choice. It depends upon your way of seeing things.

thanks julie for your query. Infact it is from most of my christians friends (who had good knowledge of bible) and reading stories on the life of jesus that got me to conclude that Jesus might have been a vegetarian. From these above references, nowhere it is found/mentioned that Jesus used to consume meat or fish.

Also, christians, who generally consumes meat and fish, observes a fasting, prior to christmas, avoiding meat, fish and even milk, in some of the sects. If christians believed in Jesus, and supposing if Jesus used to cosume meat then there is no harm in consuming meat on any occasion, as your diety/belief himself sets an example.

It is similar to most meat-eating hindus, who believe that hindu dieties didn't consume meat and consider it as a sin, hence they fast on religious occasions avoiding consumption of meat etc., to be free of sin and get blessing of the diety. This similarity leads to an indication that even Jesus was a vegetarian and to get his blessings christians observe this fasting.

It is still debated much though. You can refer to this site given below, which i found interesting....

http://www.vnn.org/editorials/ET0110/ET06-6911.html

thanks

Guest guest

I was interested in your thoughts on this matter as a vegetarian myself it would, of course, be nice to think Jesus was a vegetarian. I thought you might like to know that Christians in general fast (excluding meat, eggs and other animal foods) during the period before Easter and this is called lent. So you may well have made a valid point in your last post although I feel you might agree that this cannot be proved, after all what can be proved, it is all mostly a matter of faith. I hope you don't mind me sharing with you another point related to the Christian bible and that is in the Gensis story God placed man in the garden of Eden to dress and keep it, in other words to Christians the first human created by God was a gardener!

With good wishes,

Julie /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hare Krishna

Yes, vegetarianism is a part of a diet of one who likes to develop saintly character of compassion, mercy, non-violence etc. If one who desires to develop these qualities but is eating meat; is supporting killing of animals or is killing animals himself, such a person is a first class hypocrite.

Therefor, for the Christians there is a low class diet with meat that is the cause of hellish life in the future; and the first class diet which was followed by all the true first Christians living in the Catacombs; by saint Franciscan; by the Benedictines order and some other Christian groups.

I found an interesting link that on the base of Bible and sayings of Christian saints supports vegetarianism. Have a nice reading.

http://members.aol.com/feloflife/feloflife.html

Please chant Hare Krishna and be happy.

Nitai