IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Pankaja_Dasa

These Four Slokas describe who God is.

Rate this topic

SB.2.9.32-34

TRANSLATION

All of Me, namely My actual eternal form and My transcendental existence, color, qualities and activities-let all be awakened within you by factual realization, out of My causeless mercy.

TRANSLATION

Brahma, it is I, the Personality of Godhead, who was existing before the creation, when there was nothing but Myself. Nor was there the material nature, the cause of this creation. That which you see now is also I, the Personality of Godhead, and after annihilation what remains will also be I, the Personality of Godhead.

TRANSLATION

O Brahma, whatever appears to be of any value, if it is without relation to Me, has no reality. Know it as My illusory energy, that reflection which appears to be in darkness.

TRANSLATION

O Brahma, please know that the universal elements enter into the cosmos and at the same time do not enter into the cosmos; similarly, I Myself also exist within everything created, and at the same time I am outside of everything.

SB.2.9.36 Purport

The cream of Srimad-Bhagavatam in the foregoing four slokas is sometimes squeezed out by the impersonalist for different interpretations in their favor, but it should be carefully noted that the four slokas were first described by the Personality of Godhead Himself, and thus the impersonalist has no scope to enter into them because he has no conception of the Personality of Godhead. Therefore, the impersonalist may squeeze out any interpretations from them, but such interpretations will never be accepted by those who are taught in the disciplic succession from Brahma, as will be cleared up in the following verses. Besides that, the sruti confirms that the Supreme Truth Absolute Personality of Godhead never reveals Himself to anyone who is falsely proud of his academic knowledge.

The sruti-mantra clearly says (Katha Upanisad 1.2.23):

nayam atma pravacanena labhyo

na medhaya na bahudha srutena

yam evaisa vrnute tena labhyas

tasyaisa atma vivrnute tanum svam

The whole matter is explained by the Lord Himself, and one who has no approach to the Lord in His personal feature can rarely understand the purport of Srimad-Bhagavatam without being taught by the bhagavatas in the disciplic succession.

SB 2.9.37