IndiaDivine.org

WHAT IS SELF-REALISATION?

Rate this topic

barney

The difference between an ignorant man and the man of Self knowledge lies not in the actions they perform but in the consciousness with which they perform or the attitude they bring to their actions. In this chapter Astvakra challenges

Janaka to prove that he is a man of Self-knowledge whilst still ostensibly attached to wealth etc. Janaka very ably meets this challenge and proves himself to be ever present in Self knowledge and completely unidentified with his own actions.

Astvakaras questions Janaka about his material possession his amorous pastimes and, wonders how one abiding in the supreme nonduality can be subject to the above. Janakas answer is that feted and feasted tormented or serene a self-realised person ever sees the Absolute Self and is neither gratified nor angry.

The high souled person witnesses his own body acting as if it were another. As such how can he be disturbed by praise or blame. Janaka explains in the next chapter how the self realised may lead a similar life but do so differently.

THE HIGHEST STATE

Here Janaka speaks of an even higher state in which even the attempts at dissolution appear to arise out of a residual presence.

The pure Self is unlimited and makes not even this effort. "Boundless as space am I and the phenomenal world , this is knowledge. So it has neither to be renounced nor accepted nor destroyed".

There is no renunciation, no acceptance nor distinction I am like mother of pearl and the illusion of the universe like its silver. This is knowledge. I am indeed in all beings and all beings in me.

This is knowledge. So there is neither any renouncing nor acceptance or distinction. "I am that I am"

Janaka - in my state of self-realisation. I first became detached to physical action then to speech and then to thought.

Having no attachment to sound, to other sense objects, with no perception of a Self, my mind is feed from distraction and is onepointed. So knower of the Self.

This is no duality-for everything is Self. So there is nothing to see for there is no seer nothing to hear for there is no hearer, nothing to speak for this is no speaker, nothing to think there is no thinker.

For everything is the Self and Self-alone. Meditation is only a stage in Self-realisation. The Self is beyond thought and cannot be the object of thought.

To realise Brahman one must go beyond the limitation of the mind and become Brahman itself.

Ultimately for true happiness, transcend, renunciation or acceptance. Both presuppose egoism and attachment which spring from ignorance.

The practices of penance and meditation, study of scriptures, presuppose imperfection. These are but the paths, on cessation of these strivings comes

Self-realisation when you permanently abide in the Self. In this state, action of the body, mind and sense are viewed with a detachment, for the Self remains unattached.

There is neither association nor disassociation. I do not lose by sleeping nor gain by striving. So giving up thoughts of loss and gain I live happily.

Self-Realisation is pure, tranquil. Having renounced the universe and the self I now perceives the Supreme Self.

As cloth when examined is nothing but thread so this universe when analyzed is nothing but the Self.

Just as a clay pot dissolves into clay, a wave into water an ornament into gold so the universe which emanates from me will dissolve into me.

The Ture Knower

The true knower has gained the fruit of knowledge as well as the practice of yoga he is therefore contented and enjoys being alone.

Those desirous of worldly enjoyment and those desirous of liberation both coexist in this world. But rare indeed is the great souled one who is not desirous of either enjoyment or liberation.

Rare is the man who has neither attraction for nor aversion to dharma (duty), Artha (worldly Prosperity), kama (desire) and moksa (liberation) as well as life and death.

Enlightened by the knowledge of the self and with his mind absorbed and contented, the wise one lives happily, seeing, hearing, touching, smelling and eating.

He is free from ignorance and its resultant karmas and desires, he has no inner motives, his actions have no end in view, objects of the senses do not leave any impressions on his mind.

He neither sleepings nor awake as he does not seek the objects of the world nor does he perceive them the way we do.

He is dead to the relative world, yet, he is not asleep as he is ever conscious of the self pervading universe. He is above actions or inaction.

The liberated ones neither slanders, nor praises, neither rejoices nor is he angry, he neither gives nor takes. He sees no or cruelty, humility or arrogance. He abides in a state of Absoluteness. His mind is purified of all delusion.

In such a state all functions or the attributes of the mind cease to operate. In this state, final realisation bursts forth of which no description is possible.It is to be experienced.

Self realization means to know thyself. that you are part and parcel of the whole package deal. it does not mean when you receive a parcel of goodies this christmas that what`s inside of it is all yours.

That what`s inside are presents that should have been shared to the others who were recipients of that gift given by the benefactor.

As long as you are ignorant of this metaphor, then you can`t declare yourself realized.

Realization is when you know who is the Cause of your being. Realization means that you know it isn`t osama bin laden who`s the author of sept. 11. That the realization is that it`s Vasudeva who caused it to happen.

That those who have knowledge of this and believe that it`s Vasudeva`s the real author of sept. 11, then I say you have reached the platform of self-realization.

Om Namo Vasudevaya Sarvam Iti Mahatma Sudarlabha is the self-realization that I`m Krsnaraja.

---------------------------