Guest guest

ISKCON iraq.. the preaching has begun

Rate this topic

Guest guest

http://www.chakra.org/discussions/ODiscJul12_04.html

ISKCON Iraq: The preaching has begun

by Jaya Govinda das

Posted July 12, 2004

Lord Caitanya's mercy has spread to Camp Anaconda, where fourteen soldiers gathered last night to chant the maha-mantra and take some prasadam (sent to me by the good devotees of New Vrndavana).

One of the soldiers attending the gathering was none other than my unit chaplain, who I've been slowly cultivating over the last couple months). Chaplain "L" (we'll call him Chaplain "L" for safety reasons) is a very educated and open-minded Roman Orthodox, who happens to be going through some "faith issues" at the present

He has found new comfort and assurance in the Bhagavad-Gita, though he feels a bit guilty from time to time, as he doesn't want to lose his faith in the Holy Bible. After all, he's belonged to that "club" for thirty some-odd years. I encourage him to embrace the teachings of Lord Jesus, but not to let those teachings limit him to a sectarian mindset.

It's funny, though. The chaplain, whose sole purpose in the Army is to provide spiritual guidance and morale to the troops around him, is questioning his own faith and finding solace in Prabhupada's Gita. Amazing!

A small group of ultra-"born-agains" (including one guy who told me I'm going to hell because I have tattoos) have accepted defeat in the argument of vegetarianism in the Bible, but only one has decided to apply it, which brings the number of vegetarian recruits to three (the other two being Chaplain "L" and another guy who couldn't come up with a reason not to try it).

There's a group of Indian contractors who live on the camp, and we've been having weekly meetings for the past few months. They all eat meat, but they like to have me over for some chanting and bartering. We've had to improvise with various tools for kartalas, but the holy name is there.

One Iraqi man on who works on-post turned out to be an amazing artist who paints portraits for some extra cash. I gave him a picture of Srila Prabhupada and a picture of Krsna, and he painted them beautifully. He told me he spent half the day just looking at the picture of Krsna to soak up every detail. Glory to Allah!

So, the preaching is going on, by Prabhupada's mercy, and the mercy of the devotees who have supported our mission here. (My godbrother, Partha Sarathi prabhu, is also doing some much needed preaching at his base).

I'm calling on all devotees to help. If anyone has anything they can spare to assist in spreading Krsna consciousness to the soldiers here, it would be a remarkable service. We've all heard people saying "support the troops." Well, this is the best way we can support these guys. There are people dying over here, and we might be their last chance.

If anyone could help, I could use books, devotional CDs, prasadam (non-perishable, obviously), beads/bags, and anything else you think would be useful.

My mailing address is:

King, Justin B.

C Co. 29th SIG. BN.

Camp Anaconda

APO AE 09391

Mail takes about two weeks from the US. You can write me with any questions or comments at: jayagovinda@msn.com. Thank you. I appreciate your help, and so do the troops.

Guest guest

may the tri-dharmas of hinduism advaitha,dwaitha and vishisthathvaidha flourish worldover

Guest guest

he's preaching acynthia beda abeda tattva... that soldier is a vaishnava, not a hindu

Guest guest

Soldier-devotee evokes curiosity about Krishna

by Partha Sarathi das

Posted July 15, 2004

As you have read from my godbrother, Jaya Govinda prabhu, the holy name of Krishna has made it to the war-ravaged land of Iraq. There is so much preaching to be done.

I have found that a lot of Iraqis are favorable. They are curious to see an American praying on japa beads, and the soldiers are especially receptive. My command has asked me to explain Krishna consciousness to them and they are amazed at the beliefs. I was in the gym exercising when I saw some senior members of my unit. A few asked me what was playing in my iPod. I responded with "Hare Krishna bhajans, Sir." To my amazement, he asked to hear, then afterwards told me that in his college days he used to go to an ISKCON temple for Sunday feasts.

Krishna says that He is found where devotees are describing His glories or chanting His name. Therefore by His mercy the conditioned souls are starting to awaken their dormant love for Krishna. It's amazing, because most people can realize this here -- that we are all servants of God. I spend most of my "down time" talking with people about what love of God is, based on Srila Prabhupada's books.

Lord Caitanya's wish was to see Krishna consciousness in every town and village. Iraq isn't a fully Krishna conscious country, but the seed has been planted.

Guest guest

that Vaishnavas are hindus. I am a vaishnava, but consider myself a hindu. There are many sects in Hinduism, and Saivism, Vaishnavism etc. are some of them. That is all. No need to create an artificial division between hindus and vaishnavas.

Guest guest

It's not AGAINST any philosophy, it merely presents a different perspective on things, and a different interpretation of Hinduism.

Condemning those who believe in advaita doesn't make you enlightened, or much of a Hindu by the way. Hindus should be tolerant of all the different facets of the religion, because it affords great diversity in perspectives. Some view Shiva as the ultimate goal, some view Vishnu, some view the impersonal aspect of God as the highest goal. God takes the form that you most connect to, when you see him/her.

Guest guest

God takes the form that you most connect to, when you see him/her.

give a logical explanation (but i another thread.. we are absolutely OT)

Guest guest

The division you are trying to make is not correct.

Brahma, Vishnu and Siva are the major hindu trinities.

Hinduism accepts all the philosophies including atheism.

And Lord Krishna is one of the Avatars of Vishnu.

So better not to make any half baked statements that does not reflect reality.

Guest guest

Condemning those who believe in advaita doesn't make you enlightened, or much of a Hindu by the way

who's condemning? only advaita is opposite to vaishnavism. A vaishnava does not want to merge with god, he wants to love god. For him merging, if possible, is a suicide

no condemnation, everyone has the right to have his own ideas

Guest guest

The division you are trying to make is not correct.

-the difference of principes is manifest

Brahma, Vishnu and Siva are the major hindu trinities.

-brahma, vishnu, shiva are simply managing the powers of the material nature. The trimurti is not the ultimate aspect of divinity

Hinduism accepts all the philosophies including atheism.

-so better to remain vaishnavas and not mix with it

And Lord Krishna is one of the Avatars of Vishnu.

-if this is the conception of hinduism another reason to not to be mixed in it (an avatara is a plenary manifestation of vishnu, so vishnu and krsna are the same person... but vishnu shows an official aspect of god, chief, isvara, controller... and krsna shows intimacy, love and the divinity of vishnu at the same time... for this reason the personality, the aspect of krsna is to be considered the supreme)

So better not to make any half baked statements that does not reflect reality.

-i absolutely agree... are you speaking of some friend?

Guest guest

Jai Jai Srí Krsna Govinda

HARE KRSNA HARE KRSNA KRSNA KRSNA HARE HARE HARE RAMA HARE RAMA RAMA RAMA HARE HARE

Forgive me if I sound rude but allow me to ask a question.

ISKCON had gone to Iraq to preach about Krishna Consciousness. And as you all know, Iraq had been in war and now, under the supervision of USA.

So, question is - Is it Vedic Culture or part of Hindusm to preach your beliefs to another in an occupied territory?

To me, it seems that the Muslims will look at it as another form of invasion. Muslims will look at it as if Hindus have joined forces with Christians and have engaged in war against them. This will bring bad reputation to Vedic Society throughtout the world.

I believe Hindusm should be taught to ONLY those who are interested to listen. Forcing people (whose beliefs are different) to listen (to you) in a state which is occupied by another, is not Vedic, it is barbaric.

This is how Christians conquered India ... do you need to repeat the same mistake with someone else?

Guest guest

I agree with Sephiroth. Iraq is a minefield and there already deep divisions within the Shiite and Sunni muslims. Wasn't it Krishna who said, to each his own dharma ?

ISCKON may meant well by saying that they do this for benefict of others, but I don't think Muslims will listen to their logics.

Japanese employees who were there to assists in getting communication system up after the war was also attacked, as result of Japan send troops to Iraq, so I doubt ISCKON could be any luckier.

Muslims in India and Pakistan could use this as an excuse (as if they ever ran out of one before) to start terrorist plots against Hindus (and India in general) and this will just lead to another Palestine-Israel like problem.

Someone should inform ISCKON to thread carefully. If they alone go (up in smokes) with Muslim, fine ... if they take India with them, not good.

Guest guest

"ISKCON had gone to Iraq to preach about Krishna Consciousness. "

absolutely not...

simply this initiated devotee is a soldier and he's preaching..

his personal (extremely nice) initiative..

in iskcon circles many are protesting for this mixing

absolutely not...

simply this initiated devotee is a soldier and he's preaching..

his personal (extremely nice) initiative..

in iskcon circles many are protesting for this mixing

That changes nothing. Initiated devotee is still a ISCKON member and he is preaching (with or without ISCKON's approval) in Iraq. That is all that the Muslims need to know to use as an excuse.

And one more thing ... since when do Krishna Conscious people go to war? I thought they supposed to be lovey dovey type who are devoted to Sri Krishna alone.

Whether within ISCKON circle, anyone protesting or not, it doesn't matter. No one stopping him and he is still continuing his action. That is all that matters.

as far as i know, an HK soldier is preaching to interested peer sodiers.

i believe that if we use the word HK (meaning Hare Krishnas, meaning the western disciples of prabhupada) and avoid using the word iskcon, then it will help.

no need to worry about what the iraqis or muslims will think about it. they know (per koran) that also HKs are kafirs, to be killed or converted to islam.