IndiaDivine.org

Buddha and Krishna

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The ninth incarnation of Vishnu is said to have been Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha.

Buddha's role as an avatara is described in both good and bad ways. Some say he came to preach a false religion and delude the wicked. Some say that Buddhism actually brought those who were atheistically minded back into communion with God. And some say that Gautama's teachings provided the reform needed in a ritual heavy religion that was losing touch with the common people.

Was Buddha then a deluder or preacher of false ideas? I dont get it, Buddha seems to teach many concepts that Krishna teached too.

Here is something that i found interesting too

The great conqueror, Kalki then paid homage to his father and started for conquering Kikatpur with his army. The Buddhists live in that city. The residents of that city do not worship God or their forefathers. They do not fear after-life. Other than the body, they do not believe in any soul. They do not have any pride in their lineage or in their race; money, marriage etc. are insignificant to them. People of that place eat and drink a variety of things. When Jin (the leader) heard that Kalki has come to fight them, he gathered a huge army and went out of the city to fight Him.

~ Kalki Purana, II[6], Verses 40 to 44

Not sure, but how do Buddhists not believe in a soul? Don't they believe in reincarnation? How does that happen without a soul?

Didn't Buddha when he experienced nirvana, see his past lives?

By the way, the way the Kalki Purana denigrates Buddhism and Buddhists in particular leads me to think that the Kalki Purana was really written after the emergence of Buddhism, and was basically religiously or philosophically influenced.

the Kalki Purana is considered a secondary Purana (upapurana). It is also referred to as anubhagavata, being sometimes regarded as a sequel to the Bhagavata Purana belonging to the Vaishnava sectarian tradition (Norman, 1908). Nothing can be said for certain about its date of composition. The text may not be very old, but since it describes the triumph of the Brahmanical religion over Buddhism and Jainism viewed as heresies one can say at least that it reflects a period between the seventh and the twelveth centuries when these religious traditions were on the decline

I think these puranas were written after the appearence of Buddhism, as others here have written.

I think to understand what The Buddha's mission was, it would be more beneficial to hear of that mission from The Buddha's own words, such as recorded in the Buddhist scriptures like the Pali Cannon where the Buddha explains his purpose himself.

The so-called Hindu explaination of who The Buddha is definately biased and politaclly motivated. Those puranas were written after Buddhism had become very popular in India. Certain Brahmins might have felt threatened by this and wanted to create some kind of explaination of why the Buddha's teachings had been successful by minimizing them as inferior saying that The Buddha was actually Visnu teaching something inferior. It seems that it was really just a last resort of envious people who couldn't defeat Buddhist philosophy and ideas with logic. But history has uncovered that these puranas (including the Bhagavat Purana!) were actually written later than the Appearence of The Buddha (not before).

• 4 months later...
Guest guest

well said. please go to the source, the vishnu purana. we know little, but will know more when the moment has arrived. afterall, isn't kalki all about truth and love?

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

I don't think it literally translates as Buddhists, more like non-believers of God, but the term Buddhists became the translation overtime because some considered a false religion. Also, I think the Buddha came to lead those who didn't want to believe in God to a righteous path.