IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

miracles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Do hindu saints perform miracles that help common folk like ..saving a persons life or curing cancer or making a kid on a wheelchair walk.. with the same frequency and intensity like their christian counterparts. I think this in itself should answer a lot of questions about which religion is more helpful.

Guest guest

maybe yes... but the focus of the message is not on these material things.. the big problem is to stop the birth, death and sufferings and go back to godhead.. to have a cancer cured and go to hell it is useless..

jesus christ has come to teach us to surrender to god, not to make some tricks with our health to give us a more long life to make more sins

Guest guest

Good point. But it is based on the assumption that every person who wants good health is goint ot go to hell. You can have good health and still go to heaven. I know of christian saints that saved a boys life in nepal after he was bitten by a snake. Theres nothing materialistic about that. Helping alleviate peoples suffering is a noble deed and a saint can easily teach about surrendering ones self to god, and cure peoples ailments at the same time.

I am a hindu by birth but having serious thoughts about christianity because it seems to care about its desciples more than hinduism does. Ofcourse hinduism is more than a religion...I like the philosophical, medicinal(ayurveda) and scientific aspect of hinduism but the religious aspect seems to be lacking something. I think hindus should do more to help alleviate peoples suffering on the earth as well as teach them about uniting with the divine in the afterlife. Just doing the latter might not be enough.

Hindu sages have done a lot of miracles. I know a lot of Siva devotees who have done a lot of miracles (I don't know many Vishnu devotees' miracles, because I have learnt only a little about it, and just started now). Search for Nayanmaarkal. They have woken up dead bodies, and they've raised people from their ashes and all. I think Sai-Baba can do some tricks like that. It's really not a big deal. All you have to do is raise your kundalini, and when you are in the middle of that process, you can do miracles and tricks. But if you raise it completely, you won't do miracles, it's not that you can't, but you won't want to do it. When you get to that stage, you've already realized god, and you don't want to do anything after that. If your mind is strong, others can't do any miracles on you. You know some people I've seen on TV, when chrisitian people advertise for their religion by showing some tricks, when the person touches him/her, they faint, and some don't. It's becase of their mind. Weak mind people will faint easily. All is in your mind. There are a lot of hindu sages, yogis who can do all the miracles chrisitian sages can do. You have to find them, they won't find you. But hindu sages or yogis don't advertise about it. Cancer can be treated by practice of yoga, with a great guru. Some of christian miracles seems like actors who have been setted up to do. I'm not criticizing any religions or Jesus Christ, but they just seem so. Curing a person from snake bite is not a big deal. Anyone who knows the ancient vedic meditation methods can wake up those. Even after the heart stop beating. Your soul will not go out immidiately, it stays in your kundalini for some hours after your body is put to death. If someone can raise that soul to your forehead, or atleast stomach, you'll be saved. If not, well, that's all.

So, the main point for meditation is to raise your kundalini, which is a hardest thing to do. Some websites offer sound tracks which they say can raise your kundalini, I'm not sure about it though. It's all in your mind. If you have a strong mind, no one can hypnotis you or do any tricks on you.

Guest guest

"Good point. But it is based on the assumption that every person who wants good health is goint ot go to hell. You can have good health and still go to heaven. I know of christian saints that saved a boys life in nepal after he was bitten by a snake. Theres nothing materialistic about that. Helping alleviate peoples suffering is a noble deed and a saint can easily teach about surrendering ones self to god, and cure peoples ailments at the same time.

I am a hindu by birth but having serious thoughts about christianity because it seems to care about its desciples more than hinduism does. Ofcourse hinduism is more than a religion...I like the philosophical, medicinal(ayurveda) and scientific aspect of hinduism but the religious aspect seems to be lacking something. I think hindus should do more to help alleviate peoples suffering on the earth as well as teach them about uniting with the divine in the afterlife. Just doing the latter might not be enough."

Surely, you're aware that there are Christians in India that seek to delude Hindus into believing that they can only be saved through Jesus Christ and that Christianity is the right religion. They give a placebo to a villager, tell them to pray to Krishna, and take it and if they aren't healed, then they give the right medication, tell the villager to pray to Jesus, and they do get cured. I've read this happening many times. Be careful about what are miracles and what are just tricks.

A religion isn't supposed to be about miracles, nor is there a "right" religion. What do you think God represents? What do you think God's values are? Read the Bible, read the Bhagavad-Gita, the Vedas, etc. and make your own decision, but I wouldn't advise you to make a decision based on the number of miracles.

Besides all that, wasn't there a miracle a couple of years ago, where Hindu idols began to drink milk? Was that miracle proven to be false? I've heard it was, but I've also heard that the explanation wasn't satisfactory.

By the way, does anyone know if the idols still drink milk, or has it really been proven it was just a hoax, or no big deal really?

Guest guest

I was just wondering if physical deformities can be cured by raising ones kundalini. Using meditation techniques to perform miracles seems more to do with physics than religion. ONe can meditate and still be a aetheist, what if that person performs miracles? Is it because of that persons ability or because god entered that persons heart and helped perform the miracle? Because I was reading about raising ones kundalini on the internet and it seems to be more of a science than anything to do with god. or is it the same?

Guest guest

How come hindu saints don't go out of their way to help people by performing miracles like their chritian couterparts ? Helping people is a great thing..once you attain enlightment and raise your kundalini extremely high, how come one forgets about the suffering about common folk and concentrates on his/her spiritual needs? that seems pretty selfish to me. That may be a reason hindus never had a mother terresa like figure who cares about sick people ..once the saint attains union with god he/she forgets about the rest of humanity and the fact that we might need their help.

It's that person's ability because it's their ability to raise the kundalini. Kundalini is raised by practicing yoga, and controlling the mind by the air you breathe. A yogi doesn't really have to believe in god. But in order to raise the kundalini, a yogi need his/her guru to help. But Kundalini is a way to go back to godhead. It's a feminine energy in our body. You can do all sort of things with your Kundalini raised. You can do the things such as bending a spoon by looking at them and all. I really don't know anything about yoga. But if you practice yoga, you can get your kundalini raised. Once it's fully raised, you'll realize god. And then, even if you are an aetheist, you'll know that god do exist. If you want to gain more physical strength to do all these things, do Yoga with a help of a good guru.

<<..How come hindu saints don't go out of their way to help people by performing miracles like their chritian couterparts?..>

Because hindu saints doesn't want to advertise their religion. But they'll be known to people, and a lot of people go to them. Even if those saints want to cure a person, they cannot cure unless the person who has to be cured believe in that meditation. And a divine power is not something you go and show off. If you do so, people might start treating you like god, and you'll get ego, and you won't be able to concentrate on raising your kundalini.

<<..raise your kundalini extremely high, how come one forgets about the suffering about common folk and concentrates on his/her spiritual needs..>>

If someone raise their kundalini completely, they will become quite. It's not that they won't do miracles if you go to them with pure thoughts.

<<..That may be a reason hindus never had a mother terresa like figure who cares about sick people..>>

A lot of people like Mother Terresa are in India, helping a lot of sick people. You just don't know any of them. You should go to India and see what's going on in Vedic Land. Or just shut up.

Help is there, you have to search for it.

Guest guest

"I was just wondering if physical deformities can be cured by raising ones kundalini. Using meditation techniques to perform miracles seems more to do with physics than religion. ONe can meditate and still be a aetheist, what if that person performs miracles? Is it because of that persons ability or because god entered that persons heart and helped perform the miracle? Because I was reading about raising ones kundalini on the internet and it seems to be more of a science than anything to do with god. or is it the same?"

Science supports the idea of God. Just because you can explain something in a scientific manner, does not mean there's nothing spiritual about it, or that God wasn't behind it. Kundalini is a mechanism to awaken something mankind had, but somehow lost a long time ago.

For instance, Gopi Krishna activated his Kundalini wholly by accident, but when he did, he was completely convinced that there was a cosmic intelligence behind creation. Yet he talked of Kundalini from a scientific perspective.

Besides, how else do you explain communication with spirit guides and such when Kundalini is awakened? What about when certain people with Kundalini can see the future?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you don't have to arouse your kundalini to heal your deformities or illness. You could also do reiki.

Guest guest

"How come hindu saints don't go out of their way to help people by performing miracles like their chritian couterparts ? Helping people is a great thing..once you attain enlightment and raise your kundalini extremely high, how come one forgets about the suffering about common folk and concentrates on his/her spiritual needs? that seems pretty selfish to me. That may be a reason hindus never had a mother terresa like figure who cares about sick people ..once the saint attains union with god he/she forgets about the rest of humanity and the fact that we might need their help."

Who says they don't? What if they just don't seek publicity when they do it? They're not out to convert people, because hindu saints don't believe and aren't on a quest to convert people. Many Christian saints are, so any illness, imagined or real, big or small, that is healed through a "miracle" will be fodder to spread the word that they've performed a miracle through the power of Christ. This doesn't mean they'll be curing more people just because they will themselves to. Who are they helping except for one person most of the time? Who says that they can repeat that miracle? All it means is that they want you to believe Christianity is the right religion, and if your belief in Christ is strong, maybe someday you'll experience a miracle too.

That's all. These Christian saints don't perform miracles everyday. When one supposedly happens, they generally seek to use it to convert people.

On the other hand, there are Hindu "saints" too, that perform miracles. However, they use those "miracles" to please audiences and show off, which is to be sidetracked on the quest to spritual enlightenment. That's not supposed to be their goal.

And yes, by the way, the quest for spiritual enlightenment IS entirely personal, so I don't think hindu saints are likely to perform "miracles" for others just because others need it to be done.

By the way, I find your desire to quantify the number of miracles each religion has, as an exceedingly shallow approach to spirituality.

Real spirituality should about personal enlightenment. It includes appreciating everything as an expansion of God

Christians, in general, don't even believe that everything is an expansion of God. They believe that God is God, and that he simply CREATED everything, he isn't IN everything. It also, I think, has mandates to convert people to Christianity, where's the respect for other religions there? Yet Hinduism respects all religions as a path to God.

I'm not condemning Christianity, I'm just showing you that while Christians may express their love of the whole world, it's not complete and unconditional.

By the way, a hindu saint doesn't have to perform miracles just to help people. He can simply help people whenever they come to the saint, by offering them food when they're hungry, shelter when they're homeless, etc. And no expectations come from these acts. Many Christian saints do the same thing, but you seem to be obsessing over the whole "miracle" thing, and that makes me question your approach to spirituality.

Guest guest

I think they're the same thing really. Based on the same idea of chakras and meditating on those chakras to heal the organs and such. Reiki is just the name a Japanese Buddhist gave it meaning universal energy or something like that. It's the idea that cosmic rays enter the body and a person can use this to heal his chakras. You have to be activated first by a reiki master for it to work, but once you get activated it's with you for life. And there are different levels of reiki to be activated in.

Usui Reiki is what the Japanese Buddhist called it, but he learned it from reading the Indian sutras that talk about self-healing. I'm pretty sure it's the same thing as prana, just presented a little differently. Same idea though.

A good site for reiki discussion I think is www.reiki-4-all.com

Guest guest

You all say hindu saints don't advertise their religion like their christian counterparts..I agree with that..But

ONce hindu saints attain enlightenment, don't you think it's their duty to tell others about the wonders of enlightenment and how it could save them? For example if I discover something wonderful; I would like to spread the word....that is not considered showing off that is sharing knowledge. Although some christian saints do show off, and even use religion to make money, I don't agree with them but spreading the word of god or enlightenment is not neccessarily a bad thing.

Guest guest

Yes I agree with the previous message..sharing knowledge is not neccessarily the same as showing off. For eg. I do attain enlightenment ..I'll want others to know about it...not to advertise myself, but so others are not in the dark and benifit from it. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Are you in the dark age? I suppose you have been only reading Christian news. There are more miracles done by Hindu saints than Jesus or any Christian evangelist. In India there are not only miracles happening daily but the our scriptures are full of remedies for any kind of sickness. Only those who have faith in such remedies have been cured. Ayurvedic science is now being experimented by western scientist and they found it to be the mericale cure for all sickness and soon we will have pills made from herbs grown in India. Now the west is producing insecticide from neem plant grown in every Indian home. Be open minded and you will find the real truth.

Oh! Yes, they do care because they need to increase their quota. That was how Christianity spread in India. And the poor and the sagregated would definately would swing to their side. But that is not the work of Hinduism or its organisation. It you rather teach you to fish than buy a fish for you. Because if I give you a fish you would only be able to eat for a day but if I teach you how to fish you can survive till end of your time. That is Hinduism.

Guest guest

"You all say hindu saints don't advertise their religion like their christian counterparts..I agree with that..But

ONce hindu saints attain enlightenment, don't you think it's their duty to tell others about the wonders of enlightenment and how it could save them? For example if I discover something wonderful; I would like to spread the word....that is not considered showing off that is sharing knowledge. Although some christian saints do show off, and even use religion to make money, I don't agree with them but spreading the word of god or enlightenment is not neccessarily a bad thing."

What you were talking about was hindu saints performing MIRACLES. THAT'S not sharing knowledge, that's FLAUNTING it.

First of all, if someone follows Hinduism well, the chances are they won't get sick. Hinduism says "don't eat meat", as you know every diseases comes from animals. If you the animals alone, you won't get diseases such as AIDS or those stuffs. Hindusim prohibits even the married ones to have sex to enjoy them self. And if everyone practices yoga properly, no diseases can get them. Even genetic diseases are cured by yoga practice. In our veda, it says all about medicines that we need to know. And our sages knew how to cure snake bites and everything.

<<..But

ONce hindu saints attain enlightenment, don't you think it's their duty to tell others about the wonders of enlightenment and how it could save them?..>>

They have already done that. But most of us doesn't really care or believe in those. Our sages have told us all about god, and the wonders of enlightenment in our vedas and puranas. Nowadays sages are following their foot steps. They are not the one who discovered them, they learn about knowledge our sages passed to us and believe in them, therefore they achieve their enlightenment. And in Gita god said not to pass the knowledge that he has given to us to those who are not interested and have no believe in them. Therefore, if someone really wants to gain knowledge, he/she has to find a good guru.

Guest guest

Good point. But it is based on the assumption that every person who wants good health is goint ot go to hell.

=no, simply a detached person is not searching for health or long life, he knows that he's not the body and, from saints, asks spiritual realization and not other things..

The saints, in every religion, give health or make miracles when they find very gross materialistic people so attached to the matter that they have the need to learn that there's something supernatural beyond their limited vision, so they make miracles as demonstration of this.

When there's no need, they do not do it.. they give more important and deep things

I am a hindu by birth but having serious thoughts about christianity because it seems to care about its desciples more than hinduism does.

=in itself there's no problem in your position, you have not to consider the name of the religion, you have to consider what you want by spirituality then go to the school you find more competent.. you do not need miracles, you are already recognising the need of a spiritual enlightement. So find a serious path, a pure and detached master and learn spiritual science. Miracles are for ignorant persons, you already know that you have to quit the suffering of repeated birth and deaths.

So choose your school on serious basis

I think hindus should do more to help alleviate peoples suffering on the earth as well as teach them about uniting with the divine in the afterlife.

=you have surely to study seriously the scriptures and spiritual science of your country, then decide what you want by religion and spirituality

Guest guest

You have a good point, but let me ask you something..

You say the gita says not to pass the knowledge of god to who are not interested but how is a person whos in the dark,going to get interested in god unless you preach about the virtues of god to him/her? If you just keep the knowledege of god to yourself, then tend to be an elitist.

Sometimes people don't know about the virtues of god or enlightenment..don't you think its your duty to tell them that or do you mean to say its their tough luck that they don't know about god let them suffer while I keep all the knowledge to myself. I am not saying all hindu sages are like that, but they tend to stay in hiding or anonymous.

And in todays mordern society many indians haven't read the gita..we should encourage them to read it, it might change their minds about god. Do you think god distinguishes between a person who was interested in him to begin with and another one whos mind was changed, or who was enlightened because someone shared the appropriate knowledege with him/her?

Secondly on miracles, there are 2 types of miracles one is using your gift to show off...the other is healing people; like people who are born with genetic defects and don't have the money or means for treatment. For eg. I know of a boy who was born with just one hip bone. He went to this priest at a local church who was known to perform miracles, two days after the priest prayed for him the boy started growing a second hip bone. Now I am not trying to portray the benifits of christianity, all I am trying to say is that performing certain types of miracles to help the downtrodden can be a good thing.. and we should not shy away from that kind of responsibilty.These kind of miracles can be used to show people that god does exhist and that he loves us. Not everyone knows this, and he/she should not be abandonned because help is available only for the one who believes. An atheist or a non belivere can be made a beliver(I don't mean converting people to hinduism, but there are a lot of indifferent people out there with wrong ideas about god) and by doing that you are sending one more soul to heaven.

Guest guest

I've read conflicting reports on raising ones kundalini. Some say there are dangerous consequences if one fails. Apparently some people have died trying to raise their kundalini. Also some people say that raising ones prana can enhance you sexually while others say it diminishes ones sexuality. I was wondering ..are any of these statements true?

<<..ones prana can enhance you sexually while others say it diminishes ones sexuality. I was wondering ..are any of these statements true?..>>

I heard that as well. I heard one swami said in a speech that when someone raises his/her kundalini to upto your chest, you won't have any sexual feelings. But in the web, I found articles telling me that raising Kundalini enhance your sexuality. It's really confusing. I think that when you raise your kundalini to a certain point, your sexuality can be enhanced.

<<..I've read conflicting reports on raising ones kundalini. Some say there are dangerous consequences if one fails. Apparently some people have died trying to raise their kundalini...>

Never heard of that before. I heard from the same swami I mentioned before, that you can raise your kundalini just by saying "Om Namachivaya" You can say that anytime anywhere, and that mantra will hit your snake on the head, and it'll start raising.

<<..Sometimes people don't know about the virtues of god or enlightenment..don't you think its your duty to tell them that or do you mean to say its their tough luck that they don't know about god let them suffer while I keep all the knowledge to myself..>>

I don't think that you can show some one who doesn't really care about god about enlightenment. I speak from my experience. I always tell my friends about whatever I learn about God or Religion, but they don't really care. They just say "whatever" Some people just make up their minds not to listen. You cannot teach them about religion unless they realize that there's some super natural power after all this. If they realize that, they'll probably want to know about it desperately, and they'll search for it. We don't have to tell them about it. If someone, however believe very much in god, and doesn't have any knowledge of their religion or a stablized mind about which religion is good, they can be easily converted. That's how I think people are converted to christianity more.

For the miracles: There are a lot of hindu sages do miracles, like Sai-Baba. Because you don't know many, you don't have the right to say that there are none.

Guest guest

You seem to have a pretty negative outlook on this matter. Yes I understand that some people won't listen, but there might some who listen. Its definately worth a try. How come christians get so many converts..if they can do it, hindus can too. I don't mean actually converting people from other religions to hinduism, but trying to convert people from indifference towards god to faith in god...thats all. I'm sure god would appreciate that because you just saved a soul.....and sometimes miracles help people believe that there is a god because a lot of people are skeptics or don't know better.

ONe more question this is a philosophical question I was wondering about...there are 2 people...the first one spends all his time helping the poor..preaching about god..basically sacrificing his life for the unfortunate and in educating people about god..... the second person uses all his time to meditate and pray ,but doesn't help anyone.

he's basically just helping himself..spiritually that is.

Who do you think would god look upon more favorably?? the person who gave up his opportunity to pray and meditate inorder to help people ..or the person who prays day and night???