IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

other translations of 'Shunya'

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In the thirties Buddhism attracted for the first time a lot of interest in the West. Buddha described the reality of existence by the Sanskrit word 'Shunya'. A western scholar translated it with the english word 'emptyness' and since then this translation has remained. I feel that it is a rather incorrect translation that undermines the message of Buddhism and at times makes it seem as too negative. I would like to hear from some people who know sanskrit if there are better translations of this word. I know that Sanskrit words are very difficult to translate as they are more experiential than intellectual but it would be worth exploring a better definition.

regards

Soham

Dear Soham,

This is an interesting word, and I agree with you, it seems to have been misuderstood not just in the west but in the east as well. From what I understand this term "shunya" really doesn't mean empty or void as is sometimes translated. I think a better definition might be "devoid" as in "my heart is devoid of love", or "the room is devoid of occupants" etc.

Recently I read a very helpful book on this topic called "Heartwood of the Bodhi Tree: The Buddha's Teaching on Voidness" by Buddhadasa Bhikkhu. This book is dedicated entirely to defining this word Shunya in light of the Buddha's teachings. If you can find it, I think you might like it.

In this book Acariya Buddhadasa Bhikkhu explains that what the Buddha explains when he uses the word Shunya is that all forms are devoid of self. The body exists, and the mind exist but they are devoid of self. None of these elements are self. Just another way of explaining the no-self idea anatta. So if i say this body is shunyata, or empty or void, what I'm really saying is it is devoid of self (or true self). I'm not saying it is nothing, but just temporary and devoid of self. It is just a mass of ever changing and fluxuating elements.

Or one might say a liberated being has realized shunyata, which means thier heart is devoid of greed hatred and delusion, and they have become free from ego and selfishness. They are devoid (shunya)of selfishness. Thats all. In later schools this word gets taken out of context and turned into some kind of abstract metaphysical idea. But as Buddhadasa Bhikkhu explains in the book, this was really not the intended meaning.

Hopes this helps a bit.

Guest guest

autumn I was just curious how long you have been a buddhist and what kind of buddhist practice do you do? do you go to a temple, get together with other buddhists, meditate, etc.

thanks

I think I've really been a buddhist for quite a while and didn't fully realize it, if that makes sense. Anyway, I have studied the Buddhas teachings in some capacity on and off for maybe 12 years (as well as the teachings of other traditions), but didn't really think about putting them into practice untill maybe about two years ago when I started doing vipasanna meditaion. I get most of my inspiration from the Theravada tradition and especially the Thai forest traditions. I have a great respect for all the Buddhist traditions though, as well as all the religious paths of the world. There is not really a sangha or temple where I live so I try to do the best I can on my own for now, and talk to people via the internet sometimes and read books. I'm just a layman so I really don't have much in the way of intense practice... Hope that satisfies your curiosity.

Guest guest

I wonder what your gurudeva, Satsvarupa Dasa Goswami would think about all of the offences you have committed towards fellow devotees?

one who is a buddhist for along time, or is a vaishnav for a long time, then it becomes difficult for one to understand/agree to the other philosophies and sadnanas.

when one has invested so many years in one philosophy and sadhana, one does not want to agree that one was wrong or less intelligent. some ego plays part here too.

only very few can quickly give up one past sadhana and pick another better sadhana/philosophy when they know it is better.

this is just a side point here.