IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

bead bags below the belt and behind the back

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Dandavats Pranams.,Could someone please inform me why so many aspiring devotees,western as well as indian, chant on their sacred tulsi beads in bead bags below the waist and also behind the back near the buttocks?What does the Hari-Bhakti-vilas say about this?

Many people do not know the fine details of proper action. I'm sure all of us can think of a dozen things we used to do when we were new to Krishna consciousness that now look stupid or foolish.

The fact that there are so many aspiring devotees chanting is a great thing. The Hari Bhakti Vilasa speaks about these peoples advancement in spiritual life, and how we should respect them for taking to the chanting of Lord Krishna's names. It is not possible to chant the Lord's names without having performed much spiritual penance in previous lives. Other external things are not very important for us to see.

I don't understand what is being said here. I tie my bead bag around my hand. Does it mean that I should avoid letting the bag drop below the belt line while chanting?

And how would the bead bag ever make it behind the back and by the buttocks while chanting?

I'll save my question on clickers as I doubt the Hari-Bhakti-vilas has anything to say there. I use a clicker in public as it draws little or no attention.

It took me a moment to figure out what gopaldas meant. By "below the waist" I think he (?) means resting our beads in our laps as we sit or letting our arm hang below the waist as we walk. By "behind the back near the buttocks: I thing he means locking our hands behind our back as we walk, with the arms hanging so the hands are resting on our butt(ock). The pictures I got in my mind as I tried to figure this one out were so goofy that this is the only understanding that makes any sense to me.

Both Babhru and Jndas have offered the same explanation on the back and buttocks question. I never thought of that but it does semm like the only plausable answer.

When walking with my beads tied to my hand I suppose I let the bag swing naturally back and forth to my side and below my waist.

Also while sitting I let my bead bag hang over my knee, or close to it.

Can I claim a plane excemption? You know like the moon being father than the sun.At least while I am sitting. Even though my bead bag is on my thigh it is still above, or at least equal to, the the position of my genitals.Higher plane in relation to my head.

Ah forget it. It starts to get too complicated real fast and makes my brain hurt. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

HARE KRSNA, PLease allow me to clarify,it may seem trivial,BUT-- Our chanting of HARE KRSNA on sacred tulsi mala representing the 108 chief gopis are worshipable ;as to dangle them below the waist while walking or worse yet holding them behind the back also resting the bead bag next to the buttocks is to say the least inattentive. YES? I have seen some sadhus from india who always hold their bead bags next to their heart and covered with a shawl. i point this out for my own purification.

Our chanting of HARE KRSNA on sacred tulsi mala representing the 108 chief gopis are worshipable...

Yes, therefore we should be very careful with our chanting. Unless it is our service to point out other's flaws, it is best to avoid it and offer all respects to them for chanting the Lord's holy names. This is the safest approach to take, and will be in our own self interest.

for me to hear of these things although there is no way I will every live fully up to the highest standard.

I do have a lazy sloppy approach to all things divine and need to correct that tendancy.

Guest guest

We have to follow Srila Prabhupada's instructions. If we concentrate more on rules or regulations

then we won't be able to think of Krishna. There are only four

rules in ISKOCN that are given more importance. But chanting beneath the belt,

etc. these rules are like those that are said to be followd just

for the sake of being followd--As said in Nectar of instructions.

Prabhupada says:Just chant and listen with the beads kept in

a bag. Why should we worry about about the orientation of

bead bag. Of course it will be good if we keep bead bag at our

heart's place but just to think that ::I am not progressing because of that..

is not a wise statement.