IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
leyh

HE LIVES FOREVER BY HIS DIVINE INSTRUCTIONS

Rate this topic

"We appeal to everyone to take to the Krsna Consciousness movement and chant the Hare Krsna mantra. Even if you cannot give up your bad habits and sinful activities at once, still take to the chanting of the Hare Krsna mantra, and before long you will become purified and your life will be glorious."(His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta in a talk given on appearance day of Srila Bhaktivinoda Thakura

on September 1973,Mumbai,India)

[This message has been edited by jndas (edited 02-05-2002).]

The following is a transcript of a morning walk conversation between His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (1896-1977), Founder-acarya of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness and a disciple in Geneva, June 1974. The transcript appeared in Back to Godhead , the magazine of the Hare Krsna Movement as the following article:

Give God the Nobel Prize

On an early morning walk, Srila Prabhupada points out to his Disciples how insignificant are man¡¯s scientific achievements compared to God¡¯s limitlessly complex creation. (June 1974, Geneva)

Srila Prabhupada: Just look at this fig. In this one fig, you find thousands of seeds --- and each tiny seed can produce another tree as big as the original fig tree. Inside each little seed is a whole new fig tree.

Now, where is that chemist who can do such a thing: first, make a tree, and then, make the tree bear fruit, and next, make the fruit produce seeds --- and finally, make the seeds produce still more trees? Just tell me. Where is that chemist?

Disciple : They talk very loudly, Srila Prabhupada, but none of these chemists and such can do any of these things.

Srila Prabhupada : Once a big chemist came to me and admitted, ¡°Our chemical advancement, our scientific advancement, is like a man who has learned to bark. So many natural dogs are already barking, but no one pays any attention. But if a man artificially learns the art of barking, oh, so many people will go to see --- and even purchase tickets for ten dollars, twenty dollars. Just to see an artificial dog. Our scientific advancement is like this.¡±

If a man makes an artificial imitation of nature, say by barking, people go to see and even pay money. When it comes to the natural barking, no one cares. And when these big so-called scientific rascals claim they can manufacture life, people give all sorts of praise and awards. As for God's perfect, natural process --- millions and millions of beings born at each moment --- no one cares. People don't give God's process very much credit.

The fool who concocts some imaginary scheme for creating living beings from dead material chemicals --- he is given all credit, you see: the Nobel Prize. ¡°Oh, here is a creative genius.¡± And nature is injecting millions and millions of souls into material bodies at every moment --- by the arrangement of God --- and no one cares. This is rascaldom.

Even if we suppose you could manufacture a man or animal in your laboratory, what would be your credit? After all, a single man or animal might be created by you, but millions and millions are created by the Lord. So we want to give credit to Krsna, who is really creating all these living beings we see every day.

Disciple: Prabhupada, you remember Aldous Huxley, who in Brave New World predicted a process of genetically screening babies, of breeding men for certain traits? The idea would be to take one strain of traits and breed a class of working men, take another strain of traits and breed a class of administrators, and take still another strain of traits and breed a class of cultured advisors and scholars.

Srila Prabhupada : Once again, that is already present in God¡¯s natural arrangement. Guna-karma-vibhagasah : according to one¡¯s qualities and activities in his past life, in his present life he gets a fitting body. If one has cultivated the qualities and activities of ignorance, then he gets an ignorant body and must live by manual labour. If one has cultivated the qualities and activities of striving passion, he gets a passionate body and must live by taking charge of others --- administration.

If one has cultivated the qualities and activities of enlightenment, he gets an enlightened body and must live by enlightening and advising others.

So you see, God has already made such a perfect arrangement. Every soul receives the body he desires and deserves, and the social order receives citizens with required traits. Not that you have to ¡°breed¡± these traits. By His natural arrangement, the Lord equips particular souls with particular kinds of bodies. Why even try imitating what God and nature already do so perfectly?

I told the scientist who visited me, ¡°You scientists --- you are simply wasting time.¡± Childish.They are imitating the dog's barking.The scientist pays no attention,gives no credit to the real dog doing the real barking. Actually, that is today's situation.When the natural dog barks,that is not science.When the artificial,imitation dog barks, that is science.Isn't it so? To whatever degree the scientist succeeds in artificially imitating what the Lord's natural arrangement is already doing --- that is science.

Disciple : When you heard, Prabhupada, about the scientists claiming they can now produce babies in a test tube, you said,¡°But that is already being done in the mother¡¯s womb.The womb is the perfect test tube.¡±

Srila Prabhupada : Yes. Nature is already doing everything with utter perfection.But some puffed-up scientist will make a shabby imitation --- using the ingredients nature supplies --- and get the Nobel Prize.

Disciple : They should give the Lord and Mother Nature the Nobel Prize.

Srila Prabhupada : Yes, yes.

Disciple : Really, I think they should give you the Nobel Prize. You¡¯ve taken so many foolish atheists and created devotees of God.

Srila Prabhupada : Oh, I --- I am a ¡°natural dog,¡± so they'll not give me any prize.[ laughs.] They will award the prize to the artificial dogs.

A devotee, however, is never disturbed by dangers, reverses, or calamities. Rather, he welcomes them. Because he is a surrendered soul, he knows that both dangers and festivals are but different demonstrations of Krsna, who is absolute. In the sastra, the Vedic literature, it is said that religion and irreligion, which are complete opposites, are merely the front portion and the back portion of God. But is there any difference between God's front and God's back? God is absolute, and therefore a devotee, either in opulence or in danger, is undisturbed, knowing that both of these are Krsna.

When a devotee is in danger, he thinks, "Now Krsna has appeared before me as danger." In His form of Nrsimhadeva, the Lord was dangerous to the demon Hiranyakasipu, but the same Nrsimhadeva was the supreme friend to the devoted Prahlada Maharaja. God is never dangerous to the devotee, and the devotee is never afraid of dangers, because he is confident that the danger is but another feature of God. "Why should I be afraid?" the devotee thinks. "I am surrendered to Him." (Teachings of Queen Kunti By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Chapter Eight:Let There Be Calamities)

The following is an excerpt of a conversation between His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (1896-1977), Founder-acarya of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness and Bob Cohen,a Bob Cohen, a science teacher in the Peace Corps.took place in Mayapur,India.

The transcripts of several conversations between Srila Prabhupada and Bob Cohen can be found in the book Perfect Questions,Perfect Answers.

Bob: Is Krsna attractive to rascals?

Srila Prabhupada: Oh, yes! He was the greatest rascal also.

Bob: How is that?

Srila Prabhupada: [laughing] Because He was always teasing the gopis.

Syamasundara: Teasing?

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. Sometimes when Radharani would go out, Krsna would attack Her, and when She would fall down--"Krsna, don't torture Me in that way"--They would fall down, and Krsna would take the opportunity and kiss Her. [He laughs.] So, Radharani was very pleased, but superficially Krsna was the greatest rascal. So unless rascaldom is in Krsna, how could rascaldom be existent in the world? Our formula of God is that He is the source of everything. Unless rascaldom is in Krsna, how can it be manifest... because He is the source of everything. But His rascaldom is so nice that everyone worships His rascaldom.

Bob:What about the rascals who are not so nice?

Srila Prabhupada: No, rascaldom is not nice, but Krsna is absolute. He is God. Therefore His rascaldom is also good. Krsna is all-good. God is good.

Bob: Yes.

Srila Prabhupada: Therefore, when He becomes a rascal, that is also good. That is Krsna. Rascaldom is not good, but when it is practiced by Krsna, because He is absolutely good, that rascaldom is also good. This one has to understand.(Perfect Questions,Perfect Answers By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Chapter One:Krsna, the All-Attractive)

We should always consider the position of the isvaras,or those who can actually control the movements of the sun and the moon,as superior. Without such power,one cannot imitate the isvaras,who are superpowerful.Lord Siva drank poison to the extent of swallowing an ocean, but if any common man tries to drink even a fragment of such poison, he will be killed. There are many pseudo-devotees of Lord Siva who want to indulge in smoking ganja (marijuana) and similar intoxicating drugs, forgetting that by so imitating the acts of Lord Siva they are calling death very near. Similarly, there are some pseudo-devotees of Lord Krsna who prefer to imitate the Lord in His rasa-lila, or dance of love, forgetting their inability to lift Govardhana Hill. It is best, therefore, that one not try to imitate the powerful, but simply follow their instructions; nor should one try to occupy their posts without qualification. There are so many "incarnations" of God without the power of the Supreme Godhead.( From Bhagavad-gita As It Is By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Purport toBhagavad-gita3.24)

"The spiritual body is developed through the practice of Krsna consciousness. This material body is spiritualized by this bhakti-yoga process. If you place an iron within fire, the iron becomes so hot that it also becomes fiery. When the iron is red hot, it acquires all the qualities of fire. If you touch something with that iron, that iron will act as fire. Similarly, although this body is material, it can become spiritualized through Krsna consciousness and act as spirit. Although copper is just a metal, as soon as it comes in contact with electricity, it becomes electrified, and if you touch it, you will receive an electric shock.

As soon as your body is spiritualized, material activity ceases. Material activity means acting for sense gratification. As you become spiritualized, material demands dwindle until they become nil. How is this possible? In order for an iron to act as fire, it must remain constantly in contact with fire. In order for the material body to become spiritualized, one must remain constantly in Krsna consciousness. When this material body is fully engaged in spiritual activities, it becomes spiritual."(Path of Perfection By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Chapter One:Yoga as Action)

[This message has been edited by leyh (edited 01-27-2002).]

"I shall remain your personal guide whether I am physically present or not, just as I am getting guidance from my Guru Maharaja."(His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, October, 1977, Vrindavana)

"Krsna, by His different energies, diffuses heat and light through the agency of electricity and the sun. During summer season it is Krsna who checks rain from falling from the sky, and then, during the rainy season, He gives unceasing torrents of rain. The energy which sustains us by prolonging the duration of our life is Krsna, and Krsna meets us at the end as death.By analyzing all these different energies of Krsna, one can ascertain that for Krsna there is no distinction between matter and spirit, or, in other words, He is both matter and spirit.In the advanced stage of Krsna consciousness, one does not therefore make such distinctions. He sees Krsna only in everything." (From Purport to Bhagavad-gita 9.19 By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

Before accepting sannyasa (the renounced order), Lord Caitanya was known as Visvambhara. The word visvambhara refers to one who maintains the entire universe and who leads all living entities. This maintainer and leader appeared as Lord Sri Krsna Caitanya to give humanity these sublime teachings. Lord Caitanya is the ideal teacher of life's prime necessities. He is the most munificent bestower of love of Krsna. He is the complete reservoir of all mercies and good fortune. As confirmed in Srimad-Bhagavatam, Bhagavad-gita, Mahabharata and the Upanisads, He is the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Krsna Himself, and He is worshipable by everyone in this age of disagreement. Everyone can join in His sankirtana movement. No previous qualification is necessary. just by following His teachings, anyone can become a perfect human being. If one is fortunate enough to be attracted by His features, one is sure to be successful in one's life mission. In other words, those who are interested in attaining spiritual existence can be easily relieved from the clutches of maya by the grace of Lord Caitanya. These teachings presented in this book are nondifferent from the Lord.(From the preface of Teachings of Lord Caitanya by His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

[This message has been edited by leyh (edited 01-29-2002).]

It is not difficult to remember Krsna. Here Kuntidevi describes Krsna with reference to lotus flowers. Similarly, when Krsna describes Himself in Bhagavad-gita, He says, raso 'ham apsu kaunteya: "I am the taste of liquids." So one can remember Krsna by tasting water. Even if one is drinking liquor, if he thinks, "The taste of this drink is Krsna," he will one day turn out to be a great saintly person. So I can request even drunkards to become Krsna conscious, what to speak of others, because Krsna says, raso 'ham apsu kaunteya: "I am the taste of liquids." Generally in this context "liquid" is taken to mean water. But liquor is also liquid; it is only sugar and molasses or some other combination fermented and distilled. Of course, it is bad because it creates intoxication. Although in one sense nothing is bad, liquor is bad because it creates bad effects. In America there are many drunkards. There is no scarcity of them. But I may request even the drunkards, "When drinking wine, kindly remember that the taste of this drink is Krsna. Just begin in this way, and one day you will become a saintly, Krsna conscious person."(From Teachings of Queen Kunti By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Chapter Five:The Vision of Lotuses)

Who Is Crazy?

by

Swami A.C. Bhaktivedanta

Lord Sri Krishna says, "My dear Arjuna, there are different classes of men. One class of men, they are sleeping. And another class of men, they are awake. They are not sleeping." And how is this so? This chanting, which we have performed just now, is the wakening process for the sleeping soul. The soul is sleeping, covered by this material body. These bodily activities are in the sleeping stage. Just as we see dreams in the sleeping stage, similarly, all these bodily activities are dreams. Just think for yourself: how many incidents have there been in your past life? If you think of them, they will appear just like dreams. At least for myself this is the case. I was born in India, educated, then married, then I had very good days with my wife, got some children, some of whom died, some of whom are living, some of whom are married; now they have begotten children. All this occurred in my past life. Now it is all a dream. I have no connection with it. Similarly, in dreams I sometimes find that I have become a king. Oh, there are so many riches and so much opulence. Then, as soon as the dream is over, I come home and all is gone.

So actually, these bodily activities which we are now engaged in are not our actual life. Therefore, the Vedic mantra says, "O human race, please wake up. Just utilize the opportunity which you now have." You have a special opportunity. And what is that? This human form of life. Utilize it; don't waste it. Don't go on sleeping. This very same matter is taken up by Sri Krishna. Those who are accustomed to the yoga process know this. The first principle of the yoga process is to control the senses. This is so for every process. In any bona fide process for spiritual realization, the first principle is to control the senses. This is because the senses are dragging us into the darkest region of life. But we do not realize this.

In the Srimad Bhagawatam there is a nice verse. It says, first, man is too much addicted to this materialistic way of life. The materialistic way of life involves eating, drinking, making merry, and enjoying. That's it--that's all. Have very good food, sleep well, and defend yourself so that enemies may not enter into your country, or into your home. And, have sexual enjoyment to your heart's content. This is the materialistic way of life. But persons who are so sleeping do not realize that their real self-interest is different. Our real self-interest is that we must know of our lost relationship with the Supreme Absolute Truth.

The Supreme Absolute Truth is realized from different angles of vision, as impersonal Brahman, or localized Supersoul, or the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krishna. One who realizes the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krishna, automatically understands the other two features. But one who has approached only the impersonal feature of the Supreme Absolute Truth, has no information of the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krishna. Now here, in the Bhagavad Gita, the Supreme Personality of Godhead is present before you.

Here is the picture of Sri Krishna, with his eternal consort Srimati Radharani, His pleasure potency. In this material world, the reflection of Sri Krishna and His pleasure potency exists pervertedly. As one can see in the picture, Sri Krishna is always consorting with Srimati Radharani. His features are described in Vedic literature: He stands in a very nice curved posture, blowing His flute. This picture is not drawn from artistic imagination. It is a descriptive painting from the Vedic literature. This description is in the Vedic literature.

So, in the material world there is the perverted reflection of Sri Krishna's Pastime with Radharani. It is not sex life as we have it, although it appears to be like that. It is transcendental. But that which we are after here--that is real. A young man wants a young woman, and a young woman wants a young man--this is natural. This is not artificial. It is natural because we are all part and parcel of that Supreme Being, Krishna. His attitude is in me because I am His part and parcel, just as the quality of gold is present in the minute particles of the gold. The chemical composition of gold is one hundred per cent present in a small particle of gold. Qualitatively. Therefore the enjoyment which we want between man and women is not a perversion of love and friendship. It is simply a perverted reflection. The real enjoyment is awakened in association with the Supreme Lord, Sri Krishna. It is the same pleasure, but is in its pure form. That same bliss is there for you, but don't become entangled in this perverted form of enjoyment. Don't remain asleep. Don't remain in this dreaming condition. Have the real thing. Awaken from the dream. That is the message of the Vedas.

This is the opportunity. If you miss this opportunity in the human form of life--the developed consciousness--you will slip again into the cycle of 8 million, 400 thousand species of life that is developing, one form after another. That is the gradual process of evolution. We are still within the evolutionary process, but that evolutionary process should be forward, progressive. Not degraded. Don't slide. Don't go downward. By your many years of endeavor, you have come forward to this stage of life. Now, make further progress. Progress toward Sri Krishna. Don't go back.

The Srimad Bhagawatam says that most people do not know their self-interest in life. It is like coming to a crossroads and not knowing the way. Suppose you are going to Philadelphia, and after crossing New York City, you see a crossroads, and you do not know the road. Of course, in America, there is a very efficient system of direction on the roads. That way, you have no misguidance. Similarly, in the scriptures the Vedic literature gives you direction. Yes, here is a crossing. If you want to go this way, you may. So the Bhagawatam says that people do not know the direction by which to make progress. One must know that he must make further progress toward Vishnu. Why? Because this is a very highly developed life. In this form of life, we have very high intelligence. We have more intelligence than cats and dogs and other animals. Why misdirect it? The misdirection is due to being attracted to this bodily concept of life. One is thinking, "I shall be happy utilizing the body and the senses to the utmost."

Because we do not know what our progressive life is, we are trying to squeeze the essence out of this body. To enjoy it. In the Bhagawatam there is a very good example cited about these foolish men. They are compared with the camel. The camel is a desert animal very fond of twigs containing thorns. They have very long necks, and they take a bunch of twigs with thorns and begin to chew. By contact with the thorns, blood oozes out the tongue. Naturally, if you chew thorns, your tongue will be cut. So, when they take those thorns within the mouth and begin to chew, the blood comes out. And when the blood is mixed up in that form, they eat it, because blood has a taste he likes. He thinks that twigs with thorns are very tasteful. Our sex life is like that. Just squeeze it out of the body, and we think we are enjoying it. This is our position. Another example is given. In India the washermen keep asses. They load the ass as much as possible. The ass works all day and in the evening, his is offered some grass, and he's satisfied. For a morsel of grass, he is ready to work the whole day with a half ton of clothing on his back. Similarly, we also, the karmis, are very busy working all day and all night. And when we come home, we eat only one piece of bread. For one piece of bread, which costs not more than ten cents, one is working all day and all night. So the comparison is to the ass. The ass does not know for whom he is working so hard, and taking some bread. "This is the aim of my life." Is it my aim of life--to eat something and go to sleep, and have some sex pleasure and then die? No, this is not the aim of life. Your aim of life should be to realize yourself--that you are part and parcel of the Supreme Absolute Personality of Godhead, Sri Krishna. Krishna is awaiting your arrival, so that you can enjoy life in His association.

One does not know what the progressive way of life is. Why? Because he has understood that this sense enjoyment is life's greatest pleasure. He is foolishly thinking that he will be happy by this sense enjoyment. This is just like having a horse which is not properly bridled. It is running on, running on, and you do not know where it will throw you. Similarly, uncontrolled senses are just like unbridled horses, dragging your chariot. You do not know where it will throw you. We do not realize how responsible we are for every action. To every small part of our action, there is a reaction. And our uncontrolled senses are putting us through the chain of action and reaction and dragging us into the darkest part of the universe.

Therefore, Lord Sri Krishna says that one who has learned how to control the senses is called swami. To a controlled person, worldly activities are darkness. Those who are situated in pure consciousness see that people who work hard simply for eating, sleeping, mating, and defending--these people are sleeping. And, to the persons who are engaged in these material activities, we are sleeping. They see that Swamiji has come to America to preach something to make us inactive. He is just trying to drag us from our general engagement, and he's trying to engage us in the process of Kirtan and hearing Bhagavad Gita, and wasting time. So, they believe we are sleeping. Somebody may think, these poor fellows have gathered here to waste their time in discussing something dry, which has no meaning, which is not bringing forth anything. Let us have some business discussion, so that we can gain something from it. We see that these people are sleeping and they that we are sleeping.

Now, actually, who is sleeping? He is awake who comes to the platform of consciousness that I am not this body--I am consciousness. One is awake who has understood this simple fact, that I am not this body, I am consciousness. Without consciousness, my body is useless. Therefore, I am actually consciousness. I am pure soul, and the symptom of my presence is consciousness. I am not this body. When I think deeply, I can understand that this is my body. This is not I, body. This is my body. So, one who has understood this--he is awake.

Now, the whole process described in the Bhagavad Gita is to be awake. You are pure consciousness--spirit soul. And, not only to be awake, but to act accordingly, so that, at the ultimate end, your pure consciousness may be liberated from this bodily entanglement. Then you'll get your healthy life. This is a disease, this material life. This material body is the symptom of my diseased form of life. I am not actually subject to birth and death. I am eternal. I never take my birth. I never die. This is my real position. Then, what is this birth and death? It is due to this body. Changing the body like a dress is called birth and death. But actually, I am pure soul.

Now, people are saying that god is dead. This theory is popular. They are making propaganda that the Lord is dead. But neither God nor we will ever die; neither do we have birth. In Bhagavad Gita Bhagavan, the Supreme Personality of Godhead, Sri Krishna, says, "Arjuna, why are you afraid of fighting? Myself, yourself, and all these kings and soldiers who have assembled before us--all of them--they existed before, and they're existing now, and they will continue to exist in the future. There is no birth and death. So, this warfare should be on the condition of the body. Don't be afraid of it."

This point we have already discussed. One must understand this point: I am pure soul. My presence as pure soul is symptomatized by my consciousness. I know what has happened in my past life. And what is happening, that I can remember also. And, I can guess about my future life. At least, I make plans for my future. Unless I have my future, why should I plan? But, I am beyond this past, present and future. I am eternal. The Lord is eternal, and I am eternal also, as part and parcel of the Supreme God. Therefore, my self-interest is to attain that life of eternity. Life of full bliss. Life of full knowledge. That is the mission of my life. And one who takes that position seriously, who has taken up this mission of life, and is trying for that perfection, he is actually awake. And others who are not at this point, they are sleeping. This is the mark of a sleeping man. A man who is working strenuously the whole day, he is not actually awake. He is sleeping because his real intelligence is asleep. He has lost his self-interest. He does not know what the real interest of human life is.

All Vedic literature is imploring us, "Don't sleep! Don't sleep! Be awake! Be akake! Get up! Get up from this sleep! Utilize the boon which you now have. Don't be foolish."

People are working hard, and earning enough to eat. Especially in your country, there are sufficient means for eating, and nobody is starving. That's all right, but they are still not satisfied. I have studied this very carefully. The younger people all appear to be frustrated. It is not a very good condition, when the young generation, which is the future hope of the country, feels that there is no hope. Their future is dark. Why? Because they have no direction. What is the aim of life? What will they become? The philosophy is, work hard, get dollars, and enjoy as you like. This is misguidance. Therefore, the young are not happy. So, they take center of something which is objectionable for satisfaction. But that cannot give total satisfaction.

Now, here is an opportunity. The Bhagavad Gita can show you your actual life. Take advantage of it. Appeal especially to the younger people. Don't be frustrated; don't be disappointed. There is full enjoyment in your future. You are all part and parcel of the Supreme. Iswara parama Krishna, sat-chit-ananda vigraha. The Lord says, "Oh, these poor living entities. They are suffering so much. They are feeling frustrated. Oh, they are my parts and parcels." He is claiming. So He comes to claim you. "My dear boys, my dear children, why are you suffering? Please hear me. Give up all your engagements. Just hear Me. Try to follow what I say. I shall liberate you from all the reactions of sin." You'll find in the Bhagavd Gita that this is guaranteed. Simply surrender unto the Lord. Not only Sri Krishna, of course. Lord Jesus Christ also spoke in the same way: "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." (Matthew: 1/28-30) That is the message of all persons who come from that Spiritual World--from the Kingdom of Godhead. That is the only message.

So, actually, this Bhagavda Gita is giving you the light to a happy life. Don't miss this opportunity. Try to hear it, to have it. Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu has made it very easy. To fulfill the mission of our life, there are nine different processes of devotional service: hearing, chanting, remembering, worshipping, accepting, service, offering everything, friendship and praying. Out of these nine, the first two processes, which are principle and primary, are Sravanam Kirtanam Vishnu. Hear and glorify. That will cleanse your heart of the dust which has accumulated for so many lifetimes, and you will see things very clearly.

Swami and Goswami are different synonyms of the word for persons who are in full control of the senses. Don't be thinking that you cannot control your senses. Everyone is able. You'll get strength by this process. This chanting of Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare/ Hare Rama, Hare Rama, Rama Rama, Hare Hare will help you. Don't be dejected by thinking that you have no strength. You'll get strength. Continue this process. Kirtanam Sravanam means chanting Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Krishna Krishna, Hare Hare. And, hear some passages from the Bahgavad Gita and Srimad Bhagawatam. Utilize these two processes, and you'll find strength for your spiritual life. One has to become situated in that position of sense control.

Now, you have no doubt seen the ocean. How full it is! The ocean is so powerful that, if it rose, all New York City would be submerged under water. But it does not disturb us. It does not go beyond its limits. For example, the Narrows is the brink of the ocean. The ocean does not come on the other side of the Narrows. This is the example. When we have controlled the senses, we shall be just like the big ocean--although full with spiritual knowledge, calm and quiet without disturbing anyone, and without being disturbed. Peaceful.

In Bengal there are about five hundred rivers. All these rivers flow down water, to the ocean. But still, the ocean, the Bay of Bengal, is calm and quiet. Quiet. Similarly, for those who have become as full and as big as the ocean, material desires may come, but they are not disturbed. Although so many rivers are flowing down water, you won't see an inch of increase in the ocean. It keeps the same level. You can take any amount of water out of it, and you can pour any amount of water into it. The sea level is always the same. This example is given. Desires we must have. We cannot extinguish desires. It is foolishness to think that we can subdue desires. Desires are the symptoms of life. Let there be desires. If I have life and consciousness, then desire must also be there. Just as, when the water flows down from the rivers to the ocean, the ocean is not disturbed, so a person need not be disturbed by these desires. This is the art. This is the secret of the perfection of your life.

Desires may come, but if you are fixed with a proper understanding, you convert your desires. The whole process is to dovetail your desires with the Lord's. The example is that Arjuna desired not to fight, but after hearing Bhagavad Gita, his desire changed. He said, "Yes, I shall fight!" He desired to fight. So there was desire. The mode of desire was changed, that's all. Similarly, we cannot stop desiring. That is not possible. But we have to change the quality of the desire. That is all. It's not very difficult: I shall do this, I shall not do this. Bhagavad gita is meant to show us these things. Arjuna desired something before hearing Bhagavad Gita, and he desired something else after hearing Bhagavad Gita. The quality of desire changed. Similarly, by hearing the Gita you can change your desire. You don't have to stop your desire. You simply have to purify your desires. Then you'll not be disturbed by them. When your desires disturb you, you may know that you are not yet spiritually established. And when your desires enlighten you, enliven you, give you happiness--you may know that that desire is spiritual. Just as with Arjuna, the desire has to be changed.

Let desires be. Now, you can change the desires. Desire for Krishna. Don't desire for yourself. Desire for Krishna. How can I desire for Krishna? Take a practical example. Krishna came to this material world to call us; "My dear boys, please give up all your nonsensical engagements. Become a follower of Mine, and I shall protect you." This is Krishna's message. Now Bhagavad Gita is present, the message of Krishna. If you desire to preach this message of the Gita to the people of the world, that means you have changed your desire. And you can thereby purify yourself. There will be sufficient activities to execute the desire. But all those activities will be purified.

So, we don't have to stop our activities, nor our desires. But we have to dovetail them with the desires of the Lord, as Arjuna did. After dovetailing his desires with Sri Krishna's, his activities became more responsible. Just like a coward, he was refusing to fight. He was a Shatriya, a military man. His duty was to fight for a good cause. And what is a good cause? Sri Krishna instructed him to fight: "it is My plan." What can be a better cause than this? When the Supreme Personality of Godhead says that this is My wish, what can be more important? And what can be a better purpose, than one which is coming directly from the Supreme Personality of Godhead?

When we dovetail with the desire of the Supreme Lord, then our responsibility becomes more imperative, and we become more active than we are otherwise. In material activity you will get tired. This is the difference between material activity and spiritual activity. When you are engaged in spiritual activities, you'll not get tired. You have newer and newer strength to act. Therefore, desire is not to be stopped; activities are not to be stopped. Whatever potency you have in you, that is the potency given by the Supreme Lord, because you are the part and parcel of the Supreme Lord. Therefore, all the potencies that you have, they are also part and parcel of the Supreme Lord. And if you utilize them for the purposes of the Supreme Lord, then you become dovetailed with Him, and your life becomes successful. You'll not be disturbed by material desires, you'll attain peace. The peace for which you are hankering in life after life, moment after moment--that you'll get at that time, when your desires are purified, and dovetailed with the Lord. One who desires sense gratification, the enjoyment of material satisfaction, will never be happy. That is not possible. If you want peace, if you want happiness, if you want perfection in your life, then just begin to dovetail your desires, activities, and potentials with the Supreme Personality of Godhead. Then you will see what real happiness is, and can tell who is really crazy.

"It is not a fact that the Lord appears only on Indian soil. He can advent Himself anywhere and everywhere, and whenever He desires to appear. In each and every incarnation, He speaks as much about religion as can be understood by the particular people under their particular circumstances. But the mission is the same--to lead people to God consciousness and obedience to the principles of religion. Sometimes He descends personally, and sometimes He sends His bona fide representative in the form of His son, or servant, or Himself in some disguised form.

The principles of the Bhagavad-gita were spoken to Arjuna, and, for that matter, to other highly elevated persons, because he was highly advanced compared to ordinary persons in other parts of the world. Two plus two equals four is a mathematical principle that is true both in the beginner's arithmetic class and in the advanced class as well. Still, there are higher and lower mathematics. In all incarnations of the Lord, therefore, the same principles are taught, but they appear to be higher and lower in varied circumstances."(From Purport to Bhagavad-gita4.7 By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

The following is an excerpt from The Art of Spiritual Life by Jadurani dasi:

The two young men standing near me began speaking to each other. Their voices were friendly, and so I listened. One told the other, "Swamiji just said that when Godbrothers quarrel, it should be taken as clouds passing by-not very significant.What did that mean?" I wondered in disbelief. "There is so much fighting in the world-between countries, races, and even within my own family. Is it not inescapable? Is it actually possible?" (Leading To The First Meeting)

Despite differences in style,convictions and personality,as long as we keep Krsna and Srila Prabhupada in the center,everything will be very nice. Posted Image

Note:Just in case anyone reading this does not know,Jadurani dasi's The Art of Spiritual Life is avaliable online and can be found at the following URL:

http://www.gaudiya.net/art/

Bob: The devotees have said that the sensual pleasures they have given up are replaced with spiritual kinds of pleasures, but--see--I haven't felt this.

Srila Prabhupada: Spiritual pleasures come when you desire to please Krsna. That is spiritual pleasure. For example, a mother is more pleased by feeding her son. She's not eating, but when she sees that her son is eating very nicely, then she becomes pleased.

Bob: Hmm-m. Spiritual pleasure, then, is pleasing God.

Srila Prabhupada: Spiritual pleasure means the pleasure of Krsna.

Bob: Pleasing Krsna.

Srila Prabhupada: Yes. Material pleasure means the Pleasure of the senses. That's all. This is the difference. When you simply try to please Krsna, that is spiritual pleasure.

Bob: I had viewed this as--my thought of pleasing God was to--

Srila Prabhupada: Don't manufacture your ways of Pleasing God. Don't manufacture. Suppose I want to please you. Then I shall ask you, "How can I serve you?" Not that I manufacture some service. That is not pleasing. Suppose I want a glass of water. If you concoct the idea, "Svamiji will be more pleased if I give him a glass of milk, hot milk," that will not please me. If you want to please me, then you should ask me, "How can I Please you?" And if you do what I order, that will please me. (my italics)

Bob: And pleasing Krsna, then, is being a devotee of Krsna.

Srila Prabhupada: A devotee is one who is always pleasing Krsna. He has no other business. That is a devotee.(Perfect Questions,Perfect Answers By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Chapter Five:Becoming Pure)

"So one who is spreading Krsna-upadesa, simply repeat what is said by Krsna, then you become acarya. Not difficult at all. Everything is stated there. We have to simply repeat like parrot. Not exactly parrot. Parrot does not understand the meaning; he simply vibrates. But you should understand the meaning also; otherwise how you can explain?" (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,lecture, Mayapur, April 6, 1975)

'The yoga students were influenced by Prabhupada's lecture, so much so that they came by the next morning and joined the eleven of us waiting outside Prabhupada's house. On this fresh and mild morning we were all going to accompany Prabhupada on one of his regular walks. Damodara, who had now returned to Boston for his visit, and who liked to make videos, was lying down on the street beside a car, his camera poised for the door to open. When Prabhupada came out onto the porch and walked down the stairs, he said loudly, "Jayas tu pandu-putranam yesam pakse janardanah: 'Because Krsna was on the side of the Pandavas, they were victorious during the battle of Kuruksetra. So, if you keep 'Hare Krsna' on your side, you will always be victorious.'"

We all cheered, "Jaya!"

He first passed us by, and then, at the street curb, he turned to back to us and said, "We do not serve Krsna for any benefit. And even if there is no benefit, still we serve."

I'd been always looking for some return for my services, some remuneration, even if only a smile from Prabhupada or some praise from my god-brothers and god-sisters.

"We only serve Krsna to make Him happy," Prabhupada added and then told the yoga students, "You don't have to look very far to see Krsna, just like you don't have to look very far to see the sky. The sky is after all everywhere. Similarly, Krsna is everywhere-and He is canvassing you."

He walked so briskly that we practically had to run to keep up with him. I could scarcely believe that he was so easily outpacing us twenty-year-olds.' (The Art of Spiritual Life By Jadurani dasi,1968,Twiceborn)

"It is not a fact that the Lord appears only on Indian soil. He can advent Himself anywhere and everywhere, and whenever He desires to appear. In each and every incarnation, He speaks as much about religion as can be understood by the particular people under their particular circumstances. But the mission is the same--to lead people to God consciousness and obedience to the principles of religion. Sometimes He descends personally, and sometimes He sends His bona fide representative in the form of His son, or servant, or Himself in some disguised form.

The principles of the Bhagavad-gita were spoken to Arjuna, and, for that matter, to other highly elevated persons, because he was highly advanced compared to ordinary persons in other parts of the world. Two plus two equals four is a mathematical principle that is true both in the beginner's arithmetic class and in the advanced class as well. Still, there are higher and lower mathematics. In all incarnations of the Lord, therefore, the same principles are taught, but they appear to be higher and lower in varied circumstances." (From Purport to Bhagavad-gita 4.7 By His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada)

"Another process is, save time, if you chant Hare Krsna mantra, then the time is not lost. Time is not lost. Hare Krsna mantra, read book, Krsna book. Any moment, any time you spend for thinking of Krsna, working for Krsna, chanting for Krsna, eating for Krsna, dancing for Krsna, that time is saved. That time is saved. Therefore it is recommended, harer nama harer nama harer namaiva kevalam, kalau nasty eva nasty eva... Otherwise, by yoga process, it is not... How many men can actually practice yoga? It is all farce. This is possible. Even a child can take part, Hare Krsna mantra. (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,740120SB.HAW Lectures)

"The beginning is God consciousness, but we have lost it. So people cannot be happy without reviving God consciousness. It may be named in a different way--"Krsna consciousness." That means God consciousness. That is the necessity. He's trying to love somebody. That somebody's love will be perfected when he loves Krsna or God. We are teaching that. Try to love God, and if you love God, if you love Krsna, then automatically you love everybody. That is the perfection of love. The example is just like if you love your stomach, if you supply nice food to your stomach, that means you love all the parts of your body. If you supply foodstuff in the stomach, the energy is distributed in all parts of the body. That means you love all parts of the body. If you love the tree, you pour water on the root and the water is distributed to the branches, fruits, flowers, leaves, everywhere." (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,681202SB.LA Lectures)

"Generally people are spoiling their lives for decorating the dead body and giving no attention at all to the spirit soul within. Our business is just the opposite, to give more time to the spiritual life and accept material necessities only as required. This makes life perfect. This is the Vedic way of life. We do not reject or accept anything until it is seen in the light of our Krsna Consciousness Movement. Anything favorable for Krsna consciousness we accept and anything unfavorable we reject, anukulasya sankalpah pratikulyam-vivarjanam." (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivdedanta Swami Prabhupada, in a letter to Tusta Krsna Maharaja,23 August, 1976)

30 PRABHUPADA TELLS A STORY

When Prabhupada's edition of Caitanya-caritamrta, Madhya-lila Volume 1, was first published, devotees were surprised and pleased to read about the humorous joking between Lord Nityananda and Advaita Acarya during the taking of prasadam at Advaita Acarya's house. One morning, during a car ride with Srila Prabhupada, one of the devotees expressed his appreciation for the new volume.

"There is such nice humour in the Caitanya-caritamrta, Srila Prabhupada."

"Yes", said Srila Prabhupada, "spiritual life is humour also. Then he began to tell a story. "Krsna said to one old lady, 'You are so ugly, you should marry a monkey.'

"'No', said the old lady, 'I have given up all material desires. I will marry you, Krsna!'

"'Yes! Yes! Yes!' All the gopis and boys clapped and laughed."

While Prabhupada said this, his eyes lit up and he became very animated, laughing at the humorous pastimes of Krsna. "So Krsna was defeated," said Srila Prabhupada, "by that laughing of the gopis." (PRABHUPADA NECTAR --- stories about Srila Prabhupada

told by disciples,by Satsvarupa dasa Gosvami)

Note:PRABHUPADA NECTAR can be read online at http://web.tiscali.it/gopala/Prabhupada_Nectar/

"In the Naradiya Purana it is directed, "One should not accept more than necessary if he is serious about discharging devotional service." The purport is that one should not neglect following the principles of devotional service, nor should one accept the rulings of devotional service which are more than what he can easily perform. For example, it may be said that one should chant the Hare Krsna mantra at least one hundred thousand times daily on his beads. But if this is not possible, then one must minimize his chanting according to his own capacity. Generally, we recommend our disciples to chant at least sixteen rounds on their japa beads daily, and this should be completed. But if one is not even able to chant sixteen rounds, then he must make it up the next day. He must be sure to keep his vow. If he does not strictly follow this out, then he is sure to be negligent. That is offensive in the service of the Lord. If we encourage offenses, we shall not be able to make progress in devotional service. It is better if one fixes up a regulative principle according to his own ability and then follows that vow without fail. That will make him advanced in spiritual life."(Nectar of Devotionby His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada,Chapter 7)

"But Srimad-Bhagavatam should be relished, understood through person Bhagavatam. It is recommendation. Svarupa Damodara Caitanya Mahaprabhu's secretary, personal secretary, he chastised one brahmana. He wrote something wrong, and after all, he gave him advice that if you want to study Bhagavata, then bhagavata paro giya bhagavata sthane, try to understand Srimad Bhagavatam from a devotee, not from a professional man who is earning his livelihood by reading Bhagavata. He must be practical Bhagavata. Then you will gain. Sanatana Gosvanu has also said that avaisnava chad girna puta-hari-kathamrtam. Hari-katha, amrta, nectar, but still, although it is amrta, it is not to be recieved from the mouth of a non-devotee. One must he practical devotee, pure devotee. When he speaks, you should receive Bhagavata, the message of Bhagavata, Bhagavad-gita from him.” (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Srimad Bhagavtam Lecture, 1.2.18 Vrndavana 29th October, 1972)

Devotee: (1): ''The Lord therefore says to Arjuna, tac chrnu, or 'Hear from Me."'

Prabhupada: Yes. 'Hear from Me. " And hearing from whom? From a loafer? No. From Krsna or Krsna's representative. That will effect. Hearing, there must be hearing process also from the authorized person. Just like if you take electricity. You should take electricity where the electric point is there. Electric is everywhere; that's nice. Everyone accepts there is electricity. But you have to take electricity from the plug where the electricity current is going on. Then you get electricity. Therefore sravanam, hearing, from whom? From Krsna or His representative. Then it is perfect. Not from Dr. Radhakrishnan and any other nonsense, because they are not devotee. They are not representative of Krsna. What you will derive? You cannot derive any benefit because there is no electricity. It is simply plug, looking like plug. If you take some white lime water, lime, just like whitewash, it looks like milk. Is that milk because it is white? ''All is not gold that glitters." Therefore you have to seek person, from where you have to hear. Tad-vijnanartham sa gurum evabhigacchet. Therefore you have to select person, from where to hear. That is the .. Either you search or by Krsna's grace you get a person who is authorized. Then your life is successful.” (His Divine Grace A.C Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, Bhagavad Gita Lecture 7.1, Los Angeles, 12th March, 1970)