IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Why is it sinful to drink coffee?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I really want to go back to Godhead but I really do like coffee and so I was wondering why is it sinful to drink coffee since its a plant.

Guest guest

It's not sinful to drink coffee.

It's juat that coffe has cafine which can affect your consciousness in a negative way and also it's adictive. So you should avoid it, if possible.

But if you can't, then try slowly to give it up. If you still can't then don't worry, as long as you chant and read vedic scriptures.

Cafine is also bad for the body. Headaches are often caused by pollutants in the body like cafine.

Guest guest

moderate amounts of caffeine have been proven to be healthy.

As for the drinking coffee, i feel that it's not a bad thing. Do you have to kill any innocent animals to obtain coffee?....NO....so go ahead and drink it once in a while.

as for alcohol....it can seriously affect you in a negative way, so it should not be allowed.

Guest guest

Coffee has calf in it but there is now decalf coffee available which is without the calf and so that is vedic.

Guest guest

If you all think its not Vedic to drink coffee, then start giving up these things too:

vrntakam jalisakam kusumbha smantakam tatha

palandu lasunam suklam niryasan caiva varjayet

grjanam kinsukan caiva kukundanca tathaiva ca

udumbaram alavun ca jagdhva patati vai dvijah

(Hari Bhakti Vilasa 8.158,159, from Kurma Purana)

One should not eat eggplant, banana leaves, sunflower leaves and asmantaka leaves, onions, garlic. One should not eat sour gruel (a thin watery pouriage) or the juice of the tree. One should also give up turnips and beetroots, carrots, kinsuka, forest figs, and white pumpkin. If the twice born persons eat these things, they all become fallen.

Guest guest

Often that is said, particulaly in India, that by the way of the material modes of nature mushrooms caps sprung out of ignorance, and often can be seen this way sprangin and growin out of cow dung.. It is said sort to have conection of bein pure somehow because of the COW enviroment and thing..

i have been seeing through out the spiritual research and also concerin the GOin Back to GodHead ´programe´, some natural substances are been used this way to conect te soul to beyond some-power or ´purification´ expiriences, way we call to some practitioners and sacrificial fires along this conciouss roads, i will like to ask about the Mushrooms, I have known about the Magic Mushroom, and concernin the Brahmacarya code of conduct that is also not recomemded.

Bwell, So that i think what will be the result of having this kind of expirience to aproach in this way i have heard also of people sharing elevated versions of knowledge talkin with mother cows and out of revelation.

Have you heard something?

What kind of aproach a Krsna conciouss person could have?

If this is being so often it would couse damage and intoxication in a mariginal stance of it, as it is said with the vedic reference to coffee, one can do so without remorse sort to expirience something else..

In BG it is explained in reference to the food and to the Faith chapter 17, that maybe so that the expirience is lived-out within some Dream plane and somnolence.

how could be so..

Thank you

In Advance

Guest guest

I was talking to spirit about this, and you are right. Caffine is bad for the body and does also cause headaches,and any drink that contains caffine including the kids favourite COKE, has a terrible effect on the stomach as it kills the cells in there,but it is not sinful. It is just another choice we must all make when we are ready

Guest guest

oh no, now i have to give up drinking the juice from a tree!!

lol

dude, who asked question about coffee, if you love coffee, drink it, as long as you chant Hare Krsna everyday, then, eventually, you will not drink coffee, you will actually not like coffee anymore, of this, there is no doubt /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Guest guest

I agree.....just stay away form eggs, meat, and fish. Drink coffee moderately and keep chanting.

Guest guest

If you really wanted to go back to Godhead, why would you want to drink coffee? Obviously you don't really want to go back.

But that you're concerned is good. On most any scale, just drinking coffee isn't the worst thing. Most of us do far “worse”. But it's a thing. Most coffee is around 97% caffeine free, taking out 2 more percent brings it down to 99%. Not that they take 99% of the caffeine. Which would be a negligible amount of caffeine. If that was what they did.

So why stop at coffee?

Why not drink near-beer too? It's only 1 proof after all. You'd have to drink 3 or 4 to have the same alcohol content as one regular beer. If course, if you're going to drink 3 or 4, it's much cheaper and more efficient to drink one regular beer.

Rather than a few regular beers, hard liquor really would be better. Or in fact, pot is more natural. Judicious use of LSD can give you a lot of realizations.

Heroin, if used carefully, isn't too debilitating and's a lot of fun. Opiates are great! (Clapton is god!)

Or just keep the threshold at zero. Stop everything. No equivocation.

Guest guest

Though I like your idea of zero treshold, and I think it would work for me, I don't think it would have a positive effect on everybody. Some people are more prone to addiction than others so alas we cannot generalize on this subject. Not everybody who used drugs is falling back and becomes a harddrug addict.Similarly, not everybody is as eager to go back to Godhead as you or me and so they keep on their old habits whilst performing some bhakti now and then gaining a little bit by bit. I don't like that attitude either but I can't criticize them because if they chant the names of the Lord they are considered to be devotees.

Anyway, Fact is that coffee is intoxication, which makes it an illicit substance for devotees. That is the reason why coffee is not allowed in KC,nevermind the fact that it makes your breath stink horribly, especially when combined with smoking(they usually go hand in hand)!

As for health issues there are mixed reports but common sense says that caffeine is simply bad for the heart:

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/health/a/healthheart.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3759948.stm

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=16343

http://www.mercola.com/2003/dec/10/coffee.htm

Like smoking, it has become commonly accepted as normal because "Everybody does it" while it is actually uncommon for a human body to have this sort of intake.

Haribol!

Guest guest

It's an offense to chant the holy names and knowingly commit offense. How can you expect to be purified when you commit offenses on purpose?

Haribol,

you wrote :

vrntakam jalisakam kusumbha smantakam tatha

palandu lasunam suklam niryasan caiva varjayet

grjanam kinsukan caiva kukundanca tathaiva ca

udumbaram alavun ca jagdhva patati vai dvijah

(Hari Bhakti Vilasa 8.158,159, from Kurma Purana)

One should not eat eggplant, banana leaves, sunflower leaves and asmantaka leaves, onions, garlic. One should not eat sour gruel (a thin watery pouriage) or the juice of the tree. One should also give up turnips and beetroots, carrots, kinsuka, forest figs, and white pumpkin. If the twice born persons eat these things, they all become fallen.

They all become fallen!! In the tempels the do cook with carrots, beetroot, and eggplant, and in a verry nice way:D So how come? do they just dont know?

If you Protect a Cow for Srila Prabhupada and Govinda as they Advocated, and then you got nice Cream from that Protected Cow, and put it in the Coffee, then you would be doing something positive for Prabhupada and Krishna. So they would be pleased w/you, and bless you that you do not need that coffee, and the taste would be less, you would give it up. So Protectacow for Prabhupada and Krishna today! It is so purifying, and recommended too!