IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mark

Karma Question

Rate this topic

Hare Krishna

I have read on other websites that 'bad' karma can be accumulated just by thinking bad thoughts, but in Srimad Bhagavatm canto 1 chp 18 txt7 Purports, Srila Prabhupada

states that in the age of Kali a bad thought does not count as a sin:

"Mahäräja Parékñit was a realist, like the bees who only accept the essence [of a flower]. He knew perfectly well that in this age of Kali, auspicious things produce good effects immediately, whereas inauspicious acts must be actually performed [to render effects]. So he was never envious of the personality of Kali.

PURPORT

The age of Kali is called the fallen age. In this fallen age, because the living beings are in an awkward position, the Supreme Lord has given some special facilities to them. So by the will of the Lord, a living being does not become a victim of a sinful act until the act is actually performed. In other ages, simply by thinking of performing a sinful act, one used to become a victim of the act. On the contrary, a living being in this age is awarded with the results of pious acts simply by thinking of them."

I take it Srimad Bhagavatam/Srila Prabupada are correct and the comments to the contrary are not?

Its obviously not a good thing to think bad things, as it could lead to bad actions at some point, but for fallen people such as myself it came as some relief to read this in the Srimad Bhagavatam, especially about being awarded the results of pious thoughts even if they were not enacted.

Lord Krishna is incredibly merciful to us!

Haribol & AGSTP!

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

Do the laws of science change with time?

No.

The law of karma applies in all Yugas for all humans, it doesn't change with time or Yuga. This is my understanding.

Thus a bad thought is bad karma and the result will be a bad reaction. Thoughts are prelude to the future action. This means that if you have bad thoughts, then you will most likely enforce them in the future.

Food that smells good will force us to taste it.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna!

All glories to Srila Prabhupada! I offer my humble obeisance unto him!

"Do the laws of science change with time?No.The law of karma applies in all Yugas for all humans, it doesn't change with time or Yuga. This is my understanding.

Thus a bad thought is bad karma and the result will be a bad reaction. Thoughts are prelude to the future action. This means that if you have bad thoughts, then you will most likely enforce them in the future.Food that smells good will force us to taste it."

I am not advanced enough to comment on law of karma, and so I will follow and accept what Mark has written stating Srila Prabhupada's statement of Srimad Bhagavatam which means the post above me is wrong.

Actually, there are evidences given in the puranas and Upanishads about how if you only think about good deeds in this Kali, you will be rewarded. So, there is nothing to speculate.

It is all part of God's master plan to alter the rules a bit as per the different ages. One of them is, simply chanting the Mahamantra in this yuga, we can see Krishna, while the other yugas had different rules to approach the Lord. So, it is equally possible for God to be lenient on the law of Karma for this age...why not?

Haribol!

anand

Guest guest

Hare Krsna!

Since the mind is so hard to control, when you have a bad thought immediately perform some devotional service, chant, and/or sing a devotional prayer for help. If you still get bad karma from a bad thought, so be it, at least now you are on the right path. From what I understand, Krsna will help you control your mind when He sees that you are constantly trying to help yourself. Chant Hare Krsna there is no other way! Try not to worry so much, just try to stay on the path!

Guest guest

Karma is very complicated, and when u combine it with the mind, then its even more intricate. The subtleties of the Law of karma does change thro time. In satya yuga, things were stricter because the age was so pure. As time progresses, the ages become more degraded, so the Lord makes concessions.

Especially in this age, Lord Caitanya is so merciful, He just asks us to chant Hare Krsna and we can be delivered to the highest planet, even higher than in previous ages. If a bad thought comes, it does affect us if we linger/meditate on it...the secret is to distract the mind away from that thought. It may take practice and a lot of praying, but as our friend previously said, it makes us advance quicker.

Prabhupada said make the best use of a bad bargain.

Gauranga!

Guest guest

Its more like a case of habitually having bad thoughts and doing bad deeds will change your personality to that of a bad person .so be careful.dont judge yourself though just notice the inclination and Let Go.be happy.