IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
SpiritWithin

Anti-dep withdrawal some other probs...'

Rate this topic

hiya

I am new to this website and would like some help, insight or advice on my problems how to overcome them with Krishna...

I am trying to get off Effexor, and the doctor has given me antihistamines to help with the symptoms...I have also put on about five stone with being on these and feel bloated and just out of shape....

As well as this I am also slowly stopping painkillers which I admit I have a problem with...I am lonely not a lot of friends and those that I do have just become involved in their own lives....I am not a heroin addict so do not think of me as being a down and out as I live alone and have a nice home but my loneliness and shyness blocks me meeting others...I have nice things around me but they do not take away the loneliness....this feeling of unhappiness.....and it does not come from material things the unhappiness more from within...do any of you have any advice to help me through beating this addiction....if I chanted what would I chant...?

Thank you

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

Visit www.gitamrta.org/bg.htm and listen to the Bhagavad-gita and also chant the following mantra:

Hare Krishna Hare Krishna

Krishna Krishna

Hare Hare

Hare Rama Hare Rama

Rama Rama

Hare Hare

I am sure this will help you overcome depression, loneliness, and bad habits.

Guest guest

Hare Krishna.

It has been scientifically proven that vibrations stimulates the brain which helps the brain and also chanting Gods names purifies one from all polutants.

The Bhagavad-gita is the conversation between man and God, it's very interesting to hear what questions are asked by Arjuna and the answers from God. The BG recording also has excellent background music which will calm your mind.

Hi and welcome to this board,

I think the most effective method for you, judging from your post, would be to go to a temple or a meeting nearby where devotees come together. There's really no need to be shy, as these people are just about the most open,forthcoming, non-judgemental and friendly people you can bump into, and best of all, they don't expect anything of you. They are simply satisfied by your interest in Krishna. Chanting is the only way, but when you're depressed, chanting alone on the japa beads will most likely be less effective for you in terms of lifting spirits (obviously it is always most effective), as it may feel a little dry for the neophyte and requires a significant amount of focus.

So rather, for you, I'd say there is nothing like a kirtan to instantly lift your spirits, and you'll soon find that you'll want to join in singing, dancing and making music when the kirtan/bhajan at the temple/meeting commences.

And I can tell, because I always saw myself as the most rigid anti-dance person around, and yet found myself incapable of sitting still or not feeling the least bit of extasy when surrounded by the transcendental sound coming from the devotee's kirtans. It's no problem if you don't know the lyrics, you can ask a songbook or simply just soak it in and inhale the atmosphere there. It is guaranteed to lift you up. Not only that, but you will soon make significant spiritual progress, if of course you follow with sincerity. All it takes for you is to go there and knock on the door, and you shall be welcome to join at no cost! If you're scared to go, just see it as going to visit a real doctor who has a guaranteed working prescription for you /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Hope it has been of help!

Haribol!

Guest guest

I agree with all of this post. I have experience with depression and how Chanting can change your life. I was on anti-depressants for almost 3 years and saw no hope of stopping. Then I started coming to the temple and chanting and engaging in a little service. By chanting and doing service, I was able to stop taking the meds. and after 2 years I am still off of them. Chanting the names of god gives you a feeling of happiness and fulfillment like nothing else. It sounds silly, but it is SO powerful! I remember leaving Sunday feast when I first started coming to the temple, with the highest feeling. It lasted all week! Nothing in my life had ever felt so "right".

So, I also suggest you go to a temple and find out when they have a program, and see how it feels. Sunday feast, if a temple nearby has that, is a nice one, because a lot of people are coming for the first time. Do you live near a Hare Krishna Temple?

Hare Krishna!