IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
mark

Leather

Rate this topic

Haribol

Could anyone say what are the vedic views of wearing leather ?

Since becoming interested in K.C, and becoming vegatarian

I have not purchased any leather goods, but am still wearing leather belt / shoes that I bought in previous years.

I have managed to find a website in the UK that sells 'veggie' shoes/belts, and so will buy replacememnt items from there when I need them.

In the mean time is it ok to carry on wearing these old leather items of shoes/belts ?

I feel a bit guilty about wearing them.

I guess real Vaishanavas would not wear any leather?

Mark

Hare Krishna.

This is a very important issue, one that most Hindus and some hare krishnas overlook.

Leather is generally made from cows.

I know many Hindus who are vegetarian but have leather sofas, car seats, jackets etc..

We should not kill cows and thus we should not buy leather, it's that simple. But we are all guilty in some ways because we buy leather belts and shoes. We should avoid these where possible.

Sometimes it's not possible to buy non-leather belts and shoes, so we can buy leather belts and shoes and maybe Lord krishna will forgive us, but there is absolutely no excuse to buy leather sofas, leather car seats and leather jackets.

NO LEATHER CAR SEATS

NO LEATHER SOFAS

NO LEATHER JACKETS

NO LEATHER WALLETS

actually there are plenty of leatherfree shoeshops available nowadays. Just recently I ordered a 2 pair of "vegetarian shoes" from mooshoes.com, gotta tell ya feels good and fits good too. At least now I don't feel like a hypocrite when I speak to people about vegetarianism while wearing my leatherfree shoes!

Haribol!