IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

The Role of Competition in Sanatan Dharma

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jai Shree Krishna,

In today's market-based economy, our societal reality, there is dire pressure to compete. We are encouraged to defeat our classmates by acquiring more marks, our colleagues at work by getting promotions faster, and our business competitors by capturing markets faster and maximizing profits. We are expected to set high goals and achieve them - and are praised for it.

That said, sometimes I tend to feel guilty expending great effort and going to great lengths to be number one, knowing that I want the others I'm competing against to rank lower. Sometimes I foolishly think, "Why can't everyone be #1 - so we don't have to scramble for resources and recognition as we do?" - then I recognize that this is not reality, and, at face value, everyone does not have the same ability or motivation to achieve.

My question is: how are competition and ambition viewed in our culture? I know that in the "Mahabharat", Arjun, Eklavya, and Karan all hoped for the status of 'Best Archer in the world'. So, is it encouraged - or even glorified? Or is it discouraged - saying that ambition is a form of desire, which is a cause for our trouble to begin with?

This question is very confusing to me, and I'd appreciate any views on it.

Dhanyawaad

Harekrishna Prabhus,

I am not qualified enough to answer your query. However as no one has answered I will make an attempt. Pls excuse me if hurt any of your sentiments or feelings in the process.

In general material word competition is inevitable. At the same time no man can live without any ambitions. So both seem natural. However that is a common man's perspective.

For a devotee his life is centred around Krishna and so the word "Krishna Conscious", like how we say "Man...this lady is too beauty conscious...or oh God that guy is too diet conscious or fat conscious and so on" meaning..whatever they might be doing but they have always their intentions very clear in the back of their mind.

Similarly a devotee is Krishna Conscious meaning his life centred around Krishna. That is cultivating Bhakti towards Krishna and serving him is the primary goal and all others are secondary. But for a common man even a religious man his Life, Job , family may be important and Krisha or God also may be on his list but this is quite different from what the so called being Krishna conscious is.

So to answer your question a devotee should continue to lead his Life of Bhakti according to his eligibility. Depending on our purva smaskaras and current association and our intensity in Bhakti we may involve in some kind of Karmas. But a devotee being in family Life and a Karmi being in family life may be much different though outwardly they may look same. So to have passion for individual reputation, earn money, beat the competition may be Rajasic in nature. So a devotee would never yearn to cultivate them. Having said that however as part of his karma while being Krishna centric he may naturally dominate others in a given situation or compete with some one and may emerge winner. But his concern is of not being winning or competing but being Krishna centric consistently irrespective of his exterior karmas.

So Arjuna is no favourite among devotees and vaishnavas for his valour or because he is expert in archery. He is highly regarded as he just surrendered to Krishna which is what the most intelligent people do. There may be many characters in Mahabharata but how many of them are really surrendered to Lord Krishna and realized that he is Svayam Bhagavan is what is more important.

I am not sure how far I am able to drive the point home. That is the reason why sastras advice one to enquire an advanced Vaishnava to begin our spirtual Journey and associate with him.

ys

-Sashi

Hare Krishna and dandavats

Srila Prabhupada deals with this point quite bluntly here http://www.prabhupada.org.uk/sp_expose/what_kc/human.htm.

There is material competition and there is spiritual competition. Since our aim is to be situated on the spiritual platform the former has to be avoided while the latter is sublime and difficult to understand. As sashin prabhu has said, we cannot compare to Arjun who was a pure devotee and shouldn't try to base judgements or philosophy on the behaviour of such powerful personalities. As with other things material, the desire for material aims in the form of ambition or by competing with others has to be given up to rise above the material platform. When the centre point of our occupation, whatever that may be, and all our activities (physical or mental) is Krishna then also there is competition in trying to serve Him but being on the spiritual platform it is free from any blemish, rather it is most pleasing and increases our devotion.