IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Question about japa beads

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Well right now I can't find any actual japa beads, so I did some DIY on a beaded necklace and marked off where 108 would be(silly I know). But my question was, is it possible and would it be ok to make your own japa beads?

Guest guest

I'am pretty sure that you are permitted to make your own japa beads, but their is some guideline you must follow, and i'am pretty sure they have to be tulsai beads.

If you really want to attempt it, go for it.

Hari Bol

P.S. Good Luck! Hare Krishna

Guest guest

it is perfectly ok

when you'll be in a temple or you'll have the possibility buy a tulasi japa mala

but for now there's no problem, chant hare krishna counting with your necklace... you are perfectly ortodox

it is the number who counts.. the object you use for count the number of mahamantras you are chanting is not important

Guest guest

yes, it's fine. i used to, due to family probs and restricting me from chanting Hare Krishna, chant counting on a calc. i have a ti-83 plus calc, so i got it to show me the maha mantra as i pressed enter and it counted how many rounds i did and how many mantras i did. so it's fine, what's more important is your sincerity to serve Lord Krishna, and if you are truly sincere, Krishna will arrange for everything for perfection in devotional service for you.

just keep faith and sincerity, and humbleness also. let Krishna do the the rest but don't order Him "do this, do that"; let Him do as He likes, He's got better control than we do.

Jai Sri Radha Krsna

Guest guest

We chant a certain number of rounds by the order of the guru for consistency of practice and surrender. But remember, it is chanting not counting. Japa is an exercise of the heart. The minute it becomes a matter of counting it is no longer effective. Another definition for "maya" is 'to count'. So don't count... chant..aand do this with your whole heart. This is the Yoga of Bhakti. Give your heart to Krsna. If you want to chant on a string with knots...thats OK. In fact...this is what Mahaprabhu chanted on Chaitanya Caritamrta tells us. What you use does not really matter. Although one must be careful chanting on Tulsi. Without a guru one can commit offenses to Vrinda devi. With a guru, he carries those burdons for us. So we should be careful. For uninitiated devotees my guru recommends sandalwood.