IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Translations, And Edits, And Changes

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Translations, and edits, and changes, oh my!

(Disclaimer: these are not my opinions, but rather some thoughts and ideas that I have stumbled upon in my wanderings)

I usually try not to read about the uproars because I suffer greatly when I do, due to a weakness of heart and stomach, and a lack of spiritual resolve and conviction. The few who know me will attest that I am as far from being a ksatriya or a brahmana on these issues as I am from being a master of English linguistics and grammar. Instead I usually choose to leave all that skirmishing to the awe-inspiring number of suitably armored generals that seem to proliferate in abundance with every issue that arises - waging defense measures throughout this humble preaching mission.

At the risk of sounding like I am taking sides, I am not - if I may be so bold, though, as to play the devil's advocate to both sides just for a moment; perhaps we can see beyond the obvious ( Bhur, our mere perceptual reality ) and allow the truth on this subject to be revealed from within each of us so that each can draw his/her own conclusion.

On the one hand, it is painfully obvious that the very arguments that are being pressed against the 'book changes' done by Jayadvaita Maharaja Prabhu, also happen to dangerously argue and insinuate that all translations which have been made into other languages might be imperfect interpretations and/or bogus translations of Srila Prabhupada's works. Had we lobbied this point every time a new culture wanted to disseminate Srila Prabhupada's books in their native language, we would have been accused of being utterly absurd and ridiculous. No? I can assure you from reading the Spanish books that a large number of those same infamous but much needed edits, and more, were addressed in the Spanish translations in order to accommodate cultural, rhetorical, and dialectical bias. Are we ready to accept that Krsna consciousness, which is primarily a Sanskrit and Bengali philosophical treatise, can only be spread in the western world via the English language, and from only one edition? Someone might suggest this very point to be ecclesiastical, dogmatic, and typically sectarian

I too have some questions and doubts as to some of the changes made to Srila Prabhupada's books, yet have never been able to fully justify making negative judgment on the various international language translations and/or the English edits, since they appear to all still be making devotees all over the world in several languages, including English. The verse comes to mind: ishvara sarva bhutanam | hrd-deshe 'rjuna tishtati | brahmayan sarva-bhutany - within the heart of all living entities directing all their wanderings. Let's face it, at some point we all differed in our analysis of even the original books, and to some degree we read into and have read between the lines based on our various subjective relationships with the world. That is an irrevocable human social nature, and is the very reason why we are supposed to read together. Still we are all chanting the same mantra in all these different countries.

Additionally, these various BBT translations and edited English books are being distributed, therefore endorsed, in a number of Maths outside of ISKCON, which are headed by some men that are deemed exalted personalities in the Vaishnava community.

We must also consider the remote possibility that the strong language being used against Jayadvaita Maharaja Prabhu in public forums, or any anxiety caused to him in this regard, may incidentally not be justifiably free of offense when weighed against the questionable, and yet to be determined, variables involved. Perhaps we need to be careful.

On the other hand, it may possibly be true in these trouble times of controversy that all reasonable Vaishnavas (and gurus ) should prioritize the diffusing of any and all controversy that surrounds them,over 'being right ', or more knowledgeable, or more advanced -by digressing, compromising, possibly redoing, restating, reprinting, etc., etc., etc. Who knows, it might very well be that where we went wrong was in not taking advice on some questionable issues (perhaps through votes) from the thousands, the community at large, whom have been chanting Hare Krsna and reading Srila Prabhupada's books for more than thirty years. This might have, and still could have, a harmonizing effect to more successfully spread Lord Chaitanyas's movement in the mood of ' getting along when I am gone '.

As human nature dictates, the lack of voting power makes boisterous generals of us all, in any situation. Sravanam, alternatively, being our first and most important duty in this Bhakti yoga, rather insists that we listen to each other, learn from each other and compromise where possible for the sake of peace and congregational kirtanam - that by the combination of those two we can actually realize harmonious Vishnu smaranam.

Just like the integrity of a machine needs to be maintained and lubricated in order to not lose any of its parts for optimum performance, and as the integrity of a social structure or club is diplomatically massaged and its needs addressed in order to keep all its members, a social structure such as ISKCON needs to maintain its integrity with its members on issues that are at best questionable by listening to the congregation, at least to some pacifying degree. Perhaps it is time that a third edition of the Bhagavad Gita be on order, with only the gross grammatical needs, typos, and paste-up errors addressed, leaving the original wording intact. This could make for opening some doors that have been closed for such a long time, and possibly put this issue to rest on the balance of the books.

Just perhaps...

(Disclaimer: these are not my opinions, but rather some thoughts and ideas that I have stumbled upon in my wanderings)

Your servant,

Yadunandana . dasa ACBSP

YaduNandanaPada@aol.com