IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

'Cow Protection' - Not 'Cattle Raising'

Rate this topic

Guest guest

BHAGAVAD-GITA: "Cow Protection" - Not "Cattle Raising"

When Dravinaksa Prabhu uses the expression "Open A Case Of Nectar" when he talks about opening a case of Prabhupada's original Bhagavad-gita's, I can understand what he means. All the poetic language is there, along with all the bhakti-saturated impressionistic illustrations so beloved by Srila Prabhupada as "windows to the spiritual world."

But there is one crucial change that Prabhupada stated that he wanted made on numerous occasions. That is in Bg 18.44.

The translation in the book reads:

"Farming, cattle raising and business are the qualities of work for the vaisyas…"

Srila Prabhupada wanted that changed to read:

"Farming, cow protection and business are the qualities of work for the vaisyas…"

So before anyone distributes these Gita's, they should make that change. Use an ink pen if necessary, or make some neatly printed labels to cover the mistranslation in the book.

Srila Prabhupada was much more emphatic about the importance of cow protection than most modern swamis - whether inside or outside ISKCON.

For example, you'll rarely hear them state that comfort of the cows is more important than comfort of the brahmanas - but Srila Prabhupada makes that statement in the Bhagavatam:

For the cowherd men and the cows, Krsna is the supreme friend. Therefore He is worshiped by the prayer namo brahmanya-devaya go-brahmana-hitaya ca. His pastimes in Gokula, His dhama, are always favorable to the brahmanas and the cows. His first business is to give all comfort to the cows and the brahmanas. In fact, comfort for the brahmanas is secondary, and comfort for the cows is His first concern.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => SB 10.8.16

In the first canto of the Bhagavatam, Srila Prabhupada refers to cow protection as one of the two "pillars of spiritual advancement." Prabhupada is not making a concoction when he emphasizes the importance of cow protection in Krsna consciousness. On the contrary, the importance of cow protection to Krsna is actually the very first word of spiritual instruction that we obtain from Lord Brahma, who is the founder of our sampradaya millions of years ago: "Govindam adi purusam" meaning "Lord Krsna, the Pleaser of the Cows, is the Original Person." Therefore we sing this prayer to the Deities every day. Also, Srila Prabhupada is practically the only swami to point out the fact that real cow protection must include working the oxen.

On the other hand, in ISKCON we see numerous examples of leaders who minimized the importance of cow protection as a necessity for spiritual progress. Sannyasis like Kirtanananda, Jagadish and Harikesa who at one time became powerful members of ISKCON's GBC all had serious shortcomings in the matter of cow protection. From our perspective, it's difficult to say exactly what relationship this had to their subsequent falldown, but it is certainly worth noting. And there are other sannyasi leaders in today's GBC who have never even read the Ministry of Cow Protection and Agriculture's MINIMUM STANDARDS FOR COW PROTECTION. Obviously, we have to be concerned about their spiritual standing as well.

Thus, for reasons like these, I urge anyone who uses the old Bhagavad gita to please make that one change which Srila Prabhupada requested on numerous occasions. If you like, you may insert a slip of paper with the passages below to authenticate the change and demonstrate that this is not an arbitrary revision, but one which was repeatedly requested by His Divine Grace.

Tamala Krsna:

krsi-goraksya-vanijyam

vaisya-karma svabhava-jam

paricaryatmakam karma

sudrasyapi svabhava-jam

[bg 18.44]

"Farming, cattle raising and business are the qualities..."

Prabhupada: They are not cattle raising, that was...

Tamala Krsna: Cow protection.

Prabhupada: Cow protection. It has to be corrected. It is go-raksya, go. They take it cattle-raising. I think Hayagriva has translated like this.

Tamala Krsna: Hayagriva.

Prabhupada: No, it is especially mentioned go-raksya.

Krsi-go-raksya-vanijyam vaisya-karma svabhava-jam [bg. 18.44]. And then...?

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Room Conversation with the Mayor of Evanston -- July 4, 1975, Chicago

Prabhupada: That is fourth-class. First of all, third-class.

Nitai: Third-class: "Farming, cattle raising and business are the qualities of work for the vaisyas,..."

Prabhupada: Not cattle raising, cow protection.

Nitai: Cow protection.

Prabhupada: Yes. Farming and cow protection and trade, this is meant for the third-class division. And worker, fourth-class. These divisions must be there. Then the society will go on very nicely.

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Television Interview -- July 9, 1975, Chicago

Prabhupada: One thing immediately inform Ramesvara. In the Bhagavad-gita yesterday they have edited "cattle-raising." But not cattle-raising.

Cattle-raising means to grow and killing. That is the.... Means the rascals, they have edited.

Pusta Krsna: Yeah, and we're.... (interference) Prabhupada: And "protection of cows," clearly.

Guru-krpa: Chapter Eighteen, Bhagavad-gita, that the vaisyas work...

Pusta Krsna: Oh, krsi-go-raksya.

Prabhupada: Ah, krsi-go-raksya. Immediately inform them.

Pusta Krsna: Okay. I noticed that also. I thought it was strange, some time back. [break]

Prabhupada: Hayagriva edited. He thought, "cattle-raising." Not "cattle-raising," but the word.... There.... It is mistranslation. It is go-raksya, "giving protection to the cows." Especially mentioned, go-raksya, not otherwise. The animal-eaters may take other animals, but not cow. They can take the pig, goats, lambs, rabbits, so many others, if they at all want to eat meat, birds, these so many. There is no such mention that "Animals should be protected," no. "Cows should be protected." That is Krsna's order. [break] They have decided to kill the cow. They have decided, "No brain. Eat." And our prayer is go-brahmana-hitaya ca, "to do good to the brahmanas and the cows." Actually it is revolutionary to the modern age. But how it is possible we say otherwise?

>>> Ref. VedaBase => Morning Walk -- April 21, 1976, Melbourne

Guest guest

Hare Krishna

reading this post made me realize it as an 'immediate' answer to my question by Srila Prabhupada; Lord Krishna, to be more accurate.

i think it is better to go back to the original 1972 version of the Bhagavada Gita As It Is; so i was looking at this particular change as i have been introduced a little to it. i read the sanskrit text, and it said go raksya, and in the english it said cattle raising. so i was wondering if the newer version is better after all. well, here's my dear Lord Krishna's answer, or at least it seems, : "No."

no arguments on the above.

my point is:

were there any other specific changes that His Divine Grace A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Srila Prabhupada wanted to the 1972 version of the Bhagavada Gita As It Is?

thank you for your time,

Hare Krishna