IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Amala

Barring Women from Entering Temple While Menstruating

Rate this topic

Namaste,

I would like to hear people's views on this subject. How did it begin? Why is it still practiced? Are there certain branches of Hinduism that do not do this? Are there movements to abolosh it? How do people here respond to seeing a sign stating that women who are menstruating are not allowed inside?

I have only just realized this is still practiced. A friend of mine refused to go when we had arranged to meet at a local temple (Bharatiya Temple in Troy, Michigan). I have written to the temple to find out if this is expected or if they do not follow this tradition. I spoke to the ISKCON Temple here in Detroit, Michigan, and wrote to their website and was told they do not practice this tradition, that everyone is welcome.

As far as my thoughts on this, while I respect traditions, this one seems to be based on out-dated information. As a woman, I would not go inside a temple that continues this, but not out of respect for the tradition. Rather, I would not go inside as a matter of principle - ever. I have heard of a man who has taken the same stance - even after travelling a long way to see a sacred site. I hope there are others so bold.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.

Amala