IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Nitocris

Correct accentuation and pronunciation

Rate this topic

Jaya, I am trying to learn sanskrit but I am a little confused. I am very glad that I found your forum. It seems very interesting!

I wanted to ask about the name Brahman, what is the correct pronunciation? I am so confused. It is like Braman without pronounce the H or i have to pronounce the letter H.

I know the difference in the accentuation between the Brahman and Brahma but I dont know if I have to pronounce the letter H.

I am following the IAST "The International Alphabet of Sanskrit Transliteration" as a transliteration scheme which is very popular.

Also I have another question. The word asura hasn't any diacritic mark, how do I pronounce a word in sanskrit without any diacritic mark? Which is the accentuation in this case? I know I have to pronounce it all short, but as I am from Hellas, it is quite confusing.

Finally, when you write the word kṛṣṇa (IAST). The letter ṛ is a vowel and you pronounce it like ri, right? It is the same as the word ṛṣi or Smṛti. Which is the right accentuation in these words? I assume that you pronounce it all short.

Thank you so much in advance