Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hey everyone, I wondered if any of you yoga peeps have any advice regarding

moving from half lotus to full?

Im quite bandy legged at over 6 feet tall, which means getting my legs into leg

positions can be quite challenging! I can sit in half lotus for about 10-15

minutes before hip pain sets in. But after a good few months I dont seem to be

making any progress in terms of flexibility.

Im no better or more comfortable now than I was when I started! I know its not

completely necessary to move into full lotus, but I would like to just from a

personal progression point of view.

Anyone have any good advice or can point me in the direction of good advice, I

would be extremely grateful and so would my hips!

Blessings

Andy

x

Guest guest

Slowly and incrementally Andy! -lol! Its not needed for the Kundalini but can be

a fun challenge for those who wish to explore the yoga postures. blessings and

may your Lotus bloom! - chrism

, " andyrpreston "

<andyrpreston wrote:

>

> Hey everyone, I wondered if any of you yoga peeps have any advice regarding

Guest guest

Hi Andy,    I feel sometimes the same as you. I go into my yoga routine and in certainpostures I feel like I am less flexible than last week. This makes me kinda of upset for alittle while and then I realize to keep focus on the breath. And what I actually noticed

is that when you keep you focus on the breath you can actually be more flexible. Anyway, you will get there dont worry about it.MikeOn Wed, Apr 22, 2009 at 1:44 AM, andyrpreston <andyrpreston wrote:

Hey everyone, I wondered if any of you yoga peeps have any advice regarding moving from half lotus to full?

Im quite bandy legged at over 6 feet tall, which means getting my legs into leg positions can be quite challenging! I can sit in half lotus for about 10-15 minutes before hip pain sets in. But after a good few months I dont seem to be making any progress in terms of flexibility.

Im no better or more comfortable now than I was when I started! I know its not completely necessary to move into full lotus, but I would like to just from a personal progression point of view.

Anyone have any good advice or can point me in the direction of good advice, I would be extremely grateful and so would my hips!

Blessings

Andy

x

Guest guest

I have come to the realization that maybe not all are meant for this. I'm pretty

flexible and when I sit in cobblers pose my knees can almost touch the ground.

When I try to sit in the full lotus, it's easy besides the fact that both knees

can't touch the ground. The only way I can see it happening is for my top foot

to come up off of my thigh and be suspended in the air. I think it's the way my

legs are, it's like my shins are in the way. I've been sitting in the half lotus

for almost 2 years now and my legs still go numb after 15 minutes. But this

numbness comes from, I think, my sit bones sitting on a nerve or tendon or

something. Very frustrating. My Feldenkrias teacher up in maine explained to me

how many westerners in yoga injure themselves trying these poses when it's the

not possible for some because of one's skeleton. She also was talking about how

asians are more adept to this because most of their bones don't get in the

way...

Does anyone know of an exercise that can get more muscle in one's buttocks?

namaste

craig

, " andyrpreston "

<andyrpreston wrote:

>

>

> Im quite bandy legged at over 6 feet tall, which means getting my legs into

leg positions can be quite challenging! I can sit in half lotus for about 10-15

minutes before hip pain sets in. But after a good few months I dont seem to be

making any progress in terms of flexibility.

>

> Im no better or more comfortable now than I was when I started! I know its not

completely necessary to move into full lotus, but I would like to just from a

personal progression point of view.

>

> Anyone have any good advice or can point me in the direction of good advice, I

would be extremely grateful and so would my hips!

>

> Blessings

>

> Andy

>

> x

>

Guest guest

Years ago, before it was realized that it could cause injury to the knee, the full squat was used to add mass to the gluteous maximus or buttox area. A slow sguat bringing the legs parallel to the ground is used now and is used to strengthen the knee and is to the knee. Bringing the locked leg back further than the buttox and as far back as comfortable is also used for this purpose. This can also be preformed laying on the stomach raising the leg upward. An exercise ball can be used to get different angles for this development. An exercise ball can be used to preform the parallel squat safely by placing it against a wall and slowly doing it. I would recomend that you balance the squat by doing hamstring curls that can be done on a machine or again with an exercise ball.

Good luck and blessings,

Jake--- On Thu, 4/23/09, kundaflame kundaflame wrote:

I have come to the realization that maybe not all are meant for this.

Guest guest

Hey all,

I was wondering the same thing because usually when I meditate I just sit indian

style but lately I have been wanting to do it the " correct " way in the full

lotus position. I have been doing it for about a week now, it is very

uncomfortable for me and distracts me from my meditation. I have been somewhat

concerned that it might be really bad for the knees. After I pry my legs apart I

have to just sit for a few minutes before I can stand up and walk. Even then I

have a limp for a few minutes. So like you said " maybe not all are meant for

this. "

What exactly is the advantage of sitting in full lotus as opposed to just laying

flat on your back?

, " kundaflame "

<kundaflame wrote:

>

> I have come to the realization that maybe not all are meant for this.

Guest guest

I wouldn't say that the full lotus is the goal, but being able to sit still in a

posture that works for the individual (I have yet to find one...). I think the

main advantage to sitting up as opposed to laying on the back is alertness. You

want to get into a relaxed state but remain alert, at least that's how I

understand it, and lying on the back is harder to remain alert because it's too

easy too relaxed and fall asleep.

craig

, " astraltraveler1984 "

<mjf84 wrote:

>

> Hey all,

> I was wondering the same thing because usually when I meditate I just sit

indian style but lately I have been wanting to do it the " correct " way in the

full lotus position. I have been doing it for about a week now, it is very

concerned that it might be really bad for the knees. After I pry my legs apart I

this. "

> What exactly is the advantage of sitting in full lotus as opposed to just

laying flat on your back?

>

> , " kundaflame "

<kundaflame@> wrote:

> >

> > I have come to the realization that maybe not all are meant for this.

>

Guest guest

Craig

If you haven't already tried the Japanese Seiza sitting, give it a try.

Quite uncomfortable at first, but becomes wonderful over time. It is

expected that one will be upright with eyes focussed maybe 10 - 12 ft ahead.

Love. Thanks.

Dell

kundaflame wrote:

> I wouldn't say that the full lotus is the goal, but being able to sit still in

a posture that works for the individual (I have yet to find one...). I think the

main advantage to sitting up as opposed to laying on the back is alertness. You

want to get into a relaxed state but remain alert, at least that's how I

understand it, and lying on the back is harder to remain alert because it's too

easy too relaxed and fall asleep.

> craig

>

>

>

> , " astraltraveler1984 "

<mjf84 wrote:

>

>> Hey all,

>> I was wondering the same thing because usually when I meditate I just sit

indian style but lately I have been wanting to do it the " correct " way in the

full lotus position. I have been doing it for about a week now, it is very

this. "

>> What exactly is the advantage of sitting in full lotus as opposed to just

laying flat on your back?

>>

>> , " kundaflame "

<kundaflame@> wrote:

>>

>>> I have come to the realization that maybe not all are meant for this.

>>>

>

>

>

>

> ---

>

>

Guest guest

I think the benefits of sitting on the floor instead of a chair is that you are more grounded.But whether its a half lotus / full lotus or some other way it doesnt really matter, aslong are you are alert and your back is straight.

This is my opinion.MikeOn Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 8:44 PM, PICO TECH <picotech9999 wrote:

Craig

If you haven't already tried the Japanese Seiza sitting, give it a try.

Quite uncomfortable at first, but becomes wonderful over time. It is

expected that one will be upright with eyes focussed maybe 10 - 12 ft ahead.

Love. Thanks.

Dell

kundaflame wrote:

> I wouldn't say that the full lotus is the goal, but being able to sit still in a posture that works for the individual (I have yet to find one...). I think the main advantage to sitting up as opposed to laying on the back is alertness. You want to get into a relaxed state but remain alert, at least that's how I understand it, and lying on the back is harder to remain alert because it's too easy too relaxed and fall asleep.

> craig

>

>

>

> , " astraltraveler1984 " <mjf84 wrote:

>

>> Hey all,

>> I was wondering the same thing because usually when I meditate I just sit indian style but lately I have been wanting to do it the " correct " way in the full lotus position. I have been doing it for about a week now, it is very uncomfortable for me and distracts me from my meditation. I have been somewhat concerned that it might be really bad for the knees. After I pry my legs apart I have to just sit for a few minutes before I can stand up and walk. Even then I have a limp for a few minutes. So like you said " maybe not all are meant for this. "

>> What exactly is the advantage of sitting in full lotus as opposed to just laying flat on your back?

>>

>> , " kundaflame " <kundaflame@> wrote:

>>

>>> I have come to the realization that maybe not all are meant for this.

>>>

>

>

>

>

> ---

>

>

Guest guest

In teacher training, we learn that pushing your body past limits is neither kind to your body or necessary. The goal is not to become a pretzel if your body is not as flexible as others. That is why bikram yoga is dangerous. The unnatural heat allows the body to push itself past the point of it's own design, causing many injuries. Even the most practiced yogi can throw out a back, or tear cartilage in a knee. Be kind to your body. Be kind to yourself, especially if this is causing a distraction in meditation. We learn to ignore the simple ache, the itch, the exterior noise around us, but pain is a signal from the body; and we should learn to recognize and pay heed to these messages.namaste and blissful meditating..............cleanse the subconsicous mind and align with the vision of the soul. enjoy your

mental shower to remove all thought and attachment. no matter how we are seated, the importance is a straight spine and balanced posture with the neck lock.Julie--- On Thu, 4/23/09, astraltraveler1984 <mjf84 wrote:astraltraveler1984 <mjf84 Re: Half Lotus and beyond... Date: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 2:34 PM

Hey all,

I was wondering the same thing because usually when I meditate I just sit indian style but lately I have been wanting to do it the "correct" way in the full lotus position. I have been doing it for about a week now, it is very uncomfortable for me and distracts me from my meditation. I have been somewhat concerned that it might be really bad for the knees. After I pry my legs apart I have to just sit for a few minutes before I can stand up and walk. Even then I have a limp for a few minutes. So like you said "maybe not all are meant for this."

What exactly is the advantage of sitting in full lotus as opposed to just laying flat on your back?

Kundalini-Awakening -Systems- 1 , "kundaflame" <kundaflame@ ...> wrote:

>

> I have come to the realization that maybe not all are meant for this.

Guest guest

The lotus is a good foundation. I didn't begin to use it until my mid to late 20's. The way I established the position was through stretching everyday.

You can bring your meditaiton into stretching and that awareness will tell the body the best way to relax and inform your mind of how you should position yourself. You have to start a dialogue between your mind and body.. You will tell your mind to meditate, it will progress into deeper stages of relaxation, but then the body will stop you and say I am uncomfortable. The body is telling you it needs to adjust its position, and it might also give you inspiration to do certain exorcises or stretching techniques that open up or soften that region.

It took me a long time to achieve the full lotus. When I say acheive, I don't mean I tied my legs together in a knot and congradulated myself. lol I approached the position by practicing the half lotus with both legs equally. Because you are trying to change the shape and function of your body, it takes time and has to be done very gently. Its just like working a piece of doe. If you have a few months to practice you could visit this position many times throughout the day to keep the area vitalized or warmed up.

The reason why one may seek the lotus position or try to meditate in the correct way is because there are other things you will have on your mind in meditation. If the body becomes a stable platform, it can relax into a secure position. After a while the body will communicate less with the mind because it will be comfortable. You won't have to pay any more mind to the body. Then you are free to open up a dialogue with another aspect of your being.

astraltraveler1984 <mjf84 Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 3:34:14 PM Re: Half Lotus and beyond...

Hey all,I was wondering the same thing because usually when I meditate I just sit indian style but lately I have been wanting to do it the "correct" way in the full lotus position. I have been doing it for about a week now, it is very uncomfortable for me and distracts me from my meditation. I have been somewhat concerned that it might be really bad for the knees. After I pry my legs apart I have to just sit for a few minutes before I can stand up and walk. Even then I have a limp for a few minutes. So like you said "maybe not all are meant for this."What exactly is the advantage of sitting in full lotus as opposed to just laying flat on your back?Kundalini-Awakening -Systems- 1 , "kundaflame" <kundaflame@ ...> wrote:>> I have come to

the realization that maybe not all are meant for this.

Guest guest

Hi Andy,

Sitting in a lotus is completely unnecessary for meditation purposes, and it may

cause knee injuries. Half lotus is just fine (as long as you alternate your

legs), and siddhasana is highly recommended, too. When I teach meditation, I

have students sit on chairs. As long as their backs are straight and their feet

are flat on the floor, this works just fine.

Sitting in an uncomfortable position during meditation defeats the purpose. All

that matters is that you somehow touch the floor while you meditate: it could be

your tailbone, or it could be your feet. Qigong practitioners, for example,

manage to draw in massive amounts of energy through their feet chakras as they

stand.

Sel

, " andyrpreston "

<andyrpreston wrote:

>

>

Guest guest

thanks Jake, I'll be working squats and hamstring curls into my routine.

blessings

craig

, Andrew Carney

<jakecarney36 wrote:

>

> Years ago, before it was realized that it could cause injury to the knee, the

full squat was used to add mass to the gluteous maximus or buttox area. A slow

sguat bringing the legs parallel to the ground is used now and is used to

strengthen the knee and is to the knee. Bringing the locked leg back further

than the buttox and as far back as comfortable is also used for this purpose.

This can also be preformed laying on the stomach raising the leg upward. An

exercise ball can be used to get different angles for this development. An

exercise ball can be used to preform the parallel squat safely by placing it

against a wall and slowly doing it. I would recomend that you balance the squat

by doing hamstring curls that can be done on a machine or again with an exercise

ball.

>  

> Good luck and blessings,

> Jake

>

> --- On Thu, 4/23/09, kundaflame kundaflame wrote:

>

I have come to the realization that maybe not all are meant for this. 

> ..

>

Guest guest

So basically the idea (for whatever posture) is to have the slight discomfort to

keep the body grounded, keep the mind aware of the body without distraction, and

to maintain full awareness during the meditation. That makes sense.

, Zack Nemeth

<karmaburn8 wrote:

>

> The lotus is a good foundation.  I didn't begin to use it until my

>

Guest guest

The way I think of being grounded for meditation is this.You are being built up from the ground. It is all energy so during our meditation we can feel at home and just let all the pieces and patterns fall into place. If I relax into the security of the earth then I can focus on what I would like. The problem is that our bodies have many imbalances, we are misaligned in various ways. It is helpful to think of deep meditation in a sitting or laying down position as building something. What you are building is your body in an unconscious state. You cannot put the body to sleep though if their is anything sticking out or feeling awkward because it will feel painful or uncomfortable, so you have to pay close attention to your posture. Stretching,

yoga postures, and other methods help you to get this nice order before you sit down to relax. If you are experience discomfort then you are perceiving an imbalance which is obstructing you from being more grounded. The earth below you is a part of your self, it is your foundation. The more you are grounded into it the more you will experience the lightness and freedom of the self. I give myself over to the with the breath, and as my body relaxes, the nuts and bolts fall into a neatly ordered stack. The order we rest in is important because our alignment will be the channel through which our energy flows. When I sit for long periods of time I want to have a stable foundation so I can forget about trying to hold myself up. My body knows how to hold itself up against the force of gravity without my conscious effort. When I meditate I know I do not have to leave any energy lurking in the body as

tension because my posture and foundation will keep me in place as I relax and concentrate. KBastraltraveler1984 <mjf84 Sent: Friday, April 24, 2009 12:03:29 PM Re: Half Lotus and beyond...

So basically the idea (for whatever posture) is to have the slight discomfort to keep the body grounded, keep the mind aware of the body without distraction, and to maintain full awareness during the meditation. That makes sense.

Kundalini-Awakening -Systems- 1 , Zack Nemeth <karmaburn8@ ...> wrote:

>

> The lotus is a good foundation. I didn't begin to use it until my

>

Guest guest

When I meditate, I often sit on a couch or bed....should I be sitting on the floor? Could this be the reason that I feel stagnant energy?

Be Well

Ernie

-

selena255

Friday, April 24, 2009 8:52 AM

Re: Half Lotus and beyond...

Hi Andy,Sitting in a lotus is completely unnecessary for meditation purposes, and it may cause knee injuries. Half lotus is just fine (as long as you alternate your legs), and siddhasana is highly recommended, too. When I teach meditation, I have students sit on chairs. As long as their backs are straight and their feet are flat on the floor, this works just fine.Sitting in an uncomfortable position during meditation defeats the purpose. All that matters is that you somehow touch the floor while you meditate: it could be your tailbone, or it could be your feet. Qigong practitioners, for example, manage to draw in massive amounts of energy through their feet chakras as they stand.Sel , "andyrpreston" <andyrpreston wrote:>> Hey everyone, I wondered if any of you yoga peeps have any advice regarding moving from half lotus to full?>