Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Mary Oliver - In Blackwater Woods

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

In Blackwater Woods

By Mary Oliver(1935 - )

Look, the treesare turningtheir own bodiesinto pillarsof light,are giving off the richfragrance of cinnamonand fulfillment,the long tapersof cattailsare bursting and floating away overthe blue shouldersof the ponds,and every pond,no matter what itsname is, isnameless now.Every yeareverythingI have ever learnedin my lifetimeleads back to this: the firesand the black river of losswhose other sideis salvation,whose meaningnone of us will ever know.To live in this worldyou must be ableto do three things:to love what is mortal;to hold itagainst your bones knowingyour own life depends on it;and, when the time comes to let it go,to let it go.

-- from American Primitive, by Mary Oliver

Amazon.com / Photo by obenson /

============

Thought for the Day:

Keep faithwith the living present,even if you must renounce the pastand abandon the future.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Deva Premal & Various

Yoga Hummingbird Series

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -This is one of my favorite poems by Mary Oliver. It speaks to so many levels of the human experience. Look, the treesare turningtheir own bodiesinto pillarsof light...Those opening lines draw me in every time I read them. They remind me that nature, too, is a heavenly realm. But there is also the beginning hint of loss here, something evanescent and fleeting. It as if these trees, in their glow, are fading from the physical world, receding from us. It is a lovely, melancholy sort of transcendence.Lines in this poem also suggest to me, at times, formless awareness:and every pond,no matter what itsname is, isnameless now.Notice the intentional ambiguity of that final line break above. She could be saying that the ponds are now nameless, or that they are nameless Now, nameless Presence.

Contemplating that double meaning can throw the mind into meditation.She uses a similar line break immediately preceding that: "name is, is". The break forces us unconsciously to think of how no matter what a place (or person) is named, it IS. It's existence is undeniable, not somehow dependent on definitions or categories or names. The line break tricks the mind into contemplating the relationship between being and name.But the part of the poem that touches me most is the courageous willingness to embrace both connection and loss:To live in this worldyou must be ableto do three things:to love what is mortal;to hold itagainst your bones knowingyour own life depends on it;and, when the time comes to let it go,to let it go.Have a beautiful weekend!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Donations to the Poetry ChaikhanaA big thank you to everyone who made a donation this past week:- Diana (CA), Eirene (CA), John (CA)And also a special thank you to those to the new voluntary rs who have signed up for a regular donation each month:- Meg---A few reasons to consider making a donation of your own...

A voluntary monthly subscription doesn't need to be forever. You can cancel the automatic donation at any time -- and still continue to receive the daily poem.

Ivan is always purchasing poetry books in search of new poets and good translations. Your contribution helps expand the library.

The Poetry Chaikhana opens pathways for interfaith dialog and exploration.

The brief 'Thought for the Day' says just the right thing some days.

The daily poem can bring fresh perspectives to your contemplation or prayer practice.

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2010 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.

Friday Only: If you want to receive only one poem email each week, reply to this email and change the Subject to "Friday Only".

Canceling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".