IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Each one must experience it for himself

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Teachings of BhagavanSri Ramana Maharshiin His Own WordsCHAPTER ONEGODChristians, except for the greatest mystics, cling to the idea ofa permanently real and separate ego. Sri Bhagavan had adiscussion on this point with a Jesuit Father, but it remainedinconclusive, Bhagavan trying to turn the Father's mindinwards to Self-enquiry and the Father demanding a theoreticalexposition instead.Dr. Emile Gathier, S. J., Professor of Philosophy at theSacred Heart College, Shenbaganur, Kodaikanal, asked: Canyou kindly give me a summary of your teachings?Bhagavan: They are found in the booklets, particularly in Who am I?Devotee: I shall read them. But may I have the central point ofyour teaching from your own lips?B.: The central point is just the thing.D.: It is not clear to me what you mean by that.B.: That you should find the centre.D.: I come from God. Isn't God distinct from me?B.: Who asks this question? God does not. You do. So findwho you are and then you may find out whether God is distinctfrom you.D.: But God is perfect and I am imperfect. How can Iever know Him fully?B.: God does not say so. It is you who ask the question.After finding out who you are, you may know what God is.D.: But you have found your Self. Please let us know ifGod is distinct from you.B.: It is a matter of experience. Each one must experienceit for himself.D.: Oh! I see. God is infinite and I am finite. I have apersonality which can never merge into God. Isn't that so?B.: Infinity and perfection do not admit of parts. If a finitebeing is apart from Infinity, the perfection of Infinity is marred.Thus your statement is a contradiction in terms.D.: No, see, there is both God and creation.B.: How are you aware of your personality?D.: I have a soul. I know it by its activities.B.: Did you know it in deep sleep?D.: The activities are suspended in deep sleep.B.: But you exist in sleep and you do now too. Which ofthese two is your real state?D.: Sleep and waking are mere accidents. I am the substancebehind the accidents.(He looked up at the clock and said that it was time forhim to catch the train. He left after thanking Sri Bhagavan. Sothe conversation ended abruptly). 1 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 602.