Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Paramahansa Yogananda - O Spirit, reveal Thyself as Thou art

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

O Spirit, reveal Thyself as Thou art

By Paramahansa Yogananda(1893 - 1952)

O Spirit, Thou art just behind my vision, with which I see Thine outward beauty. Thou art just behind my hearing with which I listen to the medley of earth sounds. Thou art just behind my touch, with which I feel the objects of Thy world.Thou art just behind the veil of Nature's splendors. In the sympathetic glances of flowers, in the zest of sustaining food, and in all Thine other bounties lies hidden the essence of Thy Being, Thine eternal sweetness.As I invoke Thee, Lord, Thou art just behind my awe-trembling voice. Thou art just behind the mind with which I pray. Thou art just behind my deepest feelings. Thou art just behind my sacred thoughts. Thou art just behind my cravings for Thee. Thou art just behind my meditations. Thou art just behind my tender love.Wilt Thou not come out from behind the screens of human feelings and creation's elaborate

displays? O Inscrutable by Mortals! open my divine eye that sees Thee as Thou art.

-- from Whispers from Eternity, by Paramahansa Yogananda

Amazon.com / Photo by SashaW /

============

Thought for the Day:

It is in the darknessthat we learn to see.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Krishna Das

Pilgrim Heart

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -A prayer-poem for us today from one of the great spiritual ambassadors of the 20th century, Paramahansa Yogananda.O Spirit, Thou art just behind my vision, with which I see Thine outward beauty...Yogananda seems to be describing a divine game of hide-and-seek. The Eternal Spirit is there, everywhere right there, just barely hidden behind "the screens of human feelings and creations elaborate displays."It's not that we have to find the right place to look. It's that we have to find the right way to look.O Inscrutable by Mortals! open my divine eye that sees Thee as Thou art.Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2010 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.

Friday Only: If you want to receive only one poem email each week, reply to this email and change the Subject to "Friday Only".

Canceling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".