IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Our essential nature is happiness

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Teachings of BhagavanSri Ramana Maharshiin His Own WordsCHAPTER ONESINHe did, of course, insist on the need for purity. Sometimes avisitor would complain that he was too weak to resist hislower tendencies and would simply be told to try harder.According to his temperament he might be told to find whoit is that has the lower tendencies, or to trust in God.Devotee: I am a sinner and do not perform any religious duties.Shall I have a painful rebirth because of that?Bhagavan: Why do you say you are a sinner? Faith in God isenough to save you from rebirth. Cast all your burden on Him.In the Tiruvachakam it is said: `Though I am worse than a dog,You have graciously undertaken to protect me. The delusion ofdeath and birth is maintained by You. Is it for me to sit andjudge? Am I the Lord here? Almighty God, it is for You to rollme through many bodies, or keep me fixed at Your feet.'Therefore have faith and that will save you. 1D.: There is more pleasure in meditation than in sensualenjoyment and yet the mind seeks the latter and not the former.Why is that?B.: Pleasure and pain are only aspects of the mind. Ouressential nature is happiness, but we have forgotten the Self andimagine that the body or the mind is the Self. It is this wrongidentification that gives rise to misery. What is to be done? Thistendency is very deep-rooted and has continued for many pastbirths and so has grown strong. It will have to go before theessential nature, which is happiness, can be realised.21 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 30.2 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 540.

Guest guest

On 29/03/2010 07:13, Grant wrote:

The Teachings of Bhagavan

Sri Ramana Maharshi

in His Own Words

CHAPTER ONE

SIN

He did, of course, insist on the need for purity.

Sometimes a

visitor would complain that he was too weak to resist his

lower tendencies and would simply be told to try harder.

According to his temperament he might be told to find who

it is that has the lower tendencies, or to trust in God.

Devotee: I am a sinner and do not perform any religious duties.

Shall I have a painful rebirth because of that?

Bhagavan: Why do you say you are a sinner? Faith in God is

enough to save you from rebirth. Cast all your burden on Him.

In the Tiruvachakam it is said: `Though I am worse than a dog,

You have graciously undertaken to protect me. The delusion of

death and birth is maintained by You. Is it for me to sit and

judge? Am I the Lord here? Almighty God, it is for You to roll

me through many bodies, or keep me f!

ixed at Your feet.'

Therefore have faith and that will save you. 1

D.: There is more pleasure in meditation than in sensual

enjoyment and yet the mind seeks the latter and not the former.

Why is that?

B.: Pleasure and pain are only aspects of the mind. Our

essential nature is happiness, but we have forgotten the Self and

imagine that the body or the mind is the Self. It is this wrong

identification that gives rise to misery. What is to be done? This

tendency is very deep-rooted and has continued for many past

births and so has grown strong. It will have to go before the

essential nature, which is happiness, can be realised.2

1 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 30.

2 Talks with

Sri Ramana Maharshi, 540.

:) the real, the self (or its absence), is ever whole, complete,

immutable... boundless and inescapable.

pain and pleasure are strains

in the tightly intertwined rope

making up this world of opposites,

no one without the other.

a rope that binds the illusion identity,

(whose true nature remains ever free)

to the addictive excitement game

of loss and gain,

attraction, rejection, joy of winning,

and pain.

in darkness, the light of truth hidden

by storm clouds of ignorant fears and desires

this rope appears to be a scary snake,

frightening to the core the gullible,

who identify self with a form and a name.

but when understanding dawns

illuminating the heart with grace

all distinctions and separations cease.

the rope of illusion is burnt to ashes.

the obvious is always self evident

how can the boundless be bound?

timeless truth was never lost. so

how can it ever be found?

_()_

yosy

Guest guest

Dear Yosy,

BOOM! BOOM !

Thanks,

Love,

Alan--- On Mon, 29/3/10, Yosy <yosyflug wrote:

Yosy <yosyflugRe: Our essential nature is happiness Cc: "Grant" <g-ssummervilleMonday, 29 March, 2010, 12:58

On 29/03/2010 07:13, Grant wrote:

The Teachings of BhagavanSri Ramana Maharshiin His Own WordsCHAPTER ONESINHe did, of course, insist on the need for purity. Sometimes avisitor would complain that he was too weak to resist hislower tendencies and would simply be told to try harder.According to his temperament he might be told to find whoit is that has the lower tendencies, or to trust in God.Devotee: I am a sinner and do not perform any religious duties.Shall I have a painful rebirth because of that?Bhagavan: Why do you say you are a sinner? Faith in God isenough to save you from rebirth. Cast all your burden on Him.In the Tiruvachakam it is said: `Though I am worse than a dog,You have graciously undertaken to protect me. The delusion ofdeath and birth is maintained by You. Is it for me to sit andjudge? Am I the

Lord here? Almighty God, it is for You to rollme through many bodies, or keep me f! ixed at Your feet.'Therefore have faith and that will save you. 1D.: There is more pleasure in meditation than in sensualenjoyment and yet the mind seeks the latter and not the former.Why is that?B.: Pleasure and pain are only aspects of the mind. Ouressential nature is happiness, but we have forgotten the Self andimagine that the body or the mind is the Self. It is this wrongidentification that gives rise to misery. What is to be done? Thistendency is very deep-rooted and has continued for many pastbirths and so has grown strong. It will have to go before theessential nature, which is happiness, can be realised.21 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 30.2 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 540.:) the real, the self (or its absence), is ever whole, complete, immutable... boundless and inescapable.* * * * * * *pain and pleasure are strains in the tightly intertwined rope making up this world of opposites,no one without the other. a rope that binds the illusion identity,(whose true nature remains ever free) to the addictive excitement game of loss and gain, attraction, rejection, joy of winning, and pain.in darkness, the light of truth hidden by storm clouds of ignorant fears and desires this rope appears to be a scary snake, frightening to the core the gullible, who identify self with a form and a name. but when understanding dawns

illuminating the heart with grace all distinctions and separations cease. the rope of illusion is burnt to ashes. the obvious is always self evident how can the boundless be bound? timeless truth was never lost. so how can it ever be found?_()_yosy