IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

you must assiduously practise continued abidance in the Self

Rate this topic

Guest guest

THE ESSENCE OF RIBHU GITAThe following verses constitute the teachings of Siva to Ribhu,who in turn transmits those teachings to his disciple Nidhaga Rishi.The treatise goes by the name Ribhu Gita.`Sahaja Nishta' or The Natural StateVerses 102 to 121. these 20 contain the declarations of thedisciple Nidaga before his teacher Ribhu, expressing the spiritualachievements secured by him by the grace of his teacher, andexpressions of his gratitude to his teacher, Ribhu.110. After being duly initiated into these teachings bythe Sat Guru, the disciple must, as long as life lasts in him,provide his teacher liberally with money, food, clothing andshelter and loving devotion. This is the sine qua non for thedisciple's mukti. (Ch.43, v.11)111. Further, he should adorn his forehead and body withvibhuti (sacred ash) in the prescribed manner, as this use ofvibhuti alone will entitle him to Lord Siva's grace which removesall impediments to salvation. (Ch.43 v.12)112. The habitual smearing of the body with vibhuti iscalled pasupatha vratham (austerity in devotion to Siva). Thispractice quickens the attainment of Self-knowledge. O LordSat Guru! By this practice I earned the merit for arriving at thyholy feet which have led me to salvation. (Ch.43, v.13)113. I am ever the eternal, pure, all knowing, free,unshakeable, non-dual, integral Self. This is the firmconviction of the experience of the jivan mukta in the Self.(Ch.43, v.28)114. That mature Jnani who is lost in the maha mounam(total stillness) of the pure effulgent Awareness-Brahman-Self,devoid of the least trace of nescience, totally devoid of allconsciousness of the body and its three states of waking, dreamand sleep, devoid of all distinctions of name and form anddevoid of any thought of bondage or freedom is a videhamukta. (Ch.43, v.29)115. Thou hast, O Lord Sat Guru, taken me across theboundless ocean of samsara in the boat of Self-knowledge. Tome, floundering in the misery of the belief that `I am the body'thou hast taught that `I am the Brahman-Self ' and vouchsafedto me the bliss of all embracing Awareness-Being. To thee, Irender these devout salutations. (Ch.44, v.16)116. Salutations to thee, my Lord Sat Guru! Thou hastdestroyed my illusion that I am the body and that the world isapart from me and is real. Thou hast given me the experienceof my own Brahman-Self. Thou hast destroyed my wrong beliefthat karma (action) is the road to salvation, and showing thatknowledge alone could make one free. Thou hast given me mysalvation in the Self (Ch.44, v.17)117. To that divine Grace-embodied, to that Omnipresencebeyond compare, to that Siva-Self Sat Guru, I render devoutsalutation. (Ch.44, v.18)118. To that Sat Guru who is the core of my Self, whodestroyed my nescience by the gift of Awareness-Self, to thatembodiment of Self-knowledge, do I offer these salutations.(Ch.44, v.19)119. Salutations to the Sat Guru who is the embodimentof undisturbed peace, without attributes, eternal purity, allpervasive infinite sky of consciousness and integral perfection(Ch.44, v.20)Note:-The following verses 120 and 121 contain Ribhu'sexhortation to Nidaga.120. In reply to the words of Nidaga, Ribhu replies thus:O my son! You are now no doubt firmly settled in the bliss ofBrahman-Self, having been freed from all illusion and nescience.All the same, as abundant precaution, until you attain videhamukti you must assiduously practise continued abidance in theSelf. (Ch.44, v.22)121. Aspirants of Self-knowledge will find their successaccelerated by practical bodily worship of Siva. Living in a Sivakshetra (neighbourhood of Siva Temple) they should offerworship to Siva Maha Lingam, wearing the sacred vibhuthi andrudraksha (garland of a specified sort of beads), and repeatingthe name of Siva with loving devotion. (Ch.44, v.39)122. Benedictory Verse offering salutationsto Siva-Self.Salutations to Sat-Chit-Ananda-Siva-Self!Salutations to that Peace undisturbed, the Self!Salutations to that integral Perfection, the Self!Salutations to that Effulgent-Awareness, the Self!Salutations to that blemish-free Self without attributes!Salutations to that indivisible Unity, the Self!Salutations to that pure sky of consciousness, the Self!Salutations to that supreme integral Existence, the Self!(Ch.44, v.51)---------That ends The Essence of Ribhu Gita. Tomorrow we beginAdvaita Bodha Deepika - The Lamp of Non-Dual Knowledge.