Guest guest

John O'Donohue - On Waking

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A beautiful poem from Ivan

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

On Waking

By John O'Donohue(1954 - 2008)

I give thanks for arrivingSafely in a new dawn,For the gift of eyesTo see the world,The gift of mindTo feel at homeIn my life,The waves of possibilityBreaking on the shore of dawn,The harvest of the pastThat awaits my hunger,And all the furtheringsThis new day will bring.

-- from To Bless the Space Between Us: A Book of Blessings, by John O'Donohue

Amazon.com / Photo by itulu26 /

============

Thought for the Day:

WantGodmore!

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Tabla Beat Science

Live in San Francisco at Stern Grove

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -John O'Donohue is an inspiring Irish philosopher, poet, mystic who passed away unexpectedly in early 2008.John O'Donohe had degrees in philosophy and literature. His writings, though grounded in academic philosophy and theology, are immediate, personal, very human. He was as much a mystic and a poet as a contributor to philosophical dialog.Much of his writing and poetry drew deeply from Irish Celtic perspectives, both in Christian and pre-Christian wisdom, while speaking to a widely diverse, modern audience.==This poem for today...If you like, consider it a St. Patrick's Day poem, given John O'Donohue's Irish heritage. I give thanks for arrivingSafely in a new dawnOr it can be a poem to welcome the dawning of Spring.For the gift of eyesTo see the worldOr thankfulness for vision and

presence in the world.The gift of mindTo feel at homeIn my life.Or appreciation for self and self-awareness.The waves of possibilityBreaking on the shore of dawnOpen-hearted anticipation of how each day magically unfolds possibility into reality.The harvest of the pastThat awaits my hungerAnd how the past offers itself up to feed the soul that seeks fullness by continuously reclaiming itself.And all the furtheringsThis new day will bring.For all these reasons, for the advancing stories of our lives, rise each dawn with a smile, with strength, and with thanks!Have a beautiful day today!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2010 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.

Friday Only: If you want to receive only one poem email each week, reply to this email and change the Subject to "Friday Only".

Canceling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".