IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Feeling is the main thing, not reason

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Teachings of BhagavanSri Ramana Maharshiin His Own WordsCHAPTER ONEHEART AND HEADIn the following passage an English lady remarks on thisawareness without thought and Bhagavan approves.Devotee: Thoughts suddenly cease and `I-I' rises up equallysuddenly and continues. It is only a feeling, not a thought. Canit be right?Bhagavan: Yes, it is quite right. Thoughts have to cease and reasonto disappear for the `I-I' to rise up and be felt. Feeling is themain thing, not reason.D.: Moreover, it is not in the head, but at the right side ofthe chest.B.: That is where it should be, because the heart is there.D.: When I look outwards it disappears. What should I do?B.: Hold fast to it.1This does not mean that thought is impossible during the stateof `I' consciousness, as indeed one can see from the example ofBhagavan himself, who was permanently in that state. For theignorant person, thought is like a dense cloud overhead, shuttinghim off from the illumination of the sun. When the ceiling ofcloud has been broken and rolled back, letting in the light, hecan use thought without being imprisoned by it. To change themetaphor, Bhagavan sometimes compared the mind of theRealised Man to the moon in the sky in day-time – it is therebut its light is not needed – because one can see without it bythe direct light of the sun.1 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 24.