Lakota (Anonymous) - Three Lakota Songs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

FROM IVAN

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

Three Lakota Songs

By Lakota (Anonymous)(20th Century)

English version by Frances Densmore & Brian Swann

May the sun rise in splendorMay the earth appear in lightA windwearsmeLookIt issacredA rainbow hoopwearsmeEverybodysees mecoming

-- from Song of the Sky: Versions of Native American Song-Poems, by Brian Swann

Amazon.com / Photo by mamnaimie /

============

Thought for the Day:

Gather silence.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

dj Nader

Play it Loud 2000

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Traditionally the Lakota homeland is in North and South Dakota.Black Elk (made famous in the book, Black Elk Speaks) was a Lakota Sioux holy man.==May the sun rise in splendorMay the earth appear in lightPause from the daily rush for a moment in order to recognize what a truly breathtaking place it is we all inhabit. Each and every day begins with such shining majesty, and you and I are given the great gift of being witness to it. We didn't have to do something special to earn this privilege other than be born.It's easy to confuse priorities in the midst of daily pressures. But we all need to periodically remind ourselves to stop and honor that unearned gift by actually noticing it.Awe at what we encounter daily can feel exhausting... at first. But the quieter we become, the more we recognize it as our true state of

being."A wind wears me... A rainbow hoop wears me..." I love these lines. The "me" could be the light of the sun, or it could be us. Heard this way, it is the proper recognition that we are ornamentation for the living world. We are accents upon the beautiful face of creation. As humans we tend to take ourselves so seriously that we forget that we do not exist for ourselves; we are expressions of the living whole. And that particular sparkle of witnessing awareness we carry, that does not belong to us, but it is there to reflect the countless colors of existence back upon itself so that the living world may know itself more fully.LookIt issacredHave a beautiful day!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2010 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.

Friday Only: If you want to receive only one poem email each week, reply to this email and change the Subject to "Friday Only".

Canceling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".