Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

The awareness is itself the I

Rate this topic

Guest guest

The Teachings of BhagavanSri Ramana Maharshiin His Own WordsCHAPTER ONETHE

NATURE

OF MANConsciousness is pure knowledge. The mind arises out ofit

and is made up of thoughts. 1The essence of the mind is only awareness or consciousness.However, when

the ego overclouds it, it functions as reasoning,thinking or perceiving. The universal mind, not being limitedby the ego, has nothing outside itself and is therefore only aware.This is what the Bible means by `I am that I am.' 2The

ego-ridden mind has its strength sapped and is tooweak to resist distressing thoughts. The egoless mind is happy,as we see in deep, dreamless sleep. Clearly, therefore, happinessand distress are only modes of the mind. 3D.: When I seek

the `I', I see nothing.B.: You say that because you are accustomed to identifyyourself with the body and sight with the eyes, but what is thereto be seen? And by whom? And how? There is only oneConsciousness and this, when it identifies itself with the body,projects itself through the eyes and sees the surrounding objects.The individual is limited to the waking state; he expects to

seesomething different and accepts the authority of his senses. Hewill

not admit that he who sees, the objects seen, and the act ofseeing are all manifestations of the same Consciousness – the`I-I'. Meditation helps to overcome the illusion that the Self issomething to see. Actually there is nothing to see. How do yourecognise yourself now? Do you have to hold a mirror up infront of your self to recognise yourself? The awareness is itselfthe `I'. Realise it and that is the truth. 41 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 589.2 Exodus III, 14.3 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 188.4 Talks with Sri Ramana Maharshi, 196.