IndiaDivine.org

Farid ud-Din Attar - The Dullard Sage

Rate this topic

Guest guest

--- Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

The Dullard Sage

By Farid ud-Din Attar(1120? - 1220?)

English version by Peter Lamborn Wilson and Nasrollah Pourjavady

Lost in myself I reappeared I know not wherea drop that rose from the sea and fell and dissolved again;a shadow that stretched itself out at dawn,when the sun reached noon I disappeared.I have no news of my coming or passing away--the whole thing happened quicker

than a breath;ask no questions of the moth. In the candle flameof his face I have forgotten all the answers.In the way of love there must be knowledge and ignoranceso I have become both a dullard and a sage;one must be an eye and yet not seeso I am blind and yet I still

perceive,Dust be on my head if I can saywhere I in bewilderment have wandered:Attar watched his heart transcend both worldsand under its shadow now is gone mad with love.

-- from The Drunken Universe: An Anthology of Persian Sufi Poetry, Translated by Peter Lamborn Wilson / Translated by Nasrollah Pourjavady

Amazon.com / Photo by Chico.Ferreira /

============

Thought for the Day:

Every thing, every experienceis offered upon the altar of time.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Maggie Sansone

A Traveler's Dream

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Farid ud-Din Attar was born in Nishapur, in north-east Iran. There is disagreement over the exact dates of his birth and death but several sources confirm that he lived about 100 years. He is traditionally said to have been killed by Mongol invaders. His tomb can be seen today in Nishapur.As a younger man, Attar went on pilgrimage to Mecca and traveled extensively throughout the region, seeking wisdom in Egypt, Damascus, India, and other areas, before finally returning to his home city of Nishapur.The name Attar means herbalist or druggist, which was his profession. It is said that he saw as many as 500 patients a day in his shop, prescribing herbal remedies which he prepared himself, and he wrote his poetry while attending to his patients.Attar's poetry inspired Rumi and many other Sufi poets. It is said that Rumi actually met Attar when Attar was an old

man and Rumi was a boy, though some scholars dispute this possibility.Farid ud-Din Attar was apparently tried at one point for heresy and exiled from Nishapur, but he eventually returned to his home city and that is where he died.A traditional story is told about Attar's death. He was taken prisoner by a Mongol during the invasion of Nishapur. Someone soon came and tried to ransom Attar with a thousand pieces of silver. Attar advised the Mongol not to sell him for that price. The Mongol, thinking to gain an even greater sum of money, refused the silver. Later, another person came, this time offering only a sack of straw to free Attar. Attar then told the Mongol to sell him for that was all he was worth. Outraged at being made a fool, the Mongol cut off Attar's head.Whether or not this is literally true isn't the point. This story is used to teach the mystical insight that the personal self isn't of much real worth. What is

valuable is the Beloved's presence within us -- and that presence isn't threatened by the death of the body.==To all you wise, wondrous sages, a reminder from Attar to also be a dullard. Knowledge requires mind and conceptualization, the parceling out of reality into small pieces that can be thought about and communicated. True merging with the Divine draws us into the unbroken Unity. When the light of this unbroken awareness shines fully, even the sense of a separate self is lost --a shadowthat stretched itself outat dawn,when the sunreached noonI disappeared.This Wholeness is an awareness that is too great to be comprehended by the limited mind. One naturally falls into the all-encompassing silence of that sacred merging...ask no questionsof the moth.In the candle flameof his faceI have forgottenall the answers."In the way of love /

there must be knowledge / and ignorance..." There must be knowledge as we each walk the path, so we can see each step as we take it. But ultimately there must be "ignorance" because, once the last step is taken, nothing can be said about it. Actually, we don't take the final step, it takes us. Who is left then to speak or to know? What is left to know anything about? It is the step that swallows the universe into Oneness and leaves us dumbfounded.Attar's advice: Become both a dullard and a sage, and go mad with love!Have a beautiful day!Ivan

Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.

Friday Only: If you want to receive only one poem email each week, reply to this email and change the Subject to "Friday Only".

Canceling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Dear Alanji,

Ivanji's posting is as beautiful as ever. Thanks for this lovely piece of poetry

and explanation.

Love

yours in Bhagavan

Ramamohan

, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs wrote:

>

>

>

> --- Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

> The Dullard Sage

> By Farid ud-Din Attar

> (1120? - 1220?)

> English version by Peter Lamborn Wilson and Nasrollah Pourjavady

>  

> Lost in myself

>           I reappeared

>                     I know not where

> a drop that rose

>           from the sea and fell

>                     and dissolved again;

> a shadow

>           that stretched itself out

>                     at dawn,

> when the sun

>           reached noon

>                     I disappeared.

> I have no news

>           of my coming

>                     or passing away--

> the whole thing

>           happened quicker

>                     than a breath;

> ask no questions

>           of the moth.

>                     In the candle flame

> of his face

>           I have forgotten

>                     all the answers.

> In the way of love

>           there must be knowledge

>                     and ignorance

> so I have become

>           both a dullard

>                     and a sage;

> one must be

>           an eye and yet

>                     not see

> so I am blind

>           and yet I still

>                     perceive,

> Dust

>           be on my head

>                     if I can say

> where I

>           in bewilderment

>                     have wandered:

> Attar

>           watched his heart

>                     transcend both worlds

> and under its shadow

>           now is gone mad

>                     with love.

>  

-- from The Drunken Universe: An Anthology of Persian Sufi Poetry, Translated

by Peter Lamborn Wilson / Translated by Nasrollah Pourjavady

> Amazon.com

> / Photo by Chico.Ferreira /

============

> Thought for the Day:

> Every thing, every experience

> is offered up

> on the altar of time.

> ============

>

> Here's your Daily Music selection --

>

> Maggie Sansone

>

> A Traveler's Dream

>

> Listen - Purchase

> More Music Selections

>  

> Hi Alan -

>

> Farid ud-Din Attar was born in Nishapur, in north-east Iran. There is

disagreement over the exact dates of his birth and death but several sources

confirm that he lived about 100 years. He is traditionally said to have been

killed by Mongol invaders. His tomb can be seen today in Nishapur.

>

> As a younger man, Attar went on pilgrimage to Mecca and traveled extensively

throughout the region, seeking wisdom in Egypt, Damascus, India, and other

areas, before finally returning to his home city of Nishapur.

>

> The name Attar means herbalist or druggist, which was his profession. It is

said that he saw as many as 500 patients a day in his shop, prescribing herbal

remedies which he prepared himself, and he wrote his poetry while attending to

his patients.

>

> Attar's poetry inspired Rumi and many other Sufi poets. It is said that Rumi

actually met Attar when Attar was an old man and Rumi was a boy, though some

scholars dispute this possibility.

>

> Farid ud-Din Attar was apparently tried at one point for heresy and exiled

from Nishapur, but he eventually returned to his home city and that is where he

died.

>

> A traditional story is told about Attar's death. He was taken prisoner by a

Mongol during the invasion of Nishapur. Someone soon came and tried to ransom

Attar with a thousand pieces of silver. Attar advised the Mongol not to sell him

for that price. The Mongol, thinking to gain an even greater sum of money,

refused the silver. Later, another person came, this time offering only a sack

of straw to free Attar. Attar then told the Mongol to sell him for that was all

he was worth. Outraged at being made a fool, the Mongol cut off Attar's head.

>

> Whether or not this is literally true isn't the point. This story is used to

teach the mystical insight that the personal self isn't of much real worth. What

is valuable is the Beloved's presence within us -- and that presence isn't

threatened by the death of the body.

>

> ==

>

> To all you wise, wondrous sages, a reminder from Attar to also be a dullard.

>

> Knowledge requires mind and conceptualization, the parceling out of reality

into small pieces that can be thought about and communicated. True merging with

the Divine draws us into the unbroken Unity. When the light of this unbroken

awareness shines fully, even the sense of a separate self is lost --

>

> a shadow

> that stretched itself out

> at dawn,

>

> when the sun

> reached noon

> I disappeared.

>

> This Wholeness is an awareness that is too great to be comprehended by the

limited mind. One naturally falls into the all-encompassing silence of that

sacred merging...

>

> ask no questions

> of the moth.

> In the candle flame

>

> of his face

> I have forgotten

> all the answers.

>

> " In the way of love / there must be knowledge / and ignorance... " There must

be knowledge as we each walk the path, so we can see each step as we take it.

But ultimately there must be " ignorance " because, once the last step is taken,

nothing can be said about it. Actually, we don't take the final step, it takes

us. Who is left then to speak or to know? What is left to know anything about?

It is the step that swallows the universe into Oneness and leaves us

dumbfounded.

>

> Attar's advice: Become both a dullard and a sage, and go mad with love!

>

> Have a beautiful day!

>

> Ivan

>   Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary...

>  

>

>

>

>

> Support the Poetry Chaikhana

>

>

>

>

> Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

>

> Click here

>  

>

> You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and

publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through

the links on this site. Thank you!

>

>

>

> Click here

> A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary

Subscriber for just $2/mo.

>  

>

>

>

>

>

> Click here

> Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just

$10/mo.

>  

>

>

>

>

>

> Poetry Chaikhana Home

>

> New | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | Contact

> Poets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | Commentary

>

>

> Blog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

> www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

> Poetry Chaikhana

> P.O. Box 2320

> Boulder, CO 80306

>  

> Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are

2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.

> All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators

and/or publishers.

> ============

> Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email,

please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.

> Friday Only: If you want to receive only one poem email each week, reply to

this email and change the Subject to " Friday Only " .

> Canceling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry

Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to " Cancel " .

>

Dear Sri Ramamohan,

Thanks are due to Ivan Granger, the American Poet, who send us these. Glad you enjoy them.

All best wishes and warm regards,

Yours in Bhagavan,

Alan--- On Fri, 19/2/10, Ramamohan <srmnanduri wrote:

Ramamohan <srmnanduri Re: Farid ud-Din Attar - The Dullard Sage Date: Friday, 19 February, 2010, 3:24

Dear Alanji,Ivanji's posting is as beautiful as ever. Thanks for this lovely piece of poetry and explanation.Loveyours in BhagavanRamamohan, Alan Jacobs <alanadamsjacobs@ ...> wrote:>> > > --- Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --> > > > > > > > > The Dullard Sage> By Farid ud-Din Attar> (1120? - 1220?)> English version by Peter Lamborn Wilson and Nasrollah Pourjavady> > Lost in myself> I reappeared> I know not where> a drop that

rose> from the sea and fell> and dissolved again;> a shadow> that stretched itself out> at dawn,> when the sun> reached noon> I disappeared.> I have no news> of my coming> or passing away--> the whole thing> happened quicker> than a breath;> ask no questions> of the moth.>

In the candle flame> of his face> I have forgotten> all the answers.> In the way of love> there must be knowledge> and ignorance> so I have become> both a dullard> and a sage;> one must be> an eye and yet> not see> so I am blind> and yet I still> perceive,> Dust>

be on my head> if I can say> where I> in bewilderment> have wandered:> Attar> watched his heart> transcend both worlds> and under its shadow> now is gone mad> with love.> > > > > > > > -- from The Drunken Universe: An Anthology of Persian Sufi Poetry, Translated by Peter Lamborn Wilson / Translated by Nasrollah Pourjavady> Amazon.com > / Photo by Chico.Ferreira /> > > >

> > > ============> Thought for the Day:> Every thing, every experience> is offered up> on the altar of time.> ============> > Here's your Daily Music selection --> > Maggie Sansone> > A Traveler's Dream> > Listen - Purchase> More Music Selections> > Hi Alan -> > Farid ud-Din Attar was born in Nishapur, in north-east Iran. There is disagreement over the exact dates of his birth and death but several sources confirm that he lived about 100 years. He is traditionally said to have been killed by Mongol invaders. His tomb can be seen today in Nishapur.> > As a younger man, Attar went on pilgrimage to Mecca and traveled extensively throughout the region, seeking wisdom in Egypt, Damascus, India, and other areas, before finally returning to his home city of Nishapur.> > The name

Attar means herbalist or druggist, which was his profession. It is said that he saw as many as 500 patients a day in his shop, prescribing herbal remedies which he prepared himself, and he wrote his poetry while attending to his patients.> > Attar's poetry inspired Rumi and many other Sufi poets. It is said that Rumi actually met Attar when Attar was an old man and Rumi was a boy, though some scholars dispute this possibility.> > Farid ud-Din Attar was apparently tried at one point for heresy and exiled from Nishapur, but he eventually returned to his home city and that is where he died.> > A traditional story is told about Attar's death. He was taken prisoner by a Mongol during the invasion of Nishapur. Someone soon came and tried to ransom Attar with a thousand pieces of silver. Attar advised the Mongol not to sell him for that price. The Mongol, thinking to gain an even greater sum of money, refused the

silver. Later, another person came, this time offering only a sack of straw to free Attar. Attar then told the Mongol to sell him for that was all he was worth. Outraged at being made a fool, the Mongol cut off Attar's head.> > Whether or not this is literally true isn't the point. This story is used to teach the mystical insight that the personal self isn't of much real worth. What is valuable is the Beloved's presence within us -- and that presence isn't threatened by the death of the body.> > ==> > To all you wise, wondrous sages, a reminder from Attar to also be a dullard. > > Knowledge requires mind and conceptualization, the parceling out of reality into small pieces that can be thought about and communicated. True merging with the Divine draws us into the unbroken Unity. When the light of this unbroken awareness shines fully, even the sense of a separate self is lost --> > a

shadow> that stretched itself out> at dawn,> > when the sun> reached noon> I disappeared.> > This Wholeness is an awareness that is too great to be comprehended by the limited mind. One naturally falls into the all-encompassing silence of that sacred merging...> > ask no questions> of the moth.> In the candle flame> > of his face> I have forgotten> all the answers.> > "In the way of love / there must be knowledge / and ignorance... " There must be knowledge as we each walk the path, so we can see each step as we take it. But ultimately there must be "ignorance" because, once the last step is taken, nothing can be said about it. Actually, we don't take the final step, it takes us. Who is left then to speak or to know? What is left to know anything about? It is the step that swallows the universe into Oneness and leaves us

dumbfounded.> > Attar's advice: Become both a dullard and a sage, and go mad with love!> > Have a beautiful day!> > Ivan> Share Your Thoughts on today's poem or my commentary.. .> > > > > > Support the Poetry Chaikhana> > > > > Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!> > Click here > > > You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!> > > > Click here > A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.> > > > > > > Click here > Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach

more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.> > > > > > > Poetry Chaikhana Home> > New | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | Contact> Poets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | Commentary> > > Blog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter> www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com> Poetry Chaikhana> P.O. Box 2320> Boulder, CO 80306> > Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are Copyright © 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.> All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers. > ============> Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead.> Friday Only: If you want to receive only one poem email each week, reply to this email and change the Subject

to "Friday Only".> Canceling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".>