Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

[Poetry Chaikhana] Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel - God Pursues Me Everywhere

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A Poem sent in by Ivan by a great Jewish Mystic

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

God Pursues Me Everywhere

By Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel(1907 - 1972)

English version by Rabbi Zalman M. Schacter-Shalomi

God pursues me everywhere,Enmeshes me in glances,And blinds my sightless back like flaming sun.God, like a forest dense, pursues me.My lips are ever tender, mute, so amazed,So like a child lost in an ancient sacred grove.God pursues me like a silent shudder.I wish for tranquility and rest -- He urges; come!And see -- how visions walk like the homeless on the streets.My thoughts walk about like a vagrant mystery --Walks through the world's long corridor.At times I see God's featureless face hovering over me.God pursues me in the streetcars and cafesEvery shining apple is my crystal sphere to seeHow mysteries are born and vision came to be.- from "Human, God's Ineffable Name," by Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel, freely rendered by Rabbi Zalman M. Schacter-Shalomi. Available from the Reb Zalman Legacy Project

/ Photo by lonelyhome /

============

Thought for the Day:

We become what we love.Everything else is just movement.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Manose

Suskera Solo Bamboo Flute

Listen / Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -God pursues me everywhere,Enmeshes me in glances...This evening begins the observance of Tish B'av, the day when the Jewish people remember the terrible tragedies they have survived. A good opportunity to share this poem by Rabbi Heschel (in a translation by the wonderful modern-day teacher, Rabbi Zalman M. Schacter-Shalomi).And see -- how visions walk like the homeless on the streets.So often we want life to be easy, a series of triumphs, and that's natural. But we can't let our desire for that vision of life blind us to the terrible tragedies -- personal and planetary -- that also mark us. The human soul is an immense being, one that must be able to incorporate trauma as well as joy, and somehow make of those elements a great, complex work of art that is the evolving self. Many blessings.Ivan

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter

www.Poetry-Chaikhana.com

Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".