IndiaDivine.org

Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge:

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Dear Michael,

I always value your comments. I will pass on your appreciation to Ivan.

Yours in Bhagavan,

with love,

Alan--- On Mon, 15/6/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindelRe: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Date: Monday, 15 June, 2009, 4:27 PM

Dear Alan

tku for sharing with the sangha these incredible "poems"

they state what is in the heart of hearts in this person

and special thanks to you, der friend!

For choosing what you send....

this is an incredible value for walking the walk

be embraced in gratitude

a n d

if possible let Ivan know how this work is appreciated. .....

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

Alan Jacobs

Monday, June 15, 2009 5:02 PM

A very useful poem from a great Sufi sent by our friend Ivan- see his notes at the foot.

Here's your Daily Poem from the Poetry Chaikhana --

Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge:

By Yunus Emre(1238 - 1320)

English version by Nam k Kemal Zeybek

Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Knowledge means to know yourself, heart and soul.If you have failed to understand yourself, Then all of your reading has missed its call.What is the purpose of reading those books? So that Man can know the All-Powerful. If you have read, but failed to understand,Then your efforts are just a barren toil.Don't boast of reading, mastering science Or of all your prayers and obeisance.If you don't identify Man as God, All your learning is of no use at all.The true meaning of the four holy books Is found in the alphabet's first letter.You talk about that first letter, preacher; What is the meaning of that-could you tell?Yunus Emre says to you, Pharisee, Make the holy pilgrimage if need be A hundred times -- but if you ask me,A visit to the heart is

best of all.

/ Photo by whatmegsaid /

============

Thought for the Day:

Find the magicin the moment.

============

Here's your Daily Music selection --

Riffat Sultana

Sufi Folk and Love Songs

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Yunus Emre is considered by many to be one of the most important Turkish poets. Little can be said for certain of his life other than that he was a Sufi dervish of Anatolia. The love people have for his liberating poetry is reflected in the fact that many villages claim to be his birthplace, and many others claim to hold his tomb.His poetry expresses a deep personal mysticism and humanism and love for God.He was a contemporary of Rumi, who lived in the same region. Rumi composed his collection of stories and songs for a well-educated urban circle of Sufis, writing primarily in the literary language of Persian. Yunus Emre, on the other hand, traveled and taught among the rural poor, singing his songs in the Turkish language of the common people.A story is told of a meeting between the two great souls: Rumi asked Yunus Emre what he thought of his great work

the Mathnawi. Yunus Emre said, "Excellent, excellent! But I would have done it differently. " Surprised, Rumi asked how. Yunus replied, "I would have written, 'I came from the eternal, clothed myself in flesh, and took the name Yunus.'" That story perfectly illustrates Yunus Emre's simple, direct approach that has made him so beloved.---Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Knowledge means to know yourself, heart and soul.If you have failed to understand yourself, Then all of your reading has missed its call.Sages of all lands keep reminding us that the spiritual journey is a journey of awareness, and specifically self-awareness. It is not a journey of acquisition. Or intellect. Or adherence to rules.It is not a matter of how many books we've read. Or how many times we've read them. The only question of any value is whether we've yet recognized their truths... within ourselves.It is

not a matter of how often you pray. Or how perfectly you enunciate each prescribed word. The question is, have you discovered how the prayer wells up within you on its own.Make the holy pilgrimage if need be A hundred times -- but if you ask me,A visit to the heart is best of all...Follow each prescribed step of the journey, and bring your books, but what you seek is found only and always in the heart of the heart.Ivan

Support the Poetry Chaikhana

Donations to the Poetry Chaikhana in any amount are always welcome. Thank you!

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.70/2177 - Release 06/15/09 05:54:00

Guest guest

Prasanth Jalasutram wrote:

>

>

> Alan Sir,

>

>

> Nice poem indeed.

>

> Want to add few imp quotes spoken by Ramana Maharshi regarding

> acquiring knowledge....

>

> In verse 34 of Ulladu Narpadu Anubandham Sri Ramana says:

>

> For people of little intelligence, wife, children and others [other

> relatives] form [just] one family. [However] know that in the mind of

> people who have vast learning, there are not [just] one [but] many

> families [in the form] of books [that stand] as obstacles to yoga

> [spiritual practice].

>

> In verse 36 of Ulladu Narpadu Anubandham Sri Ramana says:

>

> Rather than people who though learned have not subsided [surrendered

> or become subdued, humble

> or still], the unlearned are saved. They are saved from the ghost of

> pride that possesses [the learned]. They are saved from the disease of

> many whirling thoughts. They are saved from running in search of fame

> [repute, respect, esteem or glory]. Know that what they are saved from

> is not [just] one [evil].

>

:)

Thorny Words

bless you, oh beloved,

for inspiring the words of the wise

without which i could not

discard all words

like thorns removing thorns…

and for ever after

to melt and to dissolve

within your ever-present

silent

loving

laughter.

oh beloved,

bless you a million times

for revealing to the simple

what is concealed

forever

from the intelligent

and clever!

yosy

Guest guest

Dear Yosy,

There is a poetic rose flowering in the midst of your thorny words! Thanks a

mill.

Love,

Alan

--- On Tue, 16/6/09, Yosy Flug <yosyflug wrote:

> Yosy Flug <yosyflug

> Re: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean

a full grasp of knowledge:

>

> Tuesday, 16 June, 2009, 2:02 AM

> Prasanth Jalasutram wrote:

> >

> >

> > Alan Sir,

> >

> >

> > Nice poem indeed.

> >

> > Want to add few imp quotes spoken by Ramana Maharshi

> regarding

> > acquiring knowledge....

> >

> > In verse 34 of Ulladu Narpadu Anubandham Sri Ramana

> says:

> >

> > For people of little intelligence, wife, children and

> others [other

> > relatives] form [just] one family. [However] know that

> in the mind of

> > people who have vast learning, there are not [just]

> one [but] many

> > families [in the form] of books [that stand] as

> obstacles to yoga

> > [spiritual practice].

> >

> > In verse 36 of Ulladu Narpadu Anubandham Sri Ramana

> says:

> >

> > Rather than people who though learned have not

> subsided [surrendered

> > or become subdued, humble

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> or still], the unlearned are saved. They are saved

> from the ghost of

> > pride that possesses [the learned]. They are saved

> from the disease of

> > many whirling thoughts. They are saved from running in

> search of fame

> > [repute, respect, esteem or glory]. Know that what

> they are saved from

> > is not [just] one [evil].

> >

:)

> Thorny Words

>

> bless you, oh beloved,

> for inspiring the words of the wise

> without which i could not

> discard all words

> like thorns removing thorns…

> and for ever after

> to melt and to dissolve

> within your ever-present

> silent

> loving

> laughter.

>

> oh beloved,

> bless you a million times

> for revealing to the simple

> what is concealed

> forever

> from the intelligent

> and clever!

>

>

> yosy

>

>

>

>

> ---

>

> is supported by . New articles are

> added there on a continuous basis. Please register at . You

will be kept updated and get

> the new articles which are posted on the site very nicely

> formatted in your e-mail.

>

> Friends, after registering at , if you wish to

> contribute your writing to the site, please let me know.

> Your articles should be original, well written, using

> subtitles, and be carefully proofread and polished. For a

> list of topics considered, please go to and take a look at

the site. Thanks.

>

>

> Namaste and love to all

> Harsha

>

Guest guest

Too much reading may lead to spiritual indigestion. Th best remedy in that case is outward and inward Silence.

love

ramesh

--- On Mon, 6/15/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindelRe: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Date: Monday, June 15, 2009, 8:57 PM

Dear Alan

be embraced in gratitude

a n d

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

Alan Jacobs

A very useful poem from a great Sufi sent by our friend Ivan- see his notes at the foot.

Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Knowledge means to know yourself, heart and soul.If you have failed to understand yourself, Then all of your reading has missed its call.What is the purpose of reading those books? So that Man can know the All-Powerful. If you have read, but failed to understand,Then your efforts are just a barren toil.Don't boast of reading, mastering science Or of all your prayers and obeisance.If you don't identify Man as God, All your learning is of no use at all.The true meaning of the four holy books Is found in the alphabet's first letter.You talk about that first letter, preacher; What is the meaning of that-could you tell?Yunus Emre says to you, Pharisee, Make the holy pilgrimage if need be A hundred times -- but if you ask me,A visit to the heart is

best of all.

/ Photo by whatmegsaid /

============

Thought for the Day:

============

Riffat Sultana

Sufi Folk and Love Songs

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Yunus Emre is considered by many to be one of the most important Turkish poets. Little can be said for certain of his life other than that he was a Sufi dervish of Anatolia. The love people have for his liberating poetry is reflected in the fact that many villages claim to be his birthplace, and many others claim to hold his tomb.His poetry expresses a deep personal mysticism and humanism and love for God.He was a contemporary of Rumi, who lived in the same region. Rumi composed his collection of stories and songs for a well-educated urban circle of Sufis, writing primarily in the literary language of Persian. Yunus Emre, on the other hand, traveled and taught among the rural poor, singing his songs in the Turkish language of the common people.A story is told of a meeting between the two great souls: Rumi asked Yunus Emre what he thought of his great work

the Mathnawi. Yunus Emre said, "Excellent, excellent! But I would have done it differently. " Surprised, Rumi asked how. Yunus replied, "I would have written, 'I came from the eternal, clothed myself in flesh, and took the name Yunus.'" That story perfectly illustrates Yunus Emre's simple, direct approach that has made him so beloved.---Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Knowledge means to know yourself, heart and soul.If you have failed to understand yourself, Then all of your reading has missed its call.Sages of all lands keep reminding us that the spiritual journey is a journey of awareness, and specifically self-awareness. It is not a journey of acquisition. Or intellect. Or adherence to rules.It is not a matter of how many books we've read. Or how many times we've read them. The only question of any value is whether we've yet recognized their truths... within ourselves.It is

not a matter of how often you pray. Or how perfectly you enunciate each prescribed word. The question is, have you discovered how the prayer wells up within you on its own.Make the holy pilgrimage if need be A hundred times -- but if you ask me,A visit to the heart is best of all..Follow each prescribed step of the journey, and bring your books, but what you seek is found only and always in the heart of the heart.Ivan

Click here

You can also support the Poetry Chaikhana, as well as the authors and publishers of sacred poetry, by purchasing some of the recommended books through the links on this site. Thank you!

Click here

A small amount each month makes a big difference. Become a voluntary Subscriber for just $2/mo.

Click here

Help the Poetry Chaikhana reach more people. Become a Supporter for just $10/mo.

Poetry Chaikhana HomeNew | Books | Music | Teahouse | About | ContactPoets by: Name| Tradition | Timeline Poetry by: Theme | CommentaryBlog | Forum | Facebook | Twitter www.Poetry-Chaikhan a.com Poetry ChaikhanaP.O. Box 2320Boulder, CO 80306

Ivan M. Granger's original poetry, stories and commentaries are 2002 - 2008 by Ivan M. Granger.All other material is copyrighted by the respective authors, translators and/or publishers.

============

Plain Text: If you have any difficulty reading this HTML formatted email, please let me know and I can send you plain text emails instead. Cancelling: If you wish to stop receiving this Daily Poem email from the Poetry Chaikhana, simply reply to this email and change the Subject to "Cancel".

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.70/2177 - Release 06/15/09 05:54:00

Guest guest

Dear Ramesh

of course - b u t

to live in real SILENCE needs to put in practice moment to moment what we really belief in

.....no exception allowed if this SILENCE should last

in ITS Grace

michael

- ramesh chivukula

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 6:36 AM

Re: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge:

Too much reading may lead to spiritual indigestion. Th best remedy in that case is outward and inward Silence.

love

ramesh

--- On Mon, 6/15/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel (AT) t-online (DOT) hu> wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindel (AT) t-online (DOT) hu>Re: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Date: Monday, June 15, 2009, 8:57 PM

Dear Alan

be embraced in gratitude

a n d

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

Alan Jacobs

Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Knowledge means to know yourself, heart and soul.If you have failed to understand yourself, Then all of your reading has missed its call.What is the purpose of reading those books? So that Man can know the All-Powerful. If you have read, but failed to understand,Then your efforts are just a barren toil.Don't boast of reading, mastering science Or of all your prayers and obeisance.If you don't identify Man as God, All your learning is of no use at all.The true meaning of the four holy books Is found in the alphabet's first letter.You talk about that first letter, preacher; What is the meaning of that-could you tell?Yunus Emre says to you, Pharisee, Make the holy pilgrimage if need be A hundred times -- but if you ask me,A visit to the heart is best of all.

/ Photo by whatmegsaid /

============

Thought for the Day:

============

Riffat Sultana

Sufi Folk and Love Songs

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Yunus Emre is considered by many to be one of the most important Turkish poets. Little can be said for certain of his life other than that he was a Sufi dervish of Anatolia. The love people have for his liberating poetry is reflected in the fact that many villages claim to be his birthplace, and many others claim to hold his tomb.His poetry expresses a deep personal mysticism and humanism and love for God.He was a contemporary of Rumi, who lived in the same region. Rumi composed his collection of stories and songs for a well-educated urban circle of Sufis, writing primarily in the literary language of Persian. Yunus Emre, on the other hand, traveled and taught among the rural poor, singing his songs in the Turkish language of the common people.A story is told of a meeting between the two great souls: Rumi asked Yunus Emre what he thought of his great work the Mathnawi. Yunus Emre said, "Excellent, excellent! But I would have done it differently. " Surprised, Rumi asked how. Yunus replied, "I would have written, 'I came from the eternal, clothed myself in flesh, and took the name Yunus.'" That story perfectly illustrates Yunus Emre's simple, direct approach that has made him so beloved.---Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Knowledge means to know yourself, heart and soul.If you have failed to understand yourself, Then all of your reading has missed its call.Sages of all lands keep reminding us that the spiritual journey is a journey of awareness, and specifically self-awareness. It is not a journey of acquisition. Or intellect. Or adherence to rules.It is not a matter of how many books we've read. Or how many times we've read them. The only question of any value is whether we've yet recognized their truths... within ourselves.It is not a matter of how often you pray. Or how perfectly you enunciate each prescribed word. The question is, have you discovered how the prayer wells up within you on its own.Make the holy pilgrimage if need be A hundred times -- but if you ask me,A visit to the heart is best of all..Follow each prescribed step of the journey, and bring your books, but what you seek is found only and always in the heart of the heart.Ivan

Click here

Click here

Click here

============

Guest guest

Dear Michael ,

Of course ..even the desire of silence comes only from understanding.

Agreed it is not possible 100 % , but as much as our samsaric ( dutiful)

life allows. Greater the silence , more the peace.

love

ramesh

--- On Tue, 6/16/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindelFw: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Date: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 11:46 AM

Dear Ramesh

of course - b u t

to live in real SILENCE needs to put in practice moment to moment what we really belief in

in ITS Grace

michael

- ramesh chivukula

love

ramesh

--- On Mon, 6/15/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu> wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu>Re: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge:Monday, June 15, 2009, 8:57 PM

Dear Alan

be embraced in gratitude

a n d

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

Alan Jacobs

best of all.

/ Photo by whatmegsaid /

============

Thought for the Day:

============

Riffat Sultana

Sufi Folk and Love Songs

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

not a matter of how often you pray. Or how perfectly you enunciate each prescribed word. The question is, have you discovered how the prayer wells up within you on its own.Make the holy pilgrimage if need be A hundred times -- but if you ask me,A visit to the heart is best of all..Follow each prescribed step of the journey, and bring your books, but what you seek is found only and always in the heart of the heart.Ivan

Click here

Click here

Click here

============

Guest guest

Dear Ramesh

but as much as our samsaric ( dutiful) life allows

....alreadt tried to "overcome" the "limits" of this statement??

by following your HEART and not the "samsaric duties"?

could it not be that we all have to grow in a way that we "overcome" all concepts -how holy they might be -

and r e a l l y start following our HEART

if we do we are authentic

find inner peace

tranquillity

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

ramesh chivukula

Tuesday, June 16, 2009 10:14 AM

Re: Fw: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge:

Dear Michael ,

Of course ..even the desire of silence comes only from understanding.

Agreed it is not possible 100 % , but as much as our samsaric ( dutiful)

life allows. Greater the silence , more the peace.

love

ramesh

--- On Tue, 6/16/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel (AT) t-online (DOT) hu> wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindel (AT) t-online (DOT) hu>Fw: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Date: Tuesday, June 16, 2009, 11:46 AM

Dear Ramesh

of course - b u t

in ITS Grace

michael

- ramesh chivukula

love

ramesh

--- On Mon, 6/15/09, Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu> wrote:

Michael Bindel <michael.bindel@ t-online. hu>Re: Yunus Emre - Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge:Monday, June 15, 2009, 8:57 PM

Dear Alan

be embraced in gratitude

a n d

in Sri Ramana Maharshi

michael

-

Alan Jacobs

Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Knowledge means to know yourself, heart and soul.If you have failed to understand yourself, Then all of your reading has missed its call.What is the purpose of reading those books? So that Man can know the All-Powerful. If you have read, but failed to understand,Then your efforts are just a barren toil.Don't boast of reading, mastering science Or of all your prayers and obeisance.If you don't identify Man as God, All your learning is of no use at all.The true meaning of the four holy books Is found in the alphabet's first letter.You talk about that first letter, preacher; What is the meaning of that-could you tell?Yunus Emre says to you, Pharisee, Make the holy pilgrimage if need be A hundred times -- but if you ask me,A visit to the heart is best of all.

/ Photo by whatmegsaid /

============

Thought for the Day:

============

Riffat Sultana

Sufi Folk and Love Songs

Listen - Purchase

More Music Selections

Hi Alan -Yunus Emre is considered by many to be one of the most important Turkish poets. Little can be said for certain of his life other than that he was a Sufi dervish of Anatolia. The love people have for his liberating poetry is reflected in the fact that many villages claim to be his birthplace, and many others claim to hold his tomb.His poetry expresses a deep personal mysticism and humanism and love for God.He was a contemporary of Rumi, who lived in the same region. Rumi composed his collection of stories and songs for a well-educated urban circle of Sufis, writing primarily in the literary language of Persian. Yunus Emre, on the other hand, traveled and taught among the rural poor, singing his songs in the Turkish language of the common people.A story is told of a meeting between the two great souls: Rumi asked Yunus Emre what he thought of his great work the Mathnawi. Yunus Emre said, "Excellent, excellent! But I would have done it differently. " Surprised, Rumi asked how. Yunus replied, "I would have written, 'I came from the eternal, clothed myself in flesh, and took the name Yunus.'" That story perfectly illustrates Yunus Emre's simple, direct approach that has made him so beloved.---Knowledge should mean a full grasp of knowledge: Knowledge means to know yourself, heart and soul.If you have failed to understand yourself, Then all of your reading has missed its call.Sages of all lands keep reminding us that the spiritual journey is a journey of awareness, and specifically self-awareness. It is not a journey of acquisition. Or intellect. Or adherence to rules.It is not a matter of how many books we've read. Or how many times we've read them. The only question of any value is whether we've yet recognized their truths... within ourselves.It is not a matter of how often you pray. Or how perfectly you enunciate each prescribed word. The question is, have you discovered how the prayer wells up within you on its own.Make the holy pilgrimage if need be A hundred times -- but if you ask me,A visit to the heart is best of all..Follow each prescribed step of the journey, and bring your books, but what you seek is found only and always in the heart of the heart.Ivan

Click here

Click here

Click here

============

Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.339 / Virus Database: 270.12.71/2178 - Release 06/15/09 17:54:00