IndiaDivine.org

Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

i would assume it said "relax"

jo Jul 9, 2008 2:27 PM Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Did it say what it means?

Jo

-

Lena

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 4:07 PM

Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

My English-Russian dictionary already contains the word "unlax", marked as "American English" and "informal", but still... , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> Is there such a word as unlax? what language is this facile piece of drivel?> Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy> > The British papers are having a field day with photos of Oprah Winfrey eating and drinking while vacationing in Italy. > And they can't help point out that she's packing in the pasta and packing on the pounds, after her recent self-imposed 21-day vegan detox cleanse inspired by "Quantum Wellness."> OK, so she looks a little heftier than she did, above, at "The Great Debaters" premiere in December 2007. > But leave our O-Win alone! Can't a girl unlax and enjoy her European vacation? > Everyone puts on weight on a vay-kay, right? > I've never known anyone to lose any on a trip to Italy.> Â > Peter vv> > > ________> Not happy with your email address?.> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html>

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

i know i know

pretend english is my tertiary language....

i wasn't calling you the knave...

my fingers type slower then my brain.....

jo Jul 9, 2008 3:45 PM Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

but I'm not a knave!

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, July 09, 2008 9:56 PM

Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Mine honor hath been besmirched!

and you turtle poop, i was calling Jo the knave...sheesh

Peter VV Jul 9, 2008 10:33 AM Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Well, that certainly was a mixture of percived olde English, and nonsense.And as for calling Jo a knave, well, well well.........

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Wednesday, 9 July, 2008 3:46:17 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Verily, and yon varlet shouldst hath his scribers instrument taken in twain

prithee, how else can we protect our gentle speak from thee knave...

heartwerk Jul 8, 2008 11:51 PM @gro ups.com Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Well - maybe we like language to make sense.If there had been such a word as 'unlax' it would mean 'tighten'.So this person is saying that while on holiday Oprah should be allowed to tighten. I'm sure we can all see the stupidity of this, as he/she presumably meant that Oprah should be allowed to relax (the exact opposite of tighten).If a person is a professional writer they should be able to express themselves correctly and use correct English (if that is the language they are apparently using).JoWith the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Not happy with your email address? Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

Guest guest

methinks its a combination/contraction of unwind and relax...

Lena Jul 10, 2008 1:15 AM Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

It says "unlax" means the same as "relax" (they also give an example: "I just can't wait to get home and unlax."), which is weird provided that they have these very different prefixes.I can't think of any other pair of English words which begin with re-and un- and have the same meaning. , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Did it say what it means?> > Jo> > - > Lena > > Wednesday, July 09, 2008 4:07 PM> Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy> > > My English-Russian dictionary already contains the word "unlax", > marked as "American English" and "informal", but still...> > , Peter VV <swpgh01@> wrote:> >> > Is there such a word as unlax? what language is this facile piece > of drivel?> > Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy> > > > The British papers are having a field day with photos of Oprah > Winfrey eating and drinking while vacationing in Italy. > > And they can't help point out that she's packing in the pasta and > packing on the pounds, after her recent self-imposed 21-day vegan > detox cleanse inspired by "Quantum Wellness."> > OK, so she looks a little heftier than she did, above, at "The > Great Debaters" premiere in December 2007. > > But leave our O-Win alone! Can't a girl unlax and enjoy her > European vacation? > > Everyone puts on weight on a vay-kay, right? > > I've never known anyone to lose any on a trip to Italy.> > Â > > Peter vv> > > > > > ________> > Not happy with your email address?.> > Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses > available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html> >>

Guest guest

HmmmProblem being, that words in English have certain roots (i.e. etymology). So, " lax " as the suffix of the word " relax " comes from latin, and means " loose " or " slack " . " Re " is a common prefix meaning " to return to " ... therefore, relax makes perfect sense in its etymological roots: " to return to a state of looseness " .

" Un " , on the other hand, means " to move away from " , so " unlax " etymologically means " to move away from a state of looseness " ... i.e. to tense up. No matter how you look at it, it can't etymologically make sense any other way!

BBPeter2008/7/10 fraggle <EBbrewpunx:

Guest guest

It can't really mean the same thing, as un makes the word mean tense. Tut tut! :-)

Jo

-

Lena

Thursday, July 10, 2008 9:15 AM

It says "unlax" means the same as "relax" (they also give an example: "I just can't wait to get home and unlax."), which is weird provided that they have these very different prefixes.I can't think of any other pair of English words which begin with re-and un- and have the same meaning. , "jo" <jo.heartwork wrote:>> Did it say what it means?> > Jo> > - > Lena > > Wednesday, July 09, 2008 4:07 PM> Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy> > > My English-Russian dictionary already contains the word "unlax", > marked as "American English" and "informal", but still...> > , Peter VV <swpgh01@> wrote:> >> > Is there such a word as unlax? what language is this facile piece > of drivel?> > Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy> > > > The British papers are having a field day with photos of Oprah > Winfrey eating and drinking while vacationing in Italy. > > And they can't help point out that she's packing in the pasta and > packing on the pounds, after her recent self-imposed 21-day vegan > detox cleanse inspired by "Quantum Wellness."> > OK, so she looks a little heftier than she did, above, at "The > Great Debaters" premiere in December 2007. > > But leave our O-Win alone! Can't a girl unlax and enjoy her > European vacation? > > Everyone puts on weight on a vay-kay, right? > > I've never known anyone to lose any on a trip to Italy.> > Â > > Peter vv> > > > > > ________> > Not happy with your email address?.> > Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses > available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html> >>

Guest guest

It certainly can't make sense. What is wrong with the chap when he can't just say what he means with the correct word.

Jo

-

Peter Kebbell

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:35 PM

HmmmProblem being, that words in English have certain roots (i.e. etymology). So, "lax" as the suffix of the word "relax" comes from latin, and means "loose" or "slack". "Re" is a common prefix meaning "to return to"... therefore, relax makes perfect sense in its etymological roots: "to return to a state of looseness"."Un", on the other hand, means "to move away from", so "unlax" etymologically means "to move away from a state of looseness"... i.e. to tense up. No matter how you look at it, it can't etymologically make sense any other way!BBPeter

2008/7/10 fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net>:

Guest guest

i swear you, peter and peter were all grammar school teachers in a former life

good thing ya'll weren't here for the Ebonics debates several yrs back out here....

jo Jul 10, 2008 10:39 AM Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

I wonder what they would base that on though - there is no sense to it at all.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, July 10, 2008 3:18 PM

jo Jul 9, 2008 2:27 PM Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Jo

-

Lena

My English-Russian dictionary already contains the word "unlax", marked as "American English" and "informal", but still... , Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:>> Is there such a word as unlax? what language is this facile piece of drivel?> Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy> > The British papers are having a field day with photos of Oprah Winfrey eating and drinking while vacationing in Italy. > And they can't help point out that she's packing in the pasta and packing on the pounds, after her recent self-imposed 21-day vegan detox cleanse inspired by "Quantum Wellness."> OK, so she looks a little heftier than she did, above, at "The Great Debaters" premiere in December 2007. > But leave our O-Win alone! Can't a girl unlax and enjoy her European vacation? > Everyone puts on weight on a vay-kay, right? > I've never known anyone to lose any on a trip to Italy.> Â > Peter vv> > > ________> Not happy with your email address?.> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at http://uk.docs./ymail/new.html>

Guest guest

Was that another thinly vieled insult?

You realy should try harder.

4 / 10 for effort.

See me after school master Fraggle.

Peter vv

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Thursday, 10 July, 2008 8:03:57 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

good thing ya'll weren't here for the Ebonics debates several yrs back out here....

jo Jul 10, 2008 10:39 AM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Jo

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

jo Jul 9, 2008 2:27 PM @gro ups.com Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Jo

-

Lena

@gro ups.com

My English-Russian dictionary already contains the word "unlax", marked as "American English" and "informal", but still...@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Is there such a word as unlax? what language is this facile piece of drivel?> Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy> > The British papers are having a field day with photos of Oprah Winfrey eating and drinking while vacationing in Italy. > And they can't help point out that she's packing in the pasta and packing on the pounds, after her recent self-imposed 21-day vegan detox cleanse inspired by "Quantum Wellness."> OK, so she looks a little heftier than she did, above, at "The Great Debaters" premiere in December 2007. > But leave our O-Win

alone! Can't a girl unlax and enjoy her European vacation? > Everyone puts on weight on a vay-kay, right? > I've never known anyone to lose any on a trip to Italy.> Â > Peter vv> > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Not happy with your email address?.> Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at http://uk.docs. / ymail/new. html>

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

I think its some kind of Terrets?

Peter vv

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Thursday, 10 July, 2008 7:39:22 PMRe: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

It certainly can't make sense. What is wrong with the chap when he can't just say what he means with the correct word.

Jo

-

Peter Kebbell

@gro ups.com

Thursday, July 10, 2008 4:35 PM

HmmmProblem being, that words in English have certain roots (i.e. etymology). So, "lax" as the suffix of the word "relax" comes from latin, and means "loose" or "slack". "Re" is a common prefix meaning "to return to"... therefore, relax makes perfect sense in its etymological roots: "to return to a state of looseness"."Un", on the other hand, means "to move away from", so "unlax" etymologically means "to move away from a state of looseness".. . i.e. to tense up. No matter how you look at it, it can't etymologically make sense any other way!BBPeter

2008/7/10 fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>:

methinks its a combination/ contraction of unwind and relax...

Not happy with your email address?

Get the one you really want - millions of new email addresses available now at

Guest guest

LOL - I've always liked good grammar - and I do work for an exam board.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, July 10, 2008 8:03 PM

jo Jul 10, 2008 10:39 AM Re: Re: Post-vegan cleanse, Oprah eats her way through Italy

Jo

-

fraggle

Jo

-

Lena