IndiaDivine.org
Sign in to follow this  
Guest guest

Mosquito device divides opinion

Rate this topic

Guest guest

A high-pitched device that is generally only heard by people under the age of 25 and used to disperse groups of youths is causing controversy. Amid calls in England and Scotland for a ban on the Mosquito device, a shopkeeper and a teenager give their points of view.

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

The device has dramatically reduced the problem, says Mr Gough

Robert Gough runs a Spar convenience store in Barry, south Wales. His was the first premises to use the Mosquito device. We have had the Mosquito for two years. It was tested here. The problem we have is large gangs of youths that congregate in the entrance way - hanging around, drinking, and I know other narcotics can be involved. It ranges from them being annoying to intimidating customers and staff to outright physical assault. One customer has been mugged for their alcohol, and in the time I have been here there have been three occasions where someone has tried to stab me. The problem comes and goes. When it gets bad it generally lasts for three of four weeks. At certain times before we counted over 40 people outside the shop. The Mosquito has reduced the problem massively. It still happens, but nowhere near the same amount. It has had a positive effect. Customers have praised us for it.

Where they have moved on to I'm not quite sure. At the moment we have the device on a timer, but we can override it. Once it comes on in the early evening it stays on until the shop shuts at 11pm. It's the hardest problem to deal with. With a shoplifter you confront them and they either run off or they stay while you wait for the police. But when you have a gang of youths there's always going to be someone who, surrounded by the mates and showing off, will escalate the situation. Even if they ban the use of the device I am going to continue to use it, it's just so important, there's no way I could do without it now.

BARRY, TEENAGE CAMPAIGNER

Barry from Corby, Northamptonshire, is one of several young people who say they have been affected by the device and are leading the Buzz Off campaign - launched by the National Youth Agency and human rights group Liberty.

I don't like it because it is discriminatory towards young people. Because it only targets people under the age of 25, which could mean any young person. What shopkeepers need to consider is young people are their customers as well and they could end up losing a lot of money by moving people along. Because even if they go in a shop they will still hear the device. In our campaign, we are targeting anyone who agrees with the Mosquito device, to try and change their opinion so that they agree with us, because frankly I just think they're terrible.

Youth clubs would be a better answer, says Barry

If it was aimed at adults then everyone would be upset about it, but because it's young people no-one really cares. There's adults who cause trouble as well, there a lot of anti-social behaviour caused by adults outside pubs when they come out as well. I'd use things like CCTV cameras, because that picks up whoever's causing the problem. And use youth workers, who can go and talk to the young people and find out what they need and see what the problem is. I know that anti-social behaviour is a problem but I just don't believe that Mosquito devices are the way to tackle it. There isn't actually enough to do. Where I live there's a youth club that's only on one night a week. If it was on every night of the week then we'd have more to do. We need to have more youth agencies, more places for young people to go to just sit and have fun with their friends. Play pool, watch TV, play computer games and stuff. I do believe that is a good idea. I think people are being unfair by installing the Mosquito devices because just because there's a group of people, they could be there for any reason. They could be waiting for another friend to come to the shop so they can meet up and go somewhere else. I just don't think adults remember what it's like anymore. Times have changed.

Peter H

Sent from - a smarter inbox.

Guest guest

I think it's disgraceful. Not all youngsters are troublemakers or troublesome, and they should not be treated in such a fashion. How would we feel if there was something similar that affected only 40 year olds or 50 , or 60? or black people or white people etc. etc.

When I was at school if someone did something wrong and didn't own up every child in the class got a slap on the leg with a ruler. It's a pity we haven't moved on a little in our thinking.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:56 PM

Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

A high-pitched device that is generally only heard by people under the age of 25 and used to disperse groups of youths is causing controversy. Amid calls in England and Scotland for a ban on the Mosquito device, a shopkeeper and a teenager give their points of view.

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Robert Gough runs a Spar convenience store in Barry, south Wales. His was the first premises to use the Mosquito device. We have had the Mosquito for two years. It was tested here. The problem we have is large gangs of youths that congregate in the entrance way - hanging around, drinking, and I know other narcotics can be involved. It ranges from them being annoying to intimidating customers and staff to outright physical assault. One customer has been mugged for their alcohol, and in the time I have been here there have been three occasions where someone has tried to stab me. The problem comes and goes. When it gets bad it generally lasts for three of four weeks. At certain times before we counted over 40 people outside the shop. The Mosquito has reduced the problem massively. It still happens, but nowhere near the same amount. It has had a positive effect. Customers have praised us for it.

Where they have moved on to I'm not quite sure. At the moment we have the device on a timer, but we can override it. Once it comes on in the early evening it stays on until the shop shuts at 11pm. It's the hardest problem to deal with. With a shoplifter you confront them and they either run off or they stay while you wait for the police. But when you have a gang of youths there's always going to be someone who, surrounded by the mates and showing off, will escalate the situation. Even if they ban the use of the device I am going to continue to use it, it's just so important, there's no way I could do without it now.

Barry from Corby, Northamptonshire, is one of several young people who say they have been affected by the device and are leading the Buzz Off campaign - launched by the National Youth Agency and human rights group Liberty.

I don't like it because it is discriminatory towards young people. Because it only targets people under the age of 25, which could mean any young person. What shopkeepers need to consider is young people are their customers as well and they could end up losing a lot of money by moving people along. Because even if they go in a shop they will still hear the device. In our campaign, we are targeting anyone who agrees with the Mosquito device, to try and change their opinion so that they agree with us, because frankly I just think they're terrible.

If it was aimed at adults then everyone would be upset about it, but because it's young people no-one really cares. There's adults who cause trouble as well, there a lot of anti-social behaviour caused by adults outside pubs when they come out as well. I'd use things like CCTV cameras, because that picks up whoever's causing the problem. And use youth workers, who can go and talk to the young people and find out what they need and see what the problem is. I know that anti-social behaviour is a problem but I just don't believe that Mosquito devices are the way to tackle it. There isn't actually enough to do. Where I live there's a youth club that's only on one night a week. If it was on every night of the week then we'd have more to do. We need to have more youth agencies, more places for young people to go to just sit and have fun with their friends. Play pool, watch TV, play computer games and stuff. I do believe that is a good idea. I think people are being unfair by installing the Mosquito devices because just because there's a group of people, they could be there for any reason. They could be waiting for another friend to come to the shop so they can meet up and go somewhere else. I just don't think adults remember what it's like anymore. Times have changed.

Peter H

Guest guest

I dont know, If they stuck them everywhere indiscriminately , then yes. But if they have known trouble spots where kids bored out of their skulls have been known to congregate just to get pissed/high and terrorise the neighbourhood, then why not? Its a lot less harmfull than violent means....

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:12:20 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

I think it's disgraceful. Not all youngsters are troublemakers or troublesome, and they should not be treated in such a fashion. How would we feel if there was something similar that affected only 40 year olds or 50 , or 60? or black people or white people etc. etc.

When I was at school if someone did something wrong and didn't own up every child in the class got a slap on the leg with a ruler. It's a pity we haven't moved on a little in our thinking.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

Surely it just sends the troublemakers to a place a little way away - it doesn't really solve any problems.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:22 PM

I dont know, If they stuck them everywhere indiscriminately , then yes. But if they have known trouble spots where kids bored out of their skulls have been known to congregate just to get pissed/high and terrorise the neighbourhood, then why not? Its a lot less harmfull than violent means....

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:12:20 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

If it keeps them away from families with young kids etc I`m all for it.

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:27:16 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Surely it just sends the troublemakers to a place a little way away - it doesn't really solve any problems.

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:12:20 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

couldn't just give the kids something to do? i guess that would be wrong

lets just move them along somewhere else...

Peter VV Feb 12, 2008 11:22 AM Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:12:20 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

Confucius

Guest guest

thats pretty self centered mr peter if i may so so....

Peter VV Feb 12, 2008 11:43 AM Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:27:16 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:12:20 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Confucius

Guest guest

ok, i know yer kidding, but, thats pretty messed up

so, i guess we all shouldn't care about anything, too little too late...why try, i mean, the pollution is already out there, the wars already started, the cows already on the killing room floor...i'm heading to burger king....................

come on peter...

maybe someone should i dunno, ask these so called trouble makers why the hanging out, and what they would rather do

but, i guess you were a model kid and NEVER did anything wrong as a teen, yup, lil welshian angel, helping old ladies across the coal mine and all that there..........

Peter VV Feb 12, 2008 12:14 PM Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Too many, too late to give them something to do. Would cost a fortune also.

Maybe herd them to a soylent green factory.......:)

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:11:59 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Peter VV Feb 12, 2008 11:22 AM @gro ups.com Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Sent from - a smarter inbox. Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Confucius

Guest guest

Ha,ha,ha,ha...........

Where I live has been in decline so long, must be on its way back up soon! The government couldnt afford / or have the inclination to do anything in communities like mine. Drugs are the main issue round here, worse than ever. At least the gang culture ( violent gang culture ) ended in the 70`s, was a wierd period of town gang against town gang for no reason other than they were from different towns?!

And I was never in any Welsh chapter, thank you Fraggle............

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:22:18 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

so, i guess we all shouldn't care about anything, too little too late...why try, i mean, the pollution is already out there, the wars already started, the cows already on the killing room floor...i'm heading to burger king........ ......... ...

come on peter...

maybe someone should i dunno, ask these so called trouble makers why the hanging out, and what they would rather do

but, i guess you were a model kid and NEVER did anything wrong as a teen, yup, lil welshian angel, helping old ladies across the coal mine and all that there....... ...

Peter VV Feb 12, 2008 12:14 PM @gro ups.com Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Maybe herd them to a soylent green factory..... ..:)

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comTuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:11:59 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Sent from - a smarter inbox. Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. Confucius

Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with for Good

Guest guest

just don't picture drugs in wales.....

don't the sheep get jealous?

Peter VV Feb 12, 2008 12:32 PM Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Ha,ha,ha,ha...........

Where I live has been in decline so long, must be on its way back up soon! The government couldnt afford / or have the inclination to do anything in communities like mine. Drugs are the main issue round here, worse than ever. At least the gang culture ( violent gang culture ) ended in the 70`s, was a wierd period of town gang against town gang for no reason other than they were from different towns?!

And I was never in any Welsh chapter, thank you Fraggle............

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) net> Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:22:18 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

so, i guess we all shouldn't care about anything, too little too late...why try, i mean, the pollution is already out there, the wars already started, the cows already on the killing room floor...i'm heading to burger king........ ......... ...

come on peter...

but, i guess you were a model kid and NEVER did anything wrong as a teen, yup, lil welshian angel, helping old ladies across the coal mine and all that there....... ...

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comTuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:11:59 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Confucius

Guest guest

I thought you said it kept them away from a shop - probably sends them to areas where there are small children.

Incidentally there are older people who can hear this frequency - Peter would be one of them.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Tuesday, February 12, 2008 7:43 PM

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:27:16 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

that explains why he came running when i blew my dog whistle.................

i could see this turning into a new game "hey, lets go see who can hang out the longest under that annoying bug nosie thingee. Dang it, Deaf Jim has us at a disadvantage...."

jo Feb 12, 2008 6:25 PM Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

I thought you said it kept them away from a shop - probably sends them to areas where there are small children.

Incidentally there are older people who can hear this frequency - Peter would be one of them.

Jo

-

Peter VV

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork > Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:27:16 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Confucius

Guest guest

Are you sure you don't have violent gangs - most towns do.

Jo

, Peter VV <swpgh01 wrote:

>

> Ha,ha,ha,ha...........

> Where I live has been in decline so long, must be on its way back

up soon! The government couldnt afford / or have the inclination to

do anything in communities like mine. Drugs are the main issue round

here, worse than ever. At least the gang culture ( violent gang

culture ) ended in the 70`s, was a wierd period of town gang against

town gang for no reason other than they were from different towns?!

> And I was never in any Welsh chapter, thank you Fraggle............

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx

>

> Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:22:18 PM

> Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

>

> ok, i know yer kidding, but, thats pretty messed up

> so, i guess we all shouldn't care about anything, too little too

late...why try, i mean, the pollution is already out there, the wars

already started, the cows already on the killing room floor...i'm

heading to burger king........ ......... ...

> come on peter...

> maybe someone should i dunno, ask these so called trouble makers

why the hanging out, and what they would rather do

> but, i guess you were a model kid and NEVER did anything wrong as a

teen, yup, lil welshian angel, helping old ladies across the coal

mine and all that there....... ...

>

>

>

>

> Peter VV

> Feb 12, 2008 12:14 PM

> @gro ups.com

>

>

> Too many, too late to give them something to do. Would cost a

fortune also.

> Maybe herd them to a soylent green factory..... ..:)

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:11:59 PM

>

>

> couldn't just give the kids something to do? i guess that would be

wrong

> lets just move them along somewhere else...

>

>

>

>

> Peter VV

> Feb 12, 2008 11:22 AM

> @gro ups.com

>

>

> I dont know, If they stuck them everywhere indiscriminately , then

yes. But if they have known trouble spots where kids bored out of

their skulls have been known to congregate just to get pissed/high

and terrorise the neighbourhood, then why not? Its a lot less

harmfull than violent means....

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

>

> jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:12:20 PM

>

>

> 

> I think it's disgraceful. Not all youngsters are troublemakers or

troublesome, and they should not be treated in such a fashion. How

would we feel if there was something similar that affected only 40

year olds or 50 , or 60? or black people or white people etc. etc.

>

> When I was at school if someone did something wrong and didn't own

up every child in the class got a slap on the leg with a ruler. It's

a pity we haven't moved on a little in our thinking.

>

> Jo

> -

> Peter VV

> @gro ups.com

> Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:56 PM

>

>

> A high-pitched device that is generally only heard by people under

the age of 25 and used to disperse groups of youths is causing

controversy. Amid calls in England and Scotland for a ban on the

Mosquito device, a shopkeeper and a teenager give their points of

view.

> ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

>

> The device has dramatically reduced the problem, says Mr Gough

> Robert Gough runs a Spar convenience store in Barry, south Wales.

His was the first premises to use the Mosquito device.

> We have had the Mosquito for two years. It was tested here.

> The problem we have is large gangs of youths that congregate in the

entrance way - hanging around, drinking, and I know other narcotics

can be involved.

> It ranges from them being annoying to intimidating customers and

staff to outright physical assault.

> One customer has been mugged for their alcohol, and in the time I

have been here there have been three occasions where someone has

tried to stab me.

> The problem comes and goes. When it gets bad it generally lasts for

three of four weeks.

> At certain times before we counted over 40 people outside the shop.

> The Mosquito has reduced the problem massively.

> It still happens, but nowhere near the same amount. It has had a

positive effect. Customers have praised us for it.

> Where they have moved on to I'm not quite sure.

> At the moment we have the device on a timer, but we can override

it. Once it comes on in the early evening it stays on until the shop

shuts at 11pm.

> It's the hardest problem to deal with. With a shoplifter you

confront them and they either run off or they stay while you wait for

the police.

> But when you have a gang of youths there's always going to be

someone who, surrounded by the mates and showing off, will escalate

the situation.

> Even if they ban the use of the device I am going to continue to

use it, it's just so important, there's no way I could do without it

now.

>

> BARRY, TEENAGE CAMPAIGNER

> Barry from Corby, Northamptonshire, is one of several young people

who say they have been affected by the device and are leading the

Buzz Off campaign - launched by the National Youth Agency and human

rights group Liberty.

> I don't like it because it is discriminatory towards young people.

Because it only targets people under the age of 25, which could mean

any young person.

> What shopkeepers need to consider is young people are their

customers as well and they could end up losing a lot of money by

moving people along.

> Because even if they go in a shop they will still hear the device.

> In our campaign, we are targeting anyone who agrees with the

Mosquito device, to try and change their opinion so that they agree

with us, because frankly I just think they're terrible.

>

> Youth clubs would be a better answer, says Barry

> If it was aimed at adults then everyone would be upset about it,

but because it's young people no-one really cares.

> There's adults who cause trouble as well, there a lot of anti-

social behaviour caused by adults outside pubs when they come out as

well.

> I'd use things like CCTV cameras, because that picks up whoever's

causing the problem. And use youth workers, who can go and talk to

the young people and find out what they need and see what the problem

is.

> I know that anti-social behaviour is a problem but I just don't

believe that Mosquito devices are the way to tackle it.

> There isn't actually enough to do. Where I live there's a youth

club that's only on one night a week. If it was on every night of the

week then we'd have more to do.

> We need to have more youth agencies, more places for young people

to go to just sit and have fun with their friends. Play pool, watch

TV, play computer games and stuff. I do believe that is a good idea.

> I think people are being unfair by installing the Mosquito devices

because just because there's a group of people, they could be there

for any reason.

> They could be waiting for another friend to come to the shop so

they can meet up and go somewhere else.

> I just don't think adults remember what it's like anymore. Times

have changed.

>

>

> Peter H

>

>

>

>

> Sent from - a smarter inbox.

>

>

>

>

>

> Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

> Confucius

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.

> Confucius

>

>

>

> _________

> Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with

For Good http://uk.promotions./forgood/

>

Guest guest

LOL :-)

They could possibly wear earplugs - would that work?

Jo

that explains why he came running when i blew my dog

whistle.................

i could see this turning into a new game " hey, lets go see who can

hang out the longest under that annoying bug nosie thingee. Dang it,

Deaf Jim has us at a disadvantage.... "

jo

Feb 12, 2008 6:25 PM

I thought you said it kept them away from a shop - probably sends

them to areas where there are small children.

Incidentally there are older people who can hear this frequency -

Peter would be one of them.

Jo

Guest guest

Oh yes, but nothing compares to the 70`s when gangs regularly arranged to meet just to fight with anything from chains , hammers to axes. A hell of a lot of people got sent down in that era (quite rightly too ). Most of the gangs are nothing major now, just kids, the organised crime now is drugs orientated smaller gangs.

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork Sent: Wednesday, 13 February, 2008 7:48:34 AM Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Are you sure you don't have violent gangs - most towns do.Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Ha,ha,ha,ha. ......... .> Where I live has been in decline so long, must be on its way back up soon! The government couldnt afford / or have the inclination to do anything in communities like mine. Drugs are the main issue round here, worse than ever. At least the gang culture ( violent gang culture ) ended in the 70`s, was a wierd period of town gang against town gang for no reason other than they were from different towns?!> And I was never in any Welsh chapter, thank you Fraggle..... ....... > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>>

@gro ups.com> Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:22:18 PM> Re: Mosquito device divides opinion> > ok, i know yer kidding, but, thats pretty messed up> so, i guess we all shouldn't care about anything, too little too late...why try, i mean, the pollution is already out there, the wars already started, the cows already on the killing room floor...i'm heading to burger king........ ......... ...> come on peter...> maybe someone should i dunno, ask these so called trouble makers why the hanging out, and what they would rather do> but, i guess you were a model kid and NEVER did anything wrong as a teen, yup, lil welshian angel, helping old ladies across the coal mine and all that there....... ...> >

> > > Peter VV > Feb 12, 2008 12:14 PM > @gro ups.com > Re: Mosquito device divides opinion > > > Too many, too late to give them something to do. Would cost a fortune also.> Maybe herd them to a soylent green factory..... ..:)> > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ earthlin k.net>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:11:59 PM> Re: Mosquito device divides opinion> > > couldn't just give the kids something to do? i guess that would be wrong> lets just move them along somewhere else...> > > > > Peter VV > Feb 12, 2008

11:22 AM > @gro ups.com > Re: Mosquito device divides opinion > > > I dont know, If they stuck them everywhere indiscriminately , then yes. But if they have known trouble spots where kids bored out of their skulls have been known to congregate just to get pissed/high and terrorise the neighbourhood, then why not? Its a lot less harmfull than violent means....> > Peter H > > > > > > jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:12:20 PM> Re: Mosquito device divides opinion> > >  > I think it's disgraceful. Not all youngsters are troublemakers or troublesome, and they should not be treated in such a fashion. How would we feel if there

was something similar that affected only 40 year olds or 50 , or 60? or black people or white people etc. etc.> > When I was at school if someone did something wrong and didn't own up every child in the class got a slap on the leg with a ruler. It's a pity we haven't moved on a little in our thinking.> > Jo> - > Peter VV > @gro ups.com > Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:56 PM> Re: Mosquito device divides opinion> > > A high-pitched device that is generally only heard by people under the age of 25 and used to disperse groups of youths is causing controversy. Amid calls in England and Scotland for a ban on the Mosquito device, a shopkeeper and a teenager give their points of view. > ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER> > The device has dramatically reduced the

problem, says Mr Gough> Robert Gough runs a Spar convenience store in Barry, south Wales. His was the first premises to use the Mosquito device. > We have had the Mosquito for two years. It was tested here. > The problem we have is large gangs of youths that congregate in the entrance way - hanging around, drinking, and I know other narcotics can be involved. > It ranges from them being annoying to intimidating customers and staff to outright physical assault. > One customer has been mugged for their alcohol, and in the time I have been here there have been three occasions where someone has tried to stab me. > The problem comes and goes. When it gets bad it generally lasts for three of four weeks. > At certain times before we counted over 40 people outside the shop. > The Mosquito has reduced the problem massively. > It still happens, but nowhere near the same

amount. It has had a positive effect. Customers have praised us for it. > Where they have moved on to I'm not quite sure. > At the moment we have the device on a timer, but we can override it. Once it comes on in the early evening it stays on until the shop shuts at 11pm. > It's the hardest problem to deal with. With a shoplifter you confront them and they either run off or they stay while you wait for the police. > But when you have a gang of youths there's always going to be someone who, surrounded by the mates and showing off, will escalate the situation. > Even if they ban the use of the device I am going to continue to use it, it's just so important, there's no way I could do without it now. > > BARRY, TEENAGE CAMPAIGNER> Barry from Corby, Northamptonshire, is one of several young people who say they have been affected by the device and are leading the

Buzz Off campaign - launched by the National Youth Agency and human rights group Liberty. > I don't like it because it is discriminatory towards young people. Because it only targets people under the age of 25, which could mean any young person. > What shopkeepers need to consider is young people are their customers as well and they could end up losing a lot of money by moving people along. > Because even if they go in a shop they will still hear the device. > In our campaign, we are targeting anyone who agrees with the Mosquito device, to try and change their opinion so that they agree with us, because frankly I just think they're terrible. > > Youth clubs would be a better answer, says Barry> If it was aimed at adults then everyone would be upset about it, but because it's young people no-one really cares. > There's adults who cause trouble as well, there a lot

of anti-social behaviour caused by adults outside pubs when they come out as well. > I'd use things like CCTV cameras, because that picks up whoever's causing the problem. And use youth workers, who can go and talk to the young people and find out what they need and see what the problem is. > I know that anti-social behaviour is a problem but I just don't believe that Mosquito devices are the way to tackle it. > There isn't actually enough to do. Where I live there's a youth club that's only on one night a week. If it was on every night of the week then we'd have more to do. > We need to have more youth agencies, more places for young people to go to just sit and have fun with their friends. Play pool, watch TV, play computer games and stuff. I do believe that is a good idea. > I think people are being unfair by installing the Mosquito devices because just because there's a

group of people, they could be there for any reason. > They could be waiting for another friend to come to the shop so they can meet up and go somewhere else. > I just don't think adults remember what it's like anymore. Times have changed. > > > Peter H > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with For Good http://uk.promotion s./ forgood/>

Guest guest

What you never seen sheep in mushroom season? why do you think people say placid as a sheep?.:)

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 9:47:49 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

just don't picture drugs in wales.....

don't the sheep get jealous?

Peter VV Feb 12, 2008 12:32 PM @gro ups.com Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Ha,ha,ha,ha. ......... .

And I was never in any Welsh chapter, thank you Fraggle..... .......

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx@earthlin k.net>@gro ups.comTuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:22:18 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

come on peter...

Peter H

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

Just to throw in my two-pennorth. I have very good hearing, and these sort of devices cause me physical pain. I think I would be very likel;y to seek legal redress against the owners of a shop who put one of these up on a route I have to walk every day!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

I wonder what sort of range they have? I mean that if they only have a say 20-30 yard range then srely the gangs will just hang about just outside the range?

Oh and the counter argument from the shop keeper to you would probably be dont walk past his shop then..:)

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 13 February, 2008 8:23:10 AMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Just to throw in my two-pennorth. I have very good hearing, and these sort of devices cause me physical pain. I think I would be very likel;y to seek legal redress against the owners of a shop who put one of these up on a route I have to walk every day!

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:27:16 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

Hi Peter

Maybe so - but legally speaking anything outside his shop is public property, and I have as much right to walk past it as he has. It is a criminal offence to cause harm to people in public space, or to do anything to unreasonably restrict their rights. So I would have the legal backing to make a stand!

Come to that, anyone has the right to get a court order to have him remove the device - if only those "under 25s" knew their rights better.... they have every right to hang out near shops, provided they don't harm or intimidate anyone in the rpocess. The shopkeeper is breaching their basic rights, not the other way around.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:02 AM

I wonder what sort of range they have? I mean that if they only have a say 20-30 yard range then srely the gangs will just hang about just outside the range?

Oh and the counter argument from the shop keeper to you would probably be dont walk past his shop then..:)

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab Sent: Wednesday, 13 February, 2008 8:23:10 AMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comTuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:27:16 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

so, what is the drug of choice/desire in yer neck of the woods then?

and earthlink is not letting me edit/clip e-mails again

argh.....

Peter VV Feb 13, 2008 12:16 AM Re: Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Oh yes, but nothing compares to the 70`s when gangs regularly arranged to meet just to fight with anything from chains , hammers to axes. A hell of a lot of people got sent down in that era (quite rightly too ). Most of the gangs are nothing major now, just kids, the organised crime now is drugs orientated smaller gangs.

Peter H

heartwerk <jo.heartwork > Sent: Wednesday, 13 February, 2008 7:48:34 AM Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Are you sure you don't have violent gangs - most towns do.Jo@gro ups.com, Peter VV <swpgh01 > wrote:>> Ha,ha,ha,ha. ......... .> Where I live has been in decline so long, must be on its way back up soon! The government couldnt afford / or have the inclination to do anything in communities like mine. Drugs are the main issue round here, worse than ever. At least the gang culture ( violent gang culture ) ended in the 70`s, was a wierd period of town gang against town gang for no reason other than they were from different towns?!> And I was never in any Welsh chapter, thank you Fraggle..... ....... > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ ...>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:22:18 PM> Re: Mosquito device divides opinion> > ok, i know yer kidding, but, thats pretty messed up> so, i guess we all shouldn't care about anything, too little too late...why try, i mean, the pollution is already out there, the wars already started, the cows already on the killing room floor...i'm heading to burger king........ ......... ...> come on peter...> maybe someone should i dunno, ask these so called trouble makers why the hanging out, and what they would rather do> but, i guess you were a model kid and NEVER did anything wrong as a teen, yup, lil welshian angel, helping old ladies across the coal mine and all that there....... ...> > > > > Peter VV > Feb 12, 2008 12:14 PM > @gro ups.com > Re: Mosquito device divides opinion > > > Too many, too late to give them something to do. Would cost a fortune also.> Maybe herd them to a soylent green factory..... ..:)> > Peter H > > > > > > fraggle <EBbrewpunx@ earthlin k.net>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 8:11:59 PM> Re: Mosquito device divides opinion> > > couldn't just give the kids something to do? i guess that would be wrong> lets just move them along somewhere else...> > > > > Peter VV > Feb 12, 2008 11:22 AM > @gro ups.com > Re: Mosquito device divides opinion > > > I dont know, If they stuck them everywhere indiscriminately , then yes. But if they have known trouble spots where kids bored out of their skulls have been known to congregate just to get pissed/high and terrorise the neighbourhood, then why not? Its a lot less harmfull than violent means....> > Peter H > > > > > > jo <jo.heartwork@ gmail.com>> @gro ups.com> Tuesday, 12 February, 2008 7:12:20 PM> Re: Mosquito device divides opinion> > >  > I think it's disgraceful. Not all youngsters are troublemakers or troublesome, and they should not be treated in such a fashion. How would we feel if there was something similar that affected only 40 year olds or 50 , or 60? or black people or white people etc. etc.> > When I was at school if someone did something wrong and didn't own up every child in the class got a slap on the leg with a ruler. It's a pity we haven't moved on a little in our thinking.> > Jo> - > Peter VV > @gro ups.com > Tuesday, February 12, 2008 5:56 PM> Re: Mosquito device divides opinion> > > A high-pitched device that is generally only heard by people under the age of 25 and used to disperse groups of youths is causing controversy. Amid calls in England and Scotland for a ban on the Mosquito device, a shopkeeper and a teenager give their points of view. > ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER> > The device has dramatically reduced the problem, says Mr Gough> Robert Gough runs a Spar convenience store in Barry, south Wales. His was the first premises to use the Mosquito device. > We have had the Mosquito for two years. It was tested here. > The problem we have is large gangs of youths that congregate in the entrance way - hanging around, drinking, and I know other narcotics can be involved. > It ranges from them being annoying to intimidating customers and staff to outright physical assault. > One customer has been mugged for their alcohol, and in the time I have been here there have been three occasions where someone has tried to stab me. > The problem comes and goes. When it gets bad it generally lasts for three of four weeks. > At certain times before we counted over 40 people outside the shop. > The Mosquito has reduced the problem massively. > It still happens, but nowhere near the same amount. It has had a positive effect. Customers have praised us for it. > Where they have moved on to I'm not quite sure. > At the moment we have the device on a timer, but we can override it. Once it comes on in the early evening it stays on until the shop shuts at 11pm. > It's the hardest problem to deal with. With a shoplifter you confront them and they either run off or they stay while you wait for the police. > But when you have a gang of youths there's always going to be someone who, surrounded by the mates and showing off, will escalate the situation. > Even if they ban the use of the device I am going to continue to use it, it's just so important, there's no way I could do without it now. > > BARRY, TEENAGE CAMPAIGNER> Barry from Corby, Northamptonshire, is one of several young people who say they have been affected by the device and are leading the Buzz Off campaign - launched by the National Youth Agency and human rights group Liberty. > I don't like it because it is discriminatory towards young people. Because it only targets people under the age of 25, which could mean any young person. > What shopkeepers need to consider is young people are their customers as well and they could end up losing a lot of money by moving people along. > Because even if they go in a shop they will still hear the device. > In our campaign, we are targeting anyone who agrees with the Mosquito device, to try and change their opinion so that they agree with us, because frankly I just think they're terrible. > > Youth clubs would be a better answer, says Barry> If it was aimed at adults then everyone would be upset about it, but because it's young people no-one really cares. > There's adults who cause trouble as well, there a lot of anti-social behaviour caused by adults outside pubs when they come out as well. > I'd use things like CCTV cameras, because that picks up whoever's causing the problem. And use youth workers, who can go and talk to the young people and find out what they need and see what the problem is. > I know that anti-social behaviour is a problem but I just don't believe that Mosquito devices are the way to tackle it. > There isn't actually enough to do. Where I live there's a youth club that's only on one night a week. If it was on every night of the week then we'd have more to do. > We need to have more youth agencies, more places for young people to go to just sit and have fun with their friends. Play pool, watch TV, play computer games and stuff. I do believe that is a good idea. > I think people are being unfair by installing the Mosquito devices because just because there's a group of people, they could be there for any reason. > They could be waiting for another friend to come to the shop so they can meet up and go somewhere else. > I just don't think adults remember what it's like anymore. Times have changed. > > > Peter H > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > > > Sent from - a smarter inbox. > > Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance. > Confucius> > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Support the World Aids Awareness campaign this month with For Good http://uk.promotion s./ forgood/>

Confucius

Guest guest

i thought things were "big brotherish" here...but..after our trip over there last spring, my bacchus...

never knew you had soooooooooooooo many cameras...on street corners, in alleys...damn things were everywhere...

metalscarab Feb 13, 2008 1:52 AM Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Hi Peter

Maybe so - but legally speaking anything outside his shop is public property, and I have as much right to walk past it as he has. It is a criminal offence to cause harm to people in public space, or to do anything to unreasonably restrict their rights. So I would have the legal backing to make a stand!

Come to that, anyone has the right to get a court order to have him remove the device - if only those "under 25s" knew their rights better.... they have every right to hang out near shops, provided they don't harm or intimidate anyone in the rpocess. The shopkeeper is breaching their basic rights, not the other way around.

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab > Sent: Wednesday, 13 February, 2008 8:23:10 AMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Confucius

Guest guest

Hi fraggle

Yep - they're currently installing cameras along all roads, to ensure that we can't drive anywhere without someone in authority knowing exactly where we're going and when!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:40 PM

i thought things were "big brotherish" here...but..after our trip over there last spring, my bacchus...

never knew you had soooooooooooooo many cameras...on street corners, in alleys...damn things were everywhere...

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab > Sent: Wednesday, 13 February, 2008 8:23:10 AMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

As far as I know, we are the most 'watched' population in the world. Aren't we lucky.

BBJo

-

metalscarab

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:51 PM

Hi fraggle

Yep - they're currently installing cameras along all roads, to ensure that we can't drive anywhere without someone in authority knowing exactly where we're going and when!

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

Peter H

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

Stars on CCTV, my how the camera loves me...........

Peter H

jo <jo.heartwork Sent: Wednesday, 13 February, 2008 5:50:49 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

As far as I know, we are the most 'watched' population in the world. Aren't we lucky.

BBJo

-

metalscarab

@gro ups.com

Wednesday, February 13, 2008 4:51 PM

Hi fraggle

BB

Peter

-

fraggle

@gro ups.com

i thought things were "big brotherish" here...but.. after our trip over there last spring, my bacchus...

never knew you had soooooooooooooo many cameras...on street corners, in alleys...damn things were everywhere.. .

metalscarab Feb 13, 2008 1:52 AM @gro ups.com Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 13 February, 2008 8:23:10 AMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H

Guest guest

Did someone get to see Fraggles arse?

Peter H

fraggle <EBbrewpunx Sent: Wednesday, 13 February, 2008 4:40:38 PMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

i thought things were "big brotherish" here...but.. after our trip over there last spring, my bacchus...

never knew you had soooooooooooooo many cameras...on street corners, in alleys...damn things were everywhere.. .

metalscarab Feb 13, 2008 1:52 AM @gro ups.com Re: Mosquito device divides opinion

Hi Peter

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

metalscarab <metalscarab@ gmail.com>@gro ups.comWednesday, 13 February, 2008 8:23:10 AMRe: Mosquito device divides opinion

BB

Peter

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

Peter H

Jo

-

Peter VV

@gro ups.com

ROBERT GOUGH, SHOPKEEPER

Peter H