Guest guest Posted March 13, 2004 Report Posted March 13, 2004 This stuff is fantastic! I am addicted! Leah, shared this recipe with us a few weeks ago. This looked so wonderful that I had to try it. I finally made it today. I'm not sure I had ever used cardamom before...I had to purchase a bottle and let me tell ya, this stuff smells divine (fruity). I actually didn't use any precise measurments but I used all the ingredients and pert near the amounts, eyeing it. I used ground cardamom instead of the pods (found the ground first) and I used a mix of jalps and serranos (abundant down here) for the chiles. This schug has such a refreshing taste with a bite...this will be made over and over by me, no doubt. Yeehaw. I made a big batch of hummus. I took half the hummus and kept incorporating some of the schug until it tasted perfect. I tell ya what, I had only planned on using this as a condiment (it's great with tostada chips) but as Leah noted this will really enhance some entrees. ..love it. Excellent...thanks Leah!! Cheers, Shawn **needing more schug recipes** lol Yemen Schug Hot Green Chili Chutney 1 bunch of fresh coriander, leaves only (about 2 cups) 1 small head of garlic (8 cloves), peeled 1 tablespoon salt 6 ounces fresh hot green chili, seeded 1/4 teaspoon pepper 2 tablespoons ground cuminseed 4 cardamon pods, seeds only, or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom 4 whole cloves, broken up Process all the ingredients to a relatively smooth paste. Store in a jar with a tight cover. Refrigerate. Use in cooking as well as for a table condiment. " israeli pepper spread recipe " here is the recipe for schug.. it is the yemen recipe for it. in israel there are a few types of schug depending on where your roots are. one is green.. which is reallyyyyy hot and the yemen one is red which is hot enough. it seems i am like imune to it because i eat it so much lol. hope you enjoy. leah Quote
Guest guest Posted March 14, 2004 Report Posted March 14, 2004 im so happy you enjoyed it. yes when i smell it my mouth just waters lol. its the best:) i love eating it with chummus, pita, and cucumbers, tomatoes,and onions. i have to run now but i will share something else this goes wonderful with. must go now though. again, i am happy you liked it:) leah matrixenos <matrixenos wrote: This stuff is fantastic! I am addicted! Leah, shared this recipe with us a few weeks ago. This looked so wonderful that I had to try it. I finally made it today. I'm not sure I had ever used cardamom before...I had to purchase a bottle and let me tell ya, this stuff smells divine (fruity). I actually didn't use any precise measurments but I used all the ingredients and pert near the amounts, eyeing it. I used ground cardamom instead of the pods (found the ground first) and I used a mix of jalps and serranos (abundant down here) for the chiles. This schug has such a refreshing taste with a bite...this will be made over and over by me, no doubt. Yeehaw. I made a big batch of hummus. I took half the hummus and kept incorporating some of the schug until it tasted perfect. I tell ya what, I had only planned on using this as a condiment (it's great with tostada chips) but as Leah noted this will really enhance some entrees. ..love it. Excellent...thanks Leah!! Cheers, Shawn **needing more schug recipes** lol Yemen Schug Hot Green Chili Chutney 1 bunch of fresh coriander, leaves only (about 2 cups) 1 small head of garlic (8 cloves), peeled 1 tablespoon salt 6 ounces fresh hot green chili, seeded 1/4 teaspoon pepper 2 tablespoons ground cuminseed 4 cardamon pods, seeds only, or 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom 4 whole cloves, broken up Process all the ingredients to a relatively smooth paste. Store in a jar with a tight cover. Refrigerate. Use in cooking as well as for a table condiment. " israeli pepper spread recipe " here is the recipe for schug.. it is the yemen recipe for it. in israel there are a few types of schug depending on where your roots are. one is green.. which is reallyyyyy hot and the yemen one is red which is hot enough. it seems i am like imune to it because i eat it so much lol. hope you enjoy. leah Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You are posting as a guest. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.