IndiaDivine.org

-unsubscribe@onelist.com

Rate this topic

Guest guest

please

Chris Gambino <ChrisG212 wrote:

I know this is not a quick cooking meal, except for throwing it together and letting it cook in the crockpot, but this is the absolute most wonderful way I use TVP chunks. They go in the white-ish color and come out looking like chunks of steak, which I don't really care for but feeding others it works out great. I have only used the tvp, I have never tried the tofu in this recipe. This is wonderful, wonderful chili. We use it sometimes also to put on veggie dogs. BRYANNA’S LONG-COOKING PINTO BEAN CHILE MAKES 12 SERVINGSThis recipe, from which the two quick ones above were devised, appears in my first book, “The Almost No-Fat Cookbook”. I won first prize in our local chile contest with this chile—beat out all the meat ones!! 1 to 2 lbs. Frozen tofu (start with firm tofu for best results), thawed squeezed and crumbledOR use 1 and 1/2 dried textured soy protein (TVP) granules reconstituted in 1 and 1/4 c. boiling water (can double the amount of TVP and water, if you like)2 large onions, chopped4 cloves garlic, chopped4 T. chile powder (for a really good chile, use at least half dark chile powder, such as ancho)1 T. EACH dried oregano, ground cumin, and unsweetened organic cocoa (can use 2 T. cocoa for a very dark chile)1 bay leaf7 T. soy sauce1 tsp. sugar8 c. water1 crushed dried chile pepper2 tsp. saltpepper to taste4 c. dried pinto beans , SOAKED OVERNIGHT and drained2 small cans tomato pasteOPTIONAL THICKENER: 2-3 T. cornmeal or masa harina Mix all ingredients EXCEPT the cornmeal or masa in a large pot and bring to a boil. Boil for a few minutes, then turn down and simmer, covered, for about 4 hours. Taste for seasoning. Add the cornmeal or masa if you think it needs thickening and cook for a few minutes before serving. Can freeze.

I usually toss the larger chunk style TVP in stews and chilis and use the smaller variety in soups or when we are camping!No particular recipes, just some in and let it cook!!! Comes out wonderful! I agree with your friend about giving " bulk" to the meal!

ChrisGwife to Larry -15yrs. , Mom to Zak & Jay, 9 & 7 yrs."All television is educational television. The question is: what is it teaching?" - Nicholas JohnsonThe kindest way to make chicken soup is to leave out the chicken.-Alan Harriscontact owner: -owner Mail list: Delivered-mailing list List-Un: - no flaming arguing or denigration of others allowedcontact owner with complaints regarding posting/list or anything else. Thank you.please share/comment/inform and mostly enjoy this list