IndiaDivine.org

Not busy

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Crackers are celebration items made of fancy (usually foil) paper with a snap in the middle. The middle section contains a little paper hat, a motto (a joke or something silly) and a little present - like a Chinese puzzle, plastic yoyo, nail clippers etc. Two people hold one end each and pull - the cracker splits in half with a loud cracking sound (from the little bit of gunpowder on the two cardboard strips) and the hat and present falls out into your dinner.

Jo

-

fraggle

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:50 PM

Re: Not busy

ok..illuminate....

whats a christmas cracker???

crackers here are like, saltines....er maybe graham crackers...

History repeats itself

and each time the price gets higher

Our party poppers are quite small about 2 inches long while crackers are usually 10-12 inches long.

Jo

-

fraggle

Thursday, December 21, 2006 8:31 PM

sorta similar to a party popper

but, no, not really seen over here

think its a UK thing mostly....

peter VV Dec 21, 2006 2:33 PM Re: Not busy

Cristmas cracker is a paper thingy containing a novelty or toy, usualy a paper hat and a moto or joke. They go bang when you pull them. Dont they have these over there?

The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx wrote:

ok

now, whats a x-mas cracker shape then?

dammit, thought you folks spoke english!

KIDDING!!!!!!

i know, i know, we ruined yer language...

but seriously...x-mas cracker shape?

cracker as in cookie, er is a x-mas cracker something else?

(i get this image of a popper)

peter VV Dec 20, 2006 4:55 PM Re: Not busy

Nah, its a puff pastry concoction with two fillings. One in the main bit and a different one in the two "handles" if you think of a christmas cracker shape.

The Valley Vegan...........fraggle <EBbrewpunx (AT) earthlink (DOT) com> wrote:

ok..illuminate....

whats a christmas cracker???

crackers here are like, saltines....er maybe graham crackers... History repeats itself and each time the price gets higher

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine History repeats itself and each time the price gets higher

Peter H

Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.

Until lions have their historians, tales of the hunt shall always

glorify the hunter

well..if we didn't have x-mas crackers, why would we have x-mas hats that come out of x-mas crackers...with bad jokes...

Peter Dec 21, 2006 4:32 PM Re: Not busy 

Hi Fraggle

>what paper hats???

The ones you get out of the crackers, along with the very bad jokes....

BB

Peter

History repeats itself

and each time the price gets higher

Hi Fraggle

>well..if we didn't have x-mas crackers, why would we have x-mas hats that come out of x-mas crackers...with bad jokes...

To celebrate with them, of course ;-)

BB

Peter

The trouble is that being a virgo I am such a critic, and dont know when to shut my big gob sometimes. At least if I cock it up I can blame no-one but myself. Plus she does plenty, I like to share chores 50/50 in my house, after all she works full time as well. The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote: That's good. Tell your wife one or two of the fillings, then she can do them too - you'd like her to make them for

you, wouldn't you? Jo - peter VV Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:33 PM Re: Not busy Made 12 crackers in the end. Now my freezer is cram packed! I try and use a different filling every year, which drives my wife mad because she wants me to write down a recipe so that she can make them. The

Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Peter the crackers sound delicious. We use the shop bought pastry for Yule, nut roast en croute. I reckon the fog is here for a while - it seemed to get even thicker here this afternoon. We used to have ours at the end of the beds too - so did Laura and Peter. Jo - peter VV Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:49 PM Re: Not busy My christmas cracker surprises this year are a middle filling of roast vegetables ( butternut squash/fennel/red onion/yellow pepper/aubergine, fresh coriander, pine nuts and cous cous soaked in stock with a little spice, and the two end bits will be stuffed with mushroom rice ( shallots/field & dried mushrooms/ thyme/roast garlic/ basmati rice/white wine/some of the mushroom liqour). Tonight we assemble them with shop bought puff

pastry. Should be enough to make 10 ish. Never found a nut roast recipe that I liked? I like the sound of the cake. I think the fog will be around for another day yet. My girlies do not have stockings, well sort of, but with their main pile of presents, not like when I was a kid at the bottom of my bed ( always a leg off a pair of tights and always with a large orange in the toe ). The Valley Vegan...............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: Hi Peter What are your chrimbo cracker surprises like? We've just made a nut roast to cook tomorrow, and a Yule Log. We will also be making a Lemon Drizzle Cake.

Nobody wants a Christmas cake or pud this year. We've made cards, so not too much to do now. We'll just go out early to see the sunrise on Solstice - probably somewhere quite local. Mind you - I don't think we'll see the sun as we have had thick fog for the last two days and nights! On Sunday we joined the Druid Winter Solstice ritual at Wilmington, with 60 others. It was most enjoyable. Do your girls still have stockings? Jo - peter VV Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:25 PM Re: Not busy Just spent 2 hours in the kitchen making the stuffings for my chrimbo cracker surprises. Tommorrow I assemble the beasts, probably make about 10 ish for the freezer. Are you doing anything on Thursday for the Solstice? The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote: It's not very busy on here today - is everyone getting

ready forSolstice/Christmas/Yule?I've finished work now, until 2 January :-) I think I have done all myshopping - just a cake or two to bake now and the presents to wrap.Jo Peter H Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo. Peter H All New Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. Peter H The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address

from your Internet provider. Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

Very true Peter - my brother was a Virgo and I know just how picky they can be!

Luckily Colin does most of the cooking.

Jo

-

peter VV

Friday, December 22, 2006 8:09 PM

The trouble is that being a virgo I am such a critic, and dont know when to shut my big gob sometimes. At least if I cock it up I can blame no-one but myself.

Plus she does plenty, I like to share chores 50/50 in my house, after all she works full time as well.

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork wrote:

That's good. Tell your wife one or two of the fillings, then she can do them too - you'd like her to make them for you, wouldn't you?

Jo

-

peter VV

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 9:33 PM

Made 12 crackers in the end. Now my freezer is cram packed! I try and use a different filling every year, which drives my wife mad because she wants me to write down a recipe so that she can make them.

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Hi Peter

the crackers sound delicious. We use the shop bought pastry for Yule, nut roast en croute.

I reckon the fog is here for a while - it seemed to get even thicker here this afternoon.

We used to have ours at the end of the beds too - so did Laura and Peter.

Jo

-

peter VV

Wednesday, December 20, 2006 6:49 PM

My christmas cracker surprises this year are a middle filling of roast vegetables ( butternut squash/fennel/red onion/yellow pepper/aubergine, fresh coriander, pine nuts and cous cous soaked in stock with a little spice, and the two end bits will be stuffed with mushroom rice ( shallots/field & dried mushrooms/ thyme/roast garlic/ basmati rice/white wine/some of the mushroom liqour). Tonight we assemble them with shop bought puff pastry. Should be enough to make 10 ish.

Never found a nut roast recipe that I liked? I like the sound of the cake.

I think the fog will be around for another day yet.

My girlies do not have stockings, well sort of, but with their main pile of presents, not like when I was a kid at the bottom of my bed ( always a leg off a pair of tights and always with a large orange in the toe ).

The Valley Vegan...............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote:

Hi Peter

What are your chrimbo cracker surprises like? We've just made a nut roast to cook tomorrow, and a Yule Log. We will also be making a Lemon Drizzle Cake. Nobody wants a Christmas cake or pud this year. We've made cards, so not too much to do now.

We'll just go out early to see the sunrise on Solstice - probably somewhere quite local. Mind you - I don't think we'll see the sun as we have had thick fog for the last two days and nights! On Sunday we joined the Druid Winter Solstice ritual at Wilmington, with 60 others. It was most enjoyable.

Do your girls still have stockings?

Jo

-

peter VV

Tuesday, December 19, 2006 9:25 PM

Just spent 2 hours in the kitchen making the stuffings for my chrimbo cracker surprises. Tommorrow I assemble the beasts, probably make about 10 ish for the freezer.

Are you doing anything on Thursday for the Solstice?

The Valley Vegan............jo <jo.heartwork > wrote:

It's not very busy on here today - is everyone getting ready forSolstice/Christmas/Yule?I've finished work now, until 2 January :-) I think I have done all myshopping - just a cake or two to bake now and the presents to wrap.Jo

Peter H

Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo.

Peter H

All New Mail – Tired of Vi@gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

Peter H

The all-new Mail goes wherever you go - free your email address from your Internet provider.

Peter H

All new Mail "The new Interface is stunning in its simplicity and ease of use." - PC Magazine

i would think you'd want to celebrate with friends and family

but..if you want to celebrate with hats, more power to ya!

:)

Peter Dec 22, 2006 9:27 AM Re: Not busy 

Hi Fraggle

>well..if we didn't have x-mas crackers, why would we have x-mas hats that come out of x-mas crackers...with bad jokes...

BB

Peter

I'm getting Pissed for X-mas

Just like the rest of the Year

There's no future in this lonely world

So might as well have a beer

Hi Fraggle

>i would think you'd want to celebrate with friends and family

>but..if you want to celebrate with hats, more power to ya!

Well, friends and family are welcome as well.... as long as they wear silly hats :-)

BB

Peterr

They are not mutually exclusive - i.e. you can celebrate with both.

Jo

-

fraggle

Tuesday, December 26, 2006 7:06 PM

i would think you'd want to celebrate with friends and family

but..if you want to celebrate with hats, more power to ya!

Peter Dec 22, 2006 9:27 AM Re: Not busy 

Hi Fraggle

BB

Peter

I'm getting Pissed for X-mas

Just like the rest of the Year

There's no future in this lonely world

So might as well have a beer